Author Topic: Weird Update/close loop  (Read 3909 times)

tbolling

• Underling
Weird Update/close loop
« on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »

This is odd.  After getting the bad file, I pulled the latest version of the .exe and it installs fine.  When I run the program from the installer, it runs great. (Thanks, guys!)

But, when I try to execute from the desktop shortcut, it pops up an error message that it has an un-installed package or somesuch, and wants to close so it can install it.  But then it just loops on that message, endlessly.  Well, for at least a hundred or so loops, anyway.

When I shut the machine down, it pops up the below debug. 

This is reproducible on my Win7 64 bit system ad-nauseum.  Please to help, it's tiresome to have to re-install every time I wanna run Mid's. :D

INFO:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Hero_Designer.frmMain.CloseCommand()
   at Hero_Designer.frmMain.frmMain_Closing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Hero Designer
    Assembly Version: 1.6.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.6.001
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Titan%20Network/Mids%20Hero%20Designer/Hero%20Designer.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
midsControls
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Titan%20Network/Mids%20Hero%20Designer/midsControls.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: Weird Update/close loop
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
Check to see if you have an mhd.mhz file in the Mids folder and if so, delete it.

tbolling

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »

I did, and I do not.

I've got the hero designer app and an MHDloader application, along with four .dll's, two image folders, a license, a readme, and the uninstall . The desktop shortcut complained when I deleted the MHDloader and wanted it back:  I restored it, same loop issue.

I opened the folder and created a new shortcut that I confirmed was pointed at the hero designer.exe: It still wanted the MHDloader and would loop if it was present or would fail with a 'required file missing' error if it was removed.

(sigh)

I deleted the whole folder, re-downloaded, and re-installed.  Exact same issue.

Now, I did get the evil mhd.mhz file when you first released this, but I deleted that entire folder as well, days ago, after running the uninstall app in the folder.

This is thoroughly horked.

Any ideas?  I have the downloaded file and can simply re-install every time I want to run this, but that....stinks.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
That sounds like a normal list. MHDloader is necessary - it's the file that actually does the updates, so that I can replace the herodesigner.exe file without worries about file conflicts.

I'm curious about it saying that you have an update that needs to be applied when you don't have the mhd.mhz file in the folder. It should only be giving you that message when it detects the file (that's how it knows to update :P).

Are you running the apps as administrator? I'd suggest running both designer.exe and then mhdloader.exe as administrator and seeing if that finally resolves this. You aren't the only one who is getting this kind of thing, so I want to resolve this in time for the next version of Mids (this week).

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Could you try installing it to somewhere other than C:Program Files? Win7 has a big problem with that folder sometimes.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,3562.msg34955.html#msg34955
Need to delete it out from your virtual store directory.  Enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\ in the address bar in Windows Explorer and delete any "Titan Network" or "Mids Hero Designer" folders there.

Check your VirtualStore directory.  The mhd.mhz gets written there.

tbolling

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,3562.msg34955.html#msg34955
Check your VirtualStore directory.  The mhd.mhz gets written there.

To answer:

Yes I am running as administrator.

I checked the Virtual Store directory, there was no mhd.mhz there.

I ripped out the latest install (again) and re-installed, this time to the desktop: Voila!  Now it works fine for ten open/close iterations.

WEIRD.

I will open some builds, tinker about, and if there are any further issues, will let you know.  I wish you luck tracking this one, that's just plain wacky.  :)

xoid

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
I was getting this too on my Windows 7 x64 machine.  What I found is if I right clicked on the program short cut and choose "Run as Administrator" it would work but if I just clicked the link it wouldn't.  This is a change of behavior from previous versions where I just had to choose "Run as Administrator" for the installer, so that may be causing some people confusion when you ask if they are running as administrator.

I right clicked my shortcut and went to properties/shortcut/advanced and checked the "Run as Administrator" box and now it works fine.

Dr. Cause

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »
Win7 x64.   I also got the bad mhd.mhz file.   Uninstalled reinstalled with the correct one and now as long as I set the shortcut to runas Admin then all is fine.  However, if I don't run as Admin then I get the above describe loop about applying an uninstalled update.

Terminating the process via Task Manager or shutting down is the only way to escape the loop.

Not a major deal I just have to be careful not to double click on Builds since that starts Mid's with the preference to runas Admin leading to the loop.

Update:

Even weirder:  Just tested again and now no longer loops.  It loops once then opens with the last build Mid's was closed with instead of the build I was doubling clicking.  XD

Meddik

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
Found mine in Virtualstore, under the x64 Program files. Took it out, all works fine now.

Freakyliciousss

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
I am getting a similar loop using Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Freakyliciousss

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »
And when I stop the loop to look at my builds, my blasters do not load, and I do not hav ethe mhd.mhz file on either of my computers.

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
What happens if you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer (assuming that's where you installed it) and right-click Hero Designer.exe and select Run as Administrator on the Vista computer? What happens if you go to the install location and run Hero Designer.exe from there on the XP machine?

Freakyliciousss

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »
Still getting update loop and still will not open my blasters.

Derek Icelord

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:38:01 AM »
I found this fix worked for me:

• Go into the install directory and run Hero Designer.exe
  • D/L and install the update
  • Choose "No" at the prompt and manually close Mids'
  • Run MHDLoader.exe

I ran both programs as an Administrator in Windows 7 and everything was good. Hopefully this will work for you.
Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
MHDLoader.exe is the file that actually performs updates (this is so that we can replace the Hero Designer.exe file during the update process). One of the suggestions for fixing these bugs is running that exe file as administrator directly.

Soon enough, I'm going to replace the loader exe with a different one with Update in the name, just so that it will always trigger UAC. :/