Author Topic: Nemesis Image  (Read 5285 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Nemesis Image
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
Would it be possible to add this image somewhere on the Nemesis page? Maybe as a .gif that pops up every once in a while?

I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Nemesis Image
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
While that would be very amusing, even Dan Forden-esq. But that would require obtrusive javascript on wiki, and pwiki is publicly against obtrusive javascripts.
~Steinerd

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
I've seen that image posted a few times on the forums.  Where did it originate?

Steiner's right, we don't want to do Javascript stuff like that.  Even if it were posted anywhere, I'd want to make sure we're not misappropriating someone else's image.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »
But that would require obtrusive javascript on wiki, and pwiki is publicly against obtrusive javascripts.

<DIV Style="float: left;"><Span Style="position: relative; left: -80px;">[[Image:NemesisPeek.png]]</Span></DIV>
This is some text to the right of the Nemesis peekaboo image. Isn't he just the cutest thing ever?
{{clr}}

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
<DIV Style="float: left;"><Span Style="position: relative; left: -80px;">[[Image:NemesisPeek.png]]</Span></DIV>
This is some text to the right of the Nemesis peekaboo image. Isn't he just the cutest thing ever?
{{clr}}
The OP says "as a gif that pops up every once in a while". Meaning isn't always there. Can't do that without some kind of script.

Additionally, to get the same effect you did with so much code, you can simply use [[File:NemesisPeek.png|left]].
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:10 AM »
Think again. GIFs can be two-frame animations that make an image appear at custom intervals (requiring no script at all) and my code shifts the image to the left such that it overlaps the blue area with the toolbox links.

Do not be so quick to nay-say Mr. Perfect.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:54:48 AM »
There would always be a blank box there, except for the brief moments that Nemesis is made to show up. This would make the article look ugly, frankly.

I like the idea. To make the idea work without making the article look weird would require scripts.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:36:56 AM »
There would always be a blank box there, except for the brief moments that Nemesis is made to show up. This would make the article look ugly, frankly.

I like the idea. To make the idea work without making the article look weird would require scripts.

Or, y'know, stick it at the end of the article. Or somehow have text show up where the picture is, so you could see it while it was white.

Either way, the conversation here sounds WAY too serious for something meant in fun... but if that means it'll actually get added, by all means.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:16:49 AM »
It's the apocalyptic discussion that comes with these types of things. Sadly there are two types of people in this world...

1.) People who know they are right
2.) People who know you are wrong

.... the real paradox is realizing there is no difference between the two; lol.
~Steinerd

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:20:10 AM »
Heh, no biggie, but I still don't want to put it on there, I think it would be kind of distracting and I don't want to take a chance on screwing up formatting of other stuff in the article.  Keep in mind that some folks print these articles too, and that during upgrades and such, it's one more thing that could break if the back-end CSS changes.  I'd say put it on your user page, but I still would rather not upload the image if we can't determine its source.  If it can be determined, then knock yourself out and have Nemesis peeking out from behind your user information page.

And you left out:
3.) People who have the root password.  :P

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 03:20:28 AM »
There are services that can rotate avatar/banner/sig pics with one link. Then, that one link can point to that Nem pic and 9 other one-pixel alpha channel pics so that it will show up, on average, 10% of the time.

Check out Westley's sig on the official forums.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »
Sadly there are two types of people in this world...

1.) People who know they are right
2.) People who know you are wrong

I know I am wrong and you will not convince me otherwise.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »
I know I am wrong and you will not convince me otherwise.

I insist on wasting my time trying to convince you!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
I insist on wasting my time trying to convince you!

I would, but unfortunately, my time isn't worth anything.  :gonk: