Author Topic: Site Moderation  (Read 1728 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Site Moderation
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Hey all,

Today I've been going through recent Faces uploads and moderating them.  Some of you have probably found some of your pictures and/or comments deleted, and hopefully you will have come here first before firing off angry e-mails to me or our moderators.

I just wanted to post a notice that we do moderate these sites for inappropriate content, and as needed, remove it. This includes all Titan Network sites, but most commonly affects users of CoH Faces.

I'll post better guidelines later (we've actually discussed an official "Terms of Service"), but for now, please be aware that if you post any pictures or comments that contain sexually explicit imagery or language, or explicit language that probably wouldn't pass muster on cable television (basic, not premium channels ;)), or racially, ethnically, sexually... um... orientationally, or religiously intolerant or attacking stuff, we will be blowing it away. Some examples include various forms of the n----- word, the f--- bomb, "gay" when used in a derogatory manner, references to genitalia, etc.

Another huge no-no is posting pictures of other people and implying that it's you. We've had to moderate pictures and accounts of some users who thought it would be funny to take other people's pictures, photoshop them in non-flattering manners, and repost them. No, we don't find that very funny at all. We've also had situations in which users reposted pictures of other users with derogatory comments. That kind of stuff can and will get you banned, so don't do it.

Also, although this isn't a strict requirement, please remember what the purpose of CoH Faces is--to help build the CoH community. While I don't mind off-topic posts of pictures so much, I also hope that folks won't use Faces as their own Photobucket, uploading a ton of funny pictures and such. We do have only a finite amount of space on the server, and so far, we haven't had to impose limits, but I have noticed a few users who post a lot of pictures that they swipe from other sites. Take a look at your profile, and if more than 10% or so of the photos aren't either of you personally or directly related to CoH in some way, I really wish you'd consider opening a Photobucket account or something instead.

We'll post more detailed information about moderation later and we're also hoping to add some new features before too terribly long to allow more flexibility and functionality in creating a more social network-like site, but until we do, please use your common sense in what you post. This is supposed to be fun, and I want to spend as little time as possible being the content cop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:53:20 PM by TonyV »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Site Moderation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
I'm stickying this.  Don't make me get out the banhammer, folks; I really don't want to have to do that.

In case anyone is thinking, "But that picture isn't that bad...", keep in mind that I'm also moderating photos that could be abusive.  This includes stuff like "flipping the bird," posting pictures of grossly obese people, and so on.  I've seen photos like these posted on forums to harass other people, so I'm not going to allow it here.  Also worth noting is that I'm not going to allow pictures of you doing illegal drugs or pictures of illegal drugs on the site.

I'm sorry if you feel that this is cramping your style or interfering with your freedoms or [insert righteous indignation here].  Believe me, I'm about as anti-censorship as they come.  However, Faces is intended to be a community-friendly site where people should be able to come without worrying about being harassed.  I feel like I actually give a bit of leeway, more than the standard T-rating of the game.

If you want to make some sort of statement or prove your "cool" rebelliousness by posting harassing photos, please, take it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:09:38 PM by TonyV »