Author Topic: IM NEW ANY THING TO HELP ME IN CITY OF HEROS PLZ  (Read 2563 times)

ryanhenderson

• Underling
IM NEW ANY THING TO HELP ME IN CITY OF HEROS PLZ
« on: December 31, 2010, 02:18:13 AM »
Im going to start playing city of heros can u tell me some tips who to be who not to be?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: IM NEW ANY THING TO HELP ME IN CITY OF HEROS PLZ
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
As long as you don't use all caps, and don't act like an idiot or a jerk, there is no wrong way to play City. Try every archetype, try multiple powersets from each archetype. Play what sounds fun first, and then learn the ins and outs once you're more familiar with the game.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Im going to start playing city of heros can u tell me some tips who to be who not to be?

Don't be Spiderman, or Superman, or Wonder Woman, or... well, any existing comic book character.  If you try, you'll be "genericked," where they reset your name and/or costume and/or bio to be blank.  You'll also likely get people treating you kind of nasty for being an imitator.

Sort of in the vein of what Agge was saying, diligently avoid "farming" teams.  They will suck the fun out of your game faster than a speed boosted Synapse.  I know some people might take exception to this, but avoid the Freedom server, at least at first.  That's where most of the farmers live.  (Note that I'm not saying that everyone on Freedom is a farmer, just that because of its size, it has disproportionately many of them.)  Play the game at least at first by going through your contacts, reading the missions, and enjoying the newness of it all.  Unlike a lot of other games, the fun in City of Heroes doesn't start at level 50.  In fact, a lot of people find playing level 50 characters tedious and opt instead to re-roll a lot of characters (aka "altitis").

I'd suggest trying to hook up with a new-player-friendly supergroup.  You can post a message on your server's official forum (boards.cityofheroes.com) asking for suggestions.

ryanhenderson

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
okay thank you for all you help :P how long have u two been playing this game?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »
Also, if you join the NPC global channel (New Player Channel), there are a lot of veteran players on that channel to help answer questions from new player.

You can join by using the following command:

/chan_join "N P C"
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

ryanhenderson

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
alrite thank you and more tips or anything helpfull just post and ill read thank you so much!!

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
Team Team Team

For me and a lot of people I know, soloing in CoH is like watching paint dry. That all changes in a team setting (even bad ones!), the game really shines and is a lot of fun. Don't sit around waiting for others to invite you, CoH probably has the best Chat / Team UI of any MMO I've ever seen, make use of it and build your own teams.

When you interact with others or are attempting to invite people to a team, don't use leet/texting speak, that turns many people away. For example: "wana tem??" will not get many responses if you're trying to build a team. "Want to join a level 24 mission team in Talos?" will allow you to recruit much much faster.

Use your teaming flags, if you feel like teaming but don't want to form one, put your LFT (White Circle) flag up, that way team leaders will invite you first because your name is at the top of the search list.

Disclaimer: There are indeed a lot of soloists in CoH and while I don't see the fun in it, I'm sure there is some merit to it. I'm just pointing out to a new player that some of the best stuff in CoH lies in teaming for most people.

Paladin

• Underling
  • I Stand Upon The Wall
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »
I agree with nearly everything posted above me.

A couple of suggestions for a new player to City of Heroes.

I urge you to check out the various Forums, including the City of Heroes Forums (access from the 1st Screen when you start the game BEFORE clicking the next button on the lower left).  Also Titan Paragonwiki, Bagde Hunter.com, and others.  I suggest checking out the City of Hero Forums on Character Archtype Builds. 

For some people it can be fun just to create a number of different "TOONS" (Characters) and see how the different Powersets play.  IMHO Scrappers can be the "most" quick fun for someone who is new. 

City of Heroes has one of the best varities of Costumes and other character design features.  I urge you to take time designing your character, including writing a couple of paragraphs of BACKGROUND for your Hero (or Villian).  Not only does it let other players in on Your character concept; it can help You think a bit about Who Your Toon is!  To me this adds more fun to be playing a character that IS Somebody!

Content is what too many players in MMO's rush on by trying to get to the highest level ASAP (then cry "There is no content!").  Enjoy the Rich Content in City of Heroes, and city of villians.  Many of the story lines give clues and/or background to the Task Forces, and other events that take place in City of Heroes/City of Villians.
DUTY, it is the most sublime word in the English languge, you can never do more, you should never wish to do less.

DeesBlueToo

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:15 AM »
So I am guessing people are still playing this game. I was worried everyone up and left it. Glad to see its still alive.. *smiles*