Author Topic: Problem with mids  (Read 4169 times)

bigjman

• Underling
Problem with mids
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
Hi all, Ive been having an issue with mids for a while now where most stuff because "blacked out". This will happen with both new builds and if i try to open a previous build. I did a little searching but did not find anything related to my issue so forgive me if their is a known issue on this. Occasionally deleting and re-installing it will fix it but that is the only way and even then it is just a temp solution as it will revert back to this state. I have tried changing my video drivers as well and that did not seem to help. Im running winxp sp3 with nvidia gtx 460

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: Problem with mids
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
Very odd. I've seen something similar happen as a result of missing DLL files, but there's usually an error message that accompanies that. I can't think of anything off the top of my head without looking into weird issues with drivers and refresh rates and such...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
There's a big black bar covering levels 8, 10, 24, and 26 power choices. Is that "invisible hover text" for a power or is that the MIA error message? I would think the error message would pop up as a Windows-managed error window but I've seen stranger things.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »
I see something similar all the time when toggling to/from foreground where the GPU has to refresh the screen. It's More promenant when ingame toggling back and forth(during lvling, etc) because I'm likely pushing my video memory limits. You may wanna try shutting down some stuff and see how that affects it. Does it do this on startup or just when you start/open a build? It 'sounds' kinda like the image files used to show the visuals are damaged. Try a complete uninstall, delete Dir, re-DL the app, install fresh. Goto the dir and see if you can manually 'Preview' the images in the Dir and then make a new scratch build to retest your original conditions. I can see where the DLL files being corrupted could cause this too and also agree that the black bar is the location of a hover text window trying to form.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

bigjman

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:36 AM »
There's a big black bar covering levels 8, 10, 24, and 26 power choices. Is that "invisible hover text" for a power or is that the MIA error message? I would think the error message would pop up as a Windows-managed error window but I've seen stranger things.

The big black bar is actually invisible hover text you cant see my mouse but i put it there on purpose to make the hover text. I have never had an actual error message associated with this issue

I see something similar all the time when toggling to/from foreground where the GPU has to refresh the screen. It's More promenant when ingame toggling back and forth(during lvling, etc) because I'm likely pushing my video memory limits. You may wanna try shutting down some stuff and see how that affects it. Does it do this on startup or just when you start/open a build? It 'sounds' kinda like the image files used to show the visuals are damaged. Try a complete uninstall, delete Dir, re-DL the app, install fresh. Goto the dir and see if you can manually 'Preview' the images in the Dir and then make a new scratch build to retest your original conditions. I can see where the DLL files being corrupted could cause this too and also agree that the black bar is the location of a hover text window trying to form.

I think you may be on to something because something happened today that ive never seen happen. I logged into coh and went to the enhancement screen, i then opened mids which got me to my screenie. I played with mids for a bit but couldnt figure it out so i logged off coh and came here and made my post. Not 10 minutes after i was done posting i switched to mids to close it and it was working fine. I am going to try what you mentioned to see if that works and further test with logging in and out of coh

*edit* to answer your question it does it on startup and when i try and open a build it will continue. However i do not think ive ever had it be fine on startup and then go to that after loading a build
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:26:34 AM by bigjman »

scope.creep

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »
I would also like to report this problem.  It happens sporadically -- sometimes everything works fine; other times it doesn't.  Unfortunately, I seem to be having the problem more often than not lately.  This is with both v1.94 and v1.95.  I'm running XP SP3 with a GeForce 9800 GT video card.  I have not updated drivers lately (within the past several months).

As you can see in the screenshot below, the pop-up text block is entirely black.  (The mouse is hovering over one of the Crushing Impact IOs in Stone Mallet.)  Also notice that the top row of buttons in the pane is not there.  I can get them to appear by click-dragging another window over the Mids' window and "scrubbing" the other window around, but that doesn't work on the pop-ups, since they aren't there without the mouseover.  Additionally, the information window in the lower-left corner either doesn't update on mouseover or doesn't update completely, depending... which is not indicated clearly in the screenshot.

When everything is working properly, everything continues to work properly.  Only once do I recall everything "fixing" itself when it opened in screwy mode; I had minimized it instead of closing it and came back hours later.  I have (rarely) been able to close Mids' and re-open it to find it happy.  I use Mids' both when playing CoH and when not.  (Sometimes just playing in Mids' is enough fun by itself -- by the way, thanks for an awesome and fun app!)
-sc

*edit
I forgot to mention that when I change either powerset drop-down selection, it does not update the powers list(s).  I can get it to update the powers by more "scrubbing" with another window.

It really seems to be a refresh/redraw issue.

Thx.
-sc
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:15:01 AM by scope.creep »

eshirako

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

Just to chime in with my $0.02, I see this as well and have for several revisions now.  If it happens while I'm in City, I can sometimes get it to recover by closing my web browser, but most times it won't correct until I exit City /and/ all running instances of Mids.  After doing that, starting Mids once again will show normally.  I can go back into City, then load or save or run new instances or quit old ones until suddenly I'll go to load a new instance and it will never again show the text, until I quit City and Mids once again.

...I never thought to report it because I thought only *MY* system was being a retard!  *sheepish look*

-liz

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
     Just to chime in with my $0.02, I see this as well and have for several revisions now.  If it happens while I'm in City, I can sometimes get it to recover by closing my web browser, but most times it won't correct until I exit City /and/ all running instances of Mids.  After doing that, starting Mids once again will show normally.  I can go back into City, then load or save or run new instances or quit old ones until suddenly I'll go to load a new instance and it will never again show the text, until I quit City and Mids once again.

...I never thought to report it because I thought only *MY* system was being a retard!  *sheepish look*

-liz

you're not the only one. I did wonder if it was my system but this seems to be something happening to me a lot - I'm quite relieved to know it's not just me  :)

scope.creep

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:35 AM »
I just encountered a twist.  I had already opened Mids' planner.  I was getting the black boxes for pop-up info and all the rest of the usual symptoms for this problem.  I opened the CoH launcher -- no change.  I clicked CoH and then clicked the "play" button.  In the transition between the launcher closing and the game opening, Mids' magically started showing content in the info boxes.  Yay?  I'll report back any other oddities that I find that might help figure this one out.