Author Topic: Gee, where have I heard this before?  (Read 1675 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Gee, where have I heard this before?
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »
Just as a matter of general interest, DC Universe Online is moving to a hybrid tiered system, allowing players to choose between--I shit you not--a Free, a Premium, and a "Legendary" level.  Free players will have the ability to create up to two characters, and purchase additional options.  Premium players is anyone who has spent at least $5 on subscription fees or downloadable content, and will have access to more stuff.  "Legendary" players pay $15 per month to get access to lots of character slots and other perks.  All of this is supposedly going live at the end of October.  The President of SOE actually is quoted as saying, "...We believe this new model will expand the DCUO experience and offer more options that cater to every type of player so they can play the game in a way that fits them."

WOW!  Friggin' geniuses, those folks at Sony must be to come up with such a new and original idea!  I wonder at which level I get to have my personal information stolen and sold to the Russian mafia?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:37:03 AM by TonyV »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Gee, where have I heard this before?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
In soviet Russia, game plays you!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Derek Icelord

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
My favorite part of that news post you linked to is the booby prize of extra game time.

"Hey, we let some Russian guy steal your bank account information! But don't worry, we're giving you free time on crap games to make up for it!"
Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Tempest56

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
My favorite part of that news post you linked to is the booby prize of extra game time.

"Hey, we let some Russian guy steal your bank account information! But don't worry, we're giving you free time on crap games to make up for it!"

Now now - they gave some free time on Planetside, and that game was good despite being ruined by SOE.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Hey, what happened to the biased rant and crimson pennies?

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
I picked up a DCUO account a few days after it went live. The game play was lots of fun and the story arcs going up were great. The world is also beautiful.

But the grind to get decent gear once you hit 30 was too much for me. That game is not alt friendly. I was 2-3 pieces away from completing my rare gear set when Sony got hacked. I couldn't get the will to get back into the grind.

I do look forward to playing again occasionally, and with it being f2p that will make it all the easier.

But yeah, not surprised it went f2p or with a hybrid model.  I'm seeing the hybrid model as the new way for MMOs.
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:17:56 AM »
I just found it curious that their announcement came in the midst of CoH's Free-to-play launch.  To me that says SOE thinks NCsoft is a worthy enough competitor to need to steal some of our thunder.