Author Topic: Greasemonkey forwarding script  (Read 2744 times)

plasma

• Underling
Greasemonkey forwarding script
« on: November 09, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
I got tired of google results still referencing the wikia.com site, so I wrote a greasemonkey script to rewrite the results:

http://www.ender.com/~matt/paragonwiki.html

This generally means if, like me, you search on google for stuff like "Positron Task Force" and end up with a wikia.com link as the first result, it will be rewritten by greasemonkey to point to paragonwiki.com instead. (Likewise, it will forward your browser; if some link takes you to paragonwiki.com/Foo_Bar, it will automatically rewrite it and send you to paragonwiki.com/Foo_Bar)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Greasemonkey forwarding script
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
I don't search google: I put Paragon Wiki into my search bar; by selecting the little dropdown menu any time you're on a Paragon Wiki page, you can insert Paragon Wiki into the list of searchers.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »
I don't search google: I put Paragon Wiki into my search bar; by selecting the little dropdown menu any time you're on a Paragon Wiki page, you can insert Paragon Wiki into the list of searchers.
I set up Paragonwiki as a keyword search in Firefox. So I type for example "pw attack mechanics" in my address bar and it reaches the Attack Mechanics page. :)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »
That's cool.

Yeah, Wikia is a lot better than the Titan Network at one thing: getting their results ranked higher in search engines.  I remember an e-mail I received from them when we were still there asking me to change the title of all of the pages to whatever it is now ([article name] - City of Heroes Wiki - City of Heroes , City of Villains, Going Rogue, and more).  Compare this with the Paragon Wiki ([article name] - Paragon Wiki).  The reason why, of course, is so that all of their pages get ranked higher in search engines.  The reason why we don't do that on the Paragon Wiki, of course, is because it's obnoxious.  In fact, the only real reason that "Paragon Wiki" is in there is because MediaWiki does that by default and I've never bothered to change it.

Meh, I don't really care, to be honest.  Yeah, I'd like for our search results to score higher in Google, but I'm not going to play silly SEO games to make that happen.  I think that virtually all of the community knows which wiki is better, word of mouth spreads fast, and our visitor numbers beat the tar out of theirs any day.  Not that the raw numbers really matter; their goal is to maximize revenue, which I assume they do.  Our goal is to provide a useful resource to the community, which we do.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
Wikis being wikis, I think the most important number is the number of edits over a given time span.  If people find a wiki to be a valuable resource, they're more likely to help maintain the information on it.

We definitely have the advantage there.

The only thing I miss about the Black Pit of Despair is the Users list.  Ours doesn't display the number of edits or the last time users logged in.  (And it amuses me to see who the most prolific editors on their wiki are.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:07:05 AM »
Yeah, I'd like for our search results to score higher in Google, but I'm not going to play silly SEO games to make that happen.  I think that virtually all of the community knows which wiki is better, word of mouth spreads fast, and our visitor numbers beat the tar out of theirs any day.
The Wikia also doesn't have the game itself directing players there ;)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
The Wikia also doesn't have the game itself directing players there ;)

SCORE!!!  ;D