Author Topic: HP TouchPads: If you can find one, buy it!  (Read 966 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
HP TouchPads: If you can find one, buy it!
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
Hey all, just as a matter of general interest, HP announced last week that they're discontinuing the HP TouchPad tablet that they launched just three months or so ago.  They were pretty stupid throughout the launch; they first sold it at the same price of the iPad, with a fraction of the apps, and it didn't sell.  (Duh.)  Two price cuts ($100) later, it was still moving miserable quantities.

Today, since it's discontinued, everyone is offering them at fire sale prices: $99 for the 16 GB model, $149 for the 32 GB model.  Although it's discontinued, it still has base tablet functionality built into it, including stuff like a media player, web browser, e-mail client, etc.  At that price, even with no support or updates, it's a steal.

The problem is that a lot of people now know this and around where I live (Atlanta), everyone has snatched them up.  If you live in a smaller rural area, though, where there's not such a concentration of technical people who keep up with this stuff, there's a fair-to-decent chance you might be able to get one if you call around at your local Wal-Mart, Office Depot, Staples, Microcenter, Best Buy, etc.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: HP TouchPads: If you can find one, buy it!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
I sicced my mom on my hometown. It's only 100k people - and it's in redneck country - so maybe there's one (or more!) left. I have been looking for a good tablet for cheap, and I don't care if there won't be any official updates/support...I just want it for email and web browser, mostly for work (I can leech off the McDonald's wifi next door - and it makes looking up people's auto problems so much easier!)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal