Author Topic: CoH Comic Index  (Read 4209 times)

Sin Stalker

• Boss
CoH Comic Index
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:08 AM »
So we have been trying to get www.cohcomicindex.com up and running. Still many problems though that prevent us from being fully functional.

The site is meant to be something to replace hypercomics.com way back when people in coh were making their own comics left and right and uploading them all to there for all to see.
This takes that and expands upon it. Not only can people create pages for their comic, their own authors page, upload their comics, etc, but we try and put up all kinds of useful links, guides, tips and more to help people create their own comics. It helps the coh community in many different ways.

Anyways, many of the problems we are facing are spam bots, security, etc. Now I've been trying to research and figure out what to do however I suck at coding. I barely understand basic html and so php is just alien to me. Now I'm hoping the answer lays with you all.

I've asked this before and the reply was to look at it again in a few months as you were all very busy. Well it has been a long time now and I am asking again, hoping for a better answer. :)

I am asking if the comic index could be brought into the titan network family. This will solve our main site issues (account and security) and allow us to focus more on the content. The CCC has been at this site for years now, so we are here to stay.
If its a matter of transfering all files to you guys and you hosting it on your site, thats doable. Can easily reroute the domains and such. If its another issue we at the CCC haven't considered, I'm hoping you'll be able to post or private message and perhaps work with us, so we can get to where we need to be to join you.

There is a very large under community of comic makers in coh. Many stop before they have even started as they aren't sure where to even begin. Others start but leave work half finished, confused at how to go about screen shots, demo editing and more. Others create one, maybe two and then walk away as where to host, gain attention and such has no main definitive direction. There are so many times when I am playing the game and some random person messages me to tell me they like my comic or like the CCC's collaborative work. We even have coh forum mods like Avatea who message me or other CCC members, pointing out new comic makers who show up, so we can help guide them in a sense. Give tips or whatnot.

There is definitely a need/demand for this, however, after the destruction of hypercomics, awareness is declined. For the last several years I've gone out and found other coh comic makers. Bringing together and forming the CCC or just simply helping them in whatever way I can. If joining is just a matter of proving this, we can backup the current index site, really open the site up to everyone on the forums, advertising it more and such, and let the traffic in. There will be lots of chaos from spam bots and the like, however if that's what it takes to find a home in the titan network, then that's what we will have to do. I'm hoping we don't have to do that specifically. So I am begging you, please seriously consider bringing the CoH Comic Index into the Titan family and what needs to be done for this to occur.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sin Stalker

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: CoH Comic Index
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »
I wish we could, I really, really do.  Truth be known, though, we've got a whole bunch of irons in the fire right now.  We've been battling some server glitches of our own lately; nothing too terribly serious, but serious enough to cause a few outages over the past couple of weeks.  Also, with the current sites steadily growing, we're creeping up to the point where we might have to consider storage in the medium-term future.  Again, nothing immediately worrisome, but I'm just kind of hesitant to commit to hosting some large-ish files.

But more than anything else, right now, we have pretty much everyone on the team really busy right now.  Paragon Studio has been releasing updates like crazy lately, much more than we've ever seen.  It's demanded a lot of software and database updates and kept the Wiki Administration team crazy busy updating everything.  In addition to all of that, we're also plugging away at a major revamp of the Titan Network.

I'm saying all of that not to make excuses, but to explain why, even though I think the CoH Comic Index is a crazy good idea, I just don't think it's something we just can undertake right now.  I really wish we could, because I want the Titan Network to be a vast resource of all kinds of player-generated information.  I really hope that at some point we can.  But for now, I'm genuinely concerned that if we take on a project like this right now, it would push out a lot of work we're really trying to get done even further, and possibly jeopardize our ability just to keep up with our existing projects.

If we had our own dedicated server, I probably wouldn't hesitate to carve off a slice and at the very least transfer what you've got, host it, and probably beef up security and toss in some anti-spam measures.  With the VPS we've got now, though, we really would have to put some time, planning, and elbow grease into integrating it with the rest of our sites and making sure we don't blow anything up.

You're definitely on my radar, but until we get the revamp pushed out and a couple of semi-major projects we've been working on completed, we're having to put some other things we want to undertake on the backburner.

BattlerockX

• Minion
    • Battlerock Comics
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
I appreciate you guys keeping us on the radar, Tony.

Hey, how about that ATL weather?  Within the span of 2 weeks we had rain coming from the north, west, east, and now south.  The only thing missing for us are those Zombie-Apocalypse-style red dust-storms.   ;D

I wish we could, I really, really do.  Truth be known, though, we've got a whole bunch of irons in the fire right now.  We've been battling some server glitches of our own lately; nothing too terribly serious, but serious enough to cause a few outages over the past couple of weeks.  Also, with the current sites steadily growing, we're creeping up to the point where we might have to consider storage in the medium-term future.  Again, nothing immediately worrisome, but I'm just kind of hesitant to commit to hosting some large-ish files.

But more than anything else, right now, we have pretty much everyone on the team really busy right now.  Paragon Studio has been releasing updates like crazy lately, much more than we've ever seen.  It's demanded a lot of software and database updates and kept the Wiki Administration team crazy busy updating everything.  In addition to all of that, we're also plugging away at a major revamp of the Titan Network.

I'm saying all of that not to make excuses, but to explain why, even though I think the CoH Comic Index is a crazy good idea, I just don't think it's something we just can undertake right now.  I really wish we could, because I want the Titan Network to be a vast resource of all kinds of player-generated information.  I really hope that at some point we can.  But for now, I'm genuinely concerned that if we take on a project like this right now, it would push out a lot of work we're really trying to get done even further, and possibly jeopardize our ability just to keep up with our existing projects.

If we had our own dedicated server, I probably wouldn't hesitate to carve off a slice and at the very least transfer what you've got, host it, and probably beef up security and toss in some anti-spam measures.  With the VPS we've got now, though, we really would have to put some time, planning, and elbow grease into integrating it with the rest of our sites and making sure we don't blow anything up.

You're definitely on my radar, but until we get the revamp pushed out and a couple of semi-major projects we've been working on completed, we're having to put some other things we want to undertake on the backburner.

Sin Stalker

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »

Understandable. Keep in mind you'll have myself and probably Battlerock X here to help out as well.

What host do you use for your network? I've been using fastdomain.com and its been perfect. Plus "unlimited" storage and bandwidth. I dont know if it would be possible to somehow get the account creation stuff through you guys and keep it hosted on my rented server? I dont know if that would make it possible.

Pretty much I'm at wits end with this darn thing. I've been working on it the last few days straight, changing the php code and stuff. The result? Nothing changed at all. Just some weird glitch that displays these user groups that I dont want or doubles them.

If you are able to see if any of your team would be willing to help us out, that would be great. We need some change to the security (whether by joining titan or its own security) to keep us afloat. Its been a very very long time and we still haven't gotten the site secure enough to post to the rest of the forums regularly and really push traffic in.

Right now I've been trying to edit the group permissions so new/basic accounts can't edit or anything. I figure we could setup a forum or something for the person to message us that they want the ability to add.

Either that or I am trying to make it that any new accounts need to be authorized by a mod/admin. Possibly add one of those boxes where you need to type the random letters to prove you arent a bot. Problem with any of this is that I'm completely lost. Been searching the web trying to figure it out to no avail.

Honestly nearing giving up as I've reached a plateau of what I can do myself. So I'm really hoping you have someone that would be willing to spend the time to help set whatever we can up. If we can, then we can keep going on. If not, I'm not sure what the future of the site is going to be honestly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:43:59 PM by Sin_Stalker »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
Do you have Skype or Gtalk?

Sin Stalker

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
never heard of gtalk. I have skype, yes.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Pretty sure by now Tony's the only one who uses Google Talk. (-:

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:07 AM »
never heard of gtalk. I have skype, yes.

Hit me up at TonyV.ParagonWiki sometime.

Sin Stalker

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
Cool. I will.

the update with the site is we have been able to remove all abilities except to read from the normal user group.

Now I've created a new group called Full User and gave them all the user group abilities. Problem is it refuses to let me put anyone in that group. It has the check mark to promote, however when I click save, the Full User check disappears and they aren't added to it.

No idea on the email confirmation yet. Been testing most of the week and haven't been able to get anywhere really. I was researching for months (as RL stuff prevented me from putting the time in to also edit and such).

So if anyone is able to help out or at least point us to a "how-to" page, we would be most appreciative.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 04:05:43 AM »
Okay, for anyone else following along this thread, we got him set up with reCAPTCHA last night.  Hopefully that will cut down significantly on the spam he's getting.

BattlerockX

• Minion
    • Battlerock Comics
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
Okay, for anyone else following along this thread, we got him set up with reCAPTCHA last night.  Hopefully that will cut down significantly on the spam he's getting.

Thanks Tony.   Sin had me test it on my end and it works quite well.