Author Topic: New to COH/COV  (Read 19219 times)

typenamehere

• Underling
New to COH/COV
« on: April 10, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
I'm new to this game but my brother is a very established player within the EU of COH i asked him for advice on a starter build mainly for soloing and quick leveling, he told me to pick either a scrapper or a tank and directed me to this website because he just doesnt have the patience to help me with everything so my question to you guys is could someone design a scrapper and or tank build for soloing or just give me some general tips for new guys :)

Thank guys.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: New to COH/COV
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »
The Veteran shuffle, lol.

Info: http://paragonwiki.com (or alternatively http://wiki.cohtitan.com)

As for the builds, that's up to the community to help you... which they most likely will because AS A WHOLE the COH community is probably the greatest any MMO has to offer.

Personally there isn't really much you can do about soloing in the game to-date. They've purposefully went out of their way to design the game so teams are relatively necessary. However it's not impossible.

Your brother is correct; Scrapper is about damage; Most of the sets in the scrapper arsenal however are single target burst, with little AoE (group damage) support, you'll have to experiment yourself to figure out the best combo.

As for tankers, they're about the same as scrappers with watered-down damage; difference is they have slightly more AoE powers, mainly designed for getting groups off of another player and on you. However, properly built, a tanker can take a lot of damage despite the low amounts of damage output.

In all honesty, I've found that anything with powerful AoEs or pets makes a descent solo characters (albeit Controllers, Masterminds, Corruptors, etc) but even the best solo character will still eventually need to team up... the longer missions are designed for multiple arches, not one... so; keep that in mind.

~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
Welcome to City of Heroes, and welcome to the Titan Network!

Since you are new to the game, before we get to talking builds I'll mention a few more resources you might also find very useful:

Titan Members:
* CoH Build Planners - I'm guessing you've already checked out this area of the network, so you may already know this.  There are two basic planners that most people in the game use when they want to create a build for a character.  SuckerPunch's Online Planner is an online interface that allows you to create a build online that you can access from anywhere you can find a web browser.  Mids' Hero (and Villain) Designer is a downloadable application that allows you to create builds and view detailed information about your character right down to how fast you regenerate hit points or how many miles per hour you're running when you turn on Super Speed.
* Paragon Wiki - If you're looking for information on anything you might find in the game, this is the place the start.  Paragon Wiki has information on just about everything under the sun concerning City of Heroes/Villains, the cononical game universe, and real-world topics related to the game.   (And if you can't find something you're looking for here, we can probably help you out down on the Paragon Wiki section of these boards.)
* City Info Terminal - In this area of the Titan Network, you can track the progress of your characters as they level up, earn badges, and explore the game's content.   (The easiest way to do this is with either the Glycerine or Herostats applications - more on those later.)

(I feel like I should mention the other sites here, too, but we'd be here all day and this isn't really the place for it.)

In addition to the Titan sites, you'll probably also find a lot of good info on the official City of Heroes Forums.  In particular, you'll probably find the Scrappers and Tankers boards useful in figuring out what you might want to play.

Now, all that being said, let's get down to answering your questions.

There are a lot of similarities between Scrappers and Tankers.  Both are melee combat classes, they share a lot of the same power sets, and both are fairly solo-friendly archetypes for a beginning player.  The biggest overall difference between the two is that attacking is the primary function and defending is the secondary function for Scrappers, while Tanks primarily concentrate on defense and function in a secondary role as attackers.

So, the first question you'll need to ask yourself is this:  Do I want to be able to take a beating more than I can dish one out, or do I want to hit harder at the cost of being hit a little harder myself.  The difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable.

Once you've decided on the answer to that question, you can ask yourself what style of character you want to play.  This will help determine what power sets you want to try out.

If you like the idea of being able to take a lot of hits and shrug them off, then you might consider taking Invulnerability or Stone Armor.  If you'd prefer not to be hit at all, you might think about taking Shield Defense, Ice Armor, or Super Reflexes.  If your preference is being able to recover quickly from attacks, then maybe Regeneration or Willpower is more your style.  Or, maybe you'd like something that can add a little extra offense like Fiery Aura or Dark Armor.

When considering offensive sets, if you're looking for something that can fire off a lot of attacks in quick succession, perhaps Claws is the set for you.  Or maybe you're looking for something that's slower but packs a bigger punch like Super Strength or Energy Melee.  Maybe you'd like to eat away continuously at your opponent's hit points with Fiery Melee, or perhaps you'd like to take Dual Blades and become a living, breathing weedwhacker, cutting a wide path through the enemy spawns.

As you can see, there are countless different ways to go about building a character.  It gets much easier once you have a basic idea of what you think might be fun to try.  And don't be afraid to try something out just to see how it feels.  If you try a Claws/Regen Scrapper, you might find that you like the Regen, but Claws just aren't working well for you with it.  You might like a different primary set instead.  You might even find that even though you don't like Claws with Regen, you do like Claws with Super Reflexes.

At any rate, if you have any specific sets in mind - or at least a good idea of what flavor of sets you'd like - then it'll be much easier to help create a good build that you'll find fun to play.

---

OK, so I'm long winded.  I could have just put up a build and said, "Here, try this."  But I don't always find the same things to be "fun" as everyone else does, so I like to make sure I'm not just imposing my fun on other people.  I also find that characters mean more to someone if they put some time and thought into the character themselves than if someone just created their build for them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:55:46 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answers guys, I think a tank withan offence power might be the one for me.

I have two other things:

Starting as a new guy should I run npc's or missions?

And should I buy going rouge? I know I'll be playing for a while but I think with little experience it may be a waste of time.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:02 AM »
Personally there isn't really much you can do about soloing in the game to-date. They've purposefully went out of their way to design the game so teams are relatively necessary.

This is complete bollocks. I'm sorry, but it's just so wrong that I had to single it out. I solo about 75% of the time (20% of the rest of the time is spent in duos or trios, the remaining 5% is spent in larger teams). The devs have gone out of their way to design the game so that soloists have an easier time than at launch.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:59 AM »
The devs have gone out of their way to design the game so that soloists have an easier time than at launch.

I would have to agree there.  I normally run all the way to 30 with characters without slotting any enhancements these days.  There's no way I would have ever expected to be able to do that back in Issue 2.

Anyway, since we're looking at Tankers now, I feel right at home.  I have built more of those than any other AT and I've played all of the power sets except for Stone Armor, Dark Melee, and Stone Melee in one form or another (if not on a Tank, then on a Brute or Scrapper), so I'm pretty comfortable helping out with Tanks.  :)

You mentioned you probably wanted to take a primary with some added offense, so that would probably be either Dark Armor, Fiery Aura, or Electric Armor.

Fiery Aura
If you go with Fiery Aura, I'd suggest coupling it with Fiery Melee.  The combination may seem a little bland at first, but by taking Fiery Melee you greatly increase the damage potential offered by Fiery Embrace.  Another big selling point for the set is Healing Flames.  Although it isn't the biggest heal in the game (25% of your base HP) and it doesn't add to your base Hit Points (like Dull Pain does), it has a pretty fast recharge (40 sec), making it one of the better self-healing powers in the game.  One drawback you'll find in this set, however, is that it does not include any form of knockback protection.  For this reason, Fire Tankers will sometimes go after Combat Jumping/Super Jump/Acrobatics.  Alternately, since the introduction of Invention Origin enhancements to the game, it is also popular to slot the knockback protection IOs from the Karma or Steadfast Protection sets into the build.  Since this set concentrates heavily on protection against Fire, another popular option with this set is to dip into the Fighting pool to gain access to Tough and Weave to help protect against the game's most frequently encountered forms of damage:  Smashing and Lethal.

Dark Armor
This set concentrates on protecting against Negative Energy attacks and is one of the few armor sets in the game that offer protection against Psionic attacks and Fear.  Like Fiery Aura, this set lacks any knockback protection and is slightly lighter on Smashing and Lethal protection that most sets, and the methods used to fill these gaps for Fiery Aura apply here as well.  While the heal in this set (Dark Regeneration) has a slightly faster recharge time than Healing Flames, but costs about three times the endurance.  That may sound bad, but there's an up-side.  While the heal from Healing Flames is always the same 25% (unenhanced), the heal from Dark Regeneration is not only larger (30%), it is a point blank attack and the heal is per target hit.  So, even unslotted, if you hit three targets with Dark Regeneration, you'll regain 90% of your hit points.  And as a Tanker, odds are you're going to have something in melee to heal off of most of the time.  Dark Armor also offers some decent utility powers like Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom.

Electric Armor
Electric Armor concentrates mostly on protecting against Energy damage and offers some significant protection against Endurance Drain.  Like Dark Armor, Electric Armor also provides some protection against Psionic attacks.  One thing that Electric Armor gives you that Fiery Aura and Dark Armor do not is knockback protection.  Note, however, that the knockback and immobilize protection in Grounded only apply when you are on the ground.  So, if you want to take Fly as a travel option, keep that in mind.  This set's healing power (Energize) heals the same amount of hit points as Healing Flames, but also reduces the amount of Endurance consumed by your other powers and increases your regeneration rate for 30 seconds.  The tradeoff is that it takes 120 seconds for Energize to recharge.  The set also offers some global recharge (Lightning Reflexes) and a PBAoE Endurance drain (Power Sink).

I'll play around a bit and see what I come up with.  I'll try to give you one build for each of those three primary sets and I'll try to make the offensive set a different style for each.  Ideally, I should have three basic builds that will each allow for some customization and, between the three of them, give you a pretty good feel for some of the different play styles offered by Tankers.  At the moment, here are the combinations I'm leaning toward:

Fiery Aura/Fiery Melee
Dark Armor/Dual Blades
Electric Armor/Super Strength
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
This is complete bollocks. I'm sorry, but it's just so wrong that I had to single it out. I solo about 75% of the time (20% of the rest of the time is spent in duos or trios, the remaining 5% is spent in larger teams). The devs have gone out of their way to design the game so that soloists have an easier time than at launch.
Had a nice 5 paragraph explanation on how wrong this statement is, but w/e. I'll let you believe whatever you want about the game. But simply IMHO, don't play an MMO is you're not going to team. Why even bother. Plus the original post stated Solo+Quick Leveling... NOT possible to-date... outside of farming, which is HEAVILY frowned upon.

I'm really sick of these sycophantic views of the game... it has flaws... LOTS of them. But that's what makes the game fun! Just like how flaws make the person unique... it makes a game unique... and by proxy; FUN lol.

However...You seem to have a strong opinion on the topic meaning you most likely have your valid reasons... very rarely does the Aggelakis speak, and do so without boatloads truth behind it. (I'm quite sincere about this)

I simply just don't see how the devs would intentionally make it easier for soloists, when they've released dozens articles and interviews saying "It's a Massively Multi-player Game... you're supposed to team" paraphrasing of course. Not to mention the handfuls of "nerfs" (or whatever everyone is calling them these days) upon almost each issue release that have rendered most solo-efficient arcs impotent.

::Shrug::
~Steinerd

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »
Quick leveling is out of the window then, I figure I'll be soloing about 70%  of the time, I.  Just want something I can have fun with and take damage and dish it out too and the tanker seems to fit that description quite well.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
Yea, that's an honest toss up between Tank and Scrap. Have fun!
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »
The first build I'm posting is the Fire/Fire build.  For this build, I'm actually basing it off of the final build I put together for my Fire/Fire Tanker.  That's a bit lazy for me, but in return I'm going to show the build to you in different level ranges and explain a few considerations you might want to take into account while working through those levels.  In the other two builds, I'll probably just post the final builds with a few notes and let you fill in the blanks based on the explanations in the Fire/Fire build.

There seems to be a misconception among a great number of players that Fire/* Tankers are underperformers.  In my experience this isn't true.  My Fire/Fire Tanker is the only character I have that I know I made it all the way to at least level 32 without earning my first debt badge.  But, as with all things in this game, your mileage may vary.

1-12
Welcome to your career as a Tanker.  Right now, there probably won't be much difference in how you approach combat vs. how a Scrapper (or some Blasters) approach combat.  You may find yourself wondering what really sets you apart from the rest of the team.  Have patience.  Tankers often don't really start to feel like Tankers until about the time they hit their 20s.  Taking on too much aggro in the early stages of the game can be deadly for you until you're able to take the beatings you invite.  For now, just concentrate on getting a feel for your power sets and how the basic concepts in the game like contacts, mission doors, and running from point A to point B work.

Your primary concern in slotting at this stage is going to be Endurance.  And since there is no greater waste of Endurance than a power that misses its intended target, Accuracy will be a concern, too.  You'll see Blazing Aura in the build at level 6.  It's a fun power and great for hitting several enemies at once, but it's a big Endurance hog and you won't want to leave it on all the time at these levels.

Initially, Training (TO) enhancements are all that you have available.  You can spend money on them if you want, but they won't last you long and until you start getting recipe and salvage drops, you might find that you have trouble affording to keep up with decaying enhancements.  Don't worry too much about that since TOs don't do a whole lot for you.  In fact, you can easily get by with only slotting enhancements that are dropped for you during combat and selling the ones you don't need to help buy inspirations or pay for enhancements later on.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.621
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 11 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Melee
Power Pool: Leaping

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fire Shield
  • (A) Endurance Reduction
  • (3) Endurance Reduction
Level 1: Scorch
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (7) Accuracy
  • (7) Endurance Reduction
Level 2: Healing Flames
  • (A) Recharge Reduction
  • (5) Recharge Reduction
  • (5) Endurance Reduction
Level 4: Fire Sword
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (9) Accuracy
  • (9) Endurance Reduction
Level 6: Blazing Aura
  • (A) Accuracy
Level 8: Combat Jumping
  • (A) Karma - Knockback Protection
Level 10: Combustion
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (11) Endurance Reduction
------------
Level 1: Brawl
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Empty
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Gauntlet

Code: [Select]
| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;775;349;698;HEX;|
|78DAB591C14AC3401086276D344D93DAC6A254D107E82567AD07116B41682048F1A|
|486B5AC6D306C4A9282BDF900BE820F225ED4A7F21667B29B807A130CEC37BBFFFE|
|FBEFB0F11E8636C0E33168F669C4D234983071CF9386B7CC5816C6020C00D891623|
|0E4775CA4DC1D853C590527CB84F5D48EC7235EEAC5DC3917739E7091B9E5C4F6E3|
|3872C79C2D4231938B5198099EA62DB598CD33DCB2E42AA2A573B608A7AEBF4A78E|
|0B134C3F41EB6D3C7F16E22341C90D78A1EF51AD47E54A709EA430F486DBDACCAF3|
|81399ACAD11CA9E965559E4DCCA9AB9CBA3ADF28ABF2BC61CE9AF4C88ADA36EE193|
|21B8C4F2CFBD0C528534599CAD634BED7FC3FBE3DBD7A0B286E80F12FC5D7D593A2|
|A2154A5FAF5E39373B8513E0EF0DBED8E595E605FD9B09C1275C12AE08D7841B022|
|3DC12A684FCB53ADD3EA0BE0E0903C211610BFB8327721A16C222D884166183D026|
|74085DC22EE199907F013433F447|
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
12-21
Welcome to the world of DOs and - if you decide you want to start playing with them this early on - low level IOs.  Up until you hit level 20, Stamina is not available, so your only options for managing your Endurance burnoff are still EndRdx enhancements and rationing.

By now you should be getting a pretty good feel for your power sets and how your primary and secondary are going to play together.  You might even find that you're able to start manging a little bit of aggro and pull the occasional mob off of a slightly squishier teammate when the need arises.  Good for you.  You will still need to be careful at this level about just how much aggro you draw though.  You're still not quite a full-fledged Tanker just yet.

Level 21 Mutation Tanker
Power Pool: Fitness

Hero Profile:
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (7) Accuracy
  • (7) Endurance Reduction
  • (17) Endurance Reduction
  • (17) Endurance Reduction
  • (A) Recharge Reduction
  • (5) Recharge Reduction
  • (5) Endurance Reduction
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (9) Accuracy
  • (9) Endurance Reduction
  • (A) Accuracy
  • (15) Endurance Reduction
  • (15) Endurance Reduction
  • (A) Accuracy
Level 12: Plasma Shield
  • (13) Endurance Reduction
  • (13) Endurance Reduction
Level 14: Super Jump
  • (A) Jumping
Level 16: Swift
  • (A) Run Speed
Level 18: Health
  • (A) Healing
  • (19) Healing
  • (19) Healing
Level 20: Stamina
  • (A) Endurance Modification
  • (21) Endurance Modification
  • (21) Endurance Modification
------------
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty

|MxDz;930;404;808;HEX;|
|78DAA592CB4EC24014864F4BA194964BAD1734FA006C587B591823929840D218E24|
|A25958CD0480A694B223B1FC057F0418C1B35F19DDCD5733AA74470A74DFAFD9D7F|
|CEFC73A66DF7A165013C1E83629D8EBD28EAF7BCE05E84C5EE2CF6627F12800E00D|
|BD2ECB7C49D0822D16CFB229CF74F66A157E799AE188BCC4F9FEDF360244211C4CD|
|ECC172279371B323BCA91F0CE5A0EDC78188A2320F86A318A74C391AD3D03E9BFA8|
|3A63B0F45BFEB4531A6D7B19D06DEEF0642C11B1235ED5153415D51BB047C255A2A|
|E81532E59ADA8A7E60AEC2B98A2D3D2D53AE59C3DC9CCC55739C57CC946BDE3027C|
|F35799EABE8CBBA89AACBBD40FF42D90307A30D5E66F0B292BEAC9F3861728B267B|
|D68A6EA196650E942BD2CBA357E5EDAA8EF474F46CCE4A5F171FEFA7D2911CAE710|
|AD25B5FD1E41FD7AEB6F84C900641E797E36AFCB5D15152A7A12D7E80C4A8A59500|
|7FEFE3C5CAB6342EE8DC3D824BB8245C11AE0937048F704B181092D7C5EAEA3EF57|
|54038241C1136B03F78A24ADD4498048B5026540855428DE0107608CF84E41BCDE4|
|E390|
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
22-40
At level 20, Stamina became a viable option.  If you're taking the Fitness pool, this will have a big impact on how you manage Endurance.  It is possible to play all the way to 50 without taking Stamina.  And it's very possible to remain effective in doing so if you understand the game mechanics well enough.  However, doing so presents enough of a challenge that it's very rare to find a player who's willing to even try.  In fact, many - if not most - players will tell you that if you don't take Stamina, your build is broken, period.  That is an opinion, not fact.

At 22, SOs become available.  The difference in the effectivity between DOs and SOs will have quite an impact on how you start slotting powers.  You will also start to notice the effect of the Enhancement Diversification (ED) game mechanic.  With DOs, running up agains the ED curve takes at least four of the same enhancement slotted in one power.  With SOs, the effect is fairly obvious with only three enhancements of the same type.  And with IOs, you'll see it become very obvious when you get to the higher levels of the game.

For, let's say you have the option of slotting three Damage SOs vs. two Damage and one Recharge SO in a power.  At first glance it's obvious that 3 Dmg gives you a better damage output per hit.

enhanced damage = (base damage * 1.9493)

But let's consider damage over time for a moment, and let's use the values for Scorch at level 50 as an example

enhanced damage over time = (enhanced damage)/(enhanced recharge + cast time)

enhanced damage over time = 1.9493 * (base damage)/(base recharge + cast time)

enhanced damage over time = 1.9493 * (48.00 dmg)/(3.00 s + 1.00 s)

enhanced damage over time = 1.9493 * (48.00 dmg)/(4.00 s)

enhanced damage over time = 1.9493 * 12.00 dmg/s

enhanced damage over time = ~23.39 dmg/s

If we trade one of 1 Dmg for 1 RechRdx:

enhanced damage = (base damage * 1.6660)

enhanced recharge = (base recharge)/(1.3330)

enhanced damage over time = 1.6660 * (base damage)/(base recharge/(1.3330) + cast time)

enhanced damage over time = 1.6660 * (48.00 dmg)/(3.00 s/(1.3330) + 1.00 s)

enhanced damage over time = 1.6660 * (48.00 dmg)/(~2.2506 s + 1.00 s)

enhanced damage over time = 1.6660 * (48.00 dmg)/(~3.2506 s)

enhanced damage over time = 1.6660 * ~14.7667 dmg/s

enhanced damage over time = ~24.60 dmg/s

You should notice here that trading that third Dmg SO for a RechRdx SO actually gets you a higher damage output over time.  This is because while that third Dmg SO is subject to the effects of ED, the single RchRdx SO is not.  The effect becomes even more noticeable with common IOs at level 35 and above.

But before you go off and slot all of your powers with 2 Dmg/2 RechRdx to get around ED, there's another consideration to take into account.  When your powers fire faster, they also burn Endurance faster.  It will be up to you to figure out where the comfortable balancing point between DoT and Endurance usage is for you.  For the purposes of keeping things simple, I just went the route of 3 Dmg rather than 2 Dmg/1 RechRdx, concentrating more on burst (per hit) damage than DoT.

In general, it is at around level 25 that most people consider Tankers to actually start developing into real Tankers.  SOs allow you to start taking bigger beatings, regenerate faster, and stay in combat longer.  You'll notice the next power I grab at 22 is Taunt.  Congratulations, you've graduated from toddlerhood to adolesence.  Time to start manging the aggro for those spawns you run into on those 8-man teams.

Now, without further ado, my build through level 40.

Level 48 Mutation Tanker

Hero Profile:
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (3) Resist Damage IO
  • (3) Resist Damage IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (7) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (17) Damage Increase IO
  • (23) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (5) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (31) Healing IO
  • (33) Healing IO
  • (34) Healing IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (9) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (33) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (15) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (40) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (11) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (A) Jumping IO
  • (A) Run Speed IO
  • (A) Healing IO
  • (19) Healing IO
  • (19) Healing IO
  • (A) Endurance Modification IO
  • (21) Endurance Modification IO
Level 22: Taunt
  • (A) Taunt Duration IO
Level 24: Consume
  • (25) Recharge Reduction IO
Level 26: Fiery Embrace
  • (27) Recharge Reduction IO
Level 28: Breath of Fire
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (29) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (34) Damage Increase IO
  • (37) Damage Increase IO
Level 30: Fire Sword Circle
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (31) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 32: Rise of the Phoenix
  • (A) Disorient Duration IO
Level 35: Incinerate
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (36) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (36) Damage Increase IO
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (39) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (39) Damage Increase IO
------------
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty

|MxDz;1238;542;1084;HEX;|
|78DA9D93CB6ED3401486C7498CE3D8696242C8A5751B97165A15AC76C7658110A51|
|2522345A8EA0A884C35B4169153C5AE44773C00AFC08320368040F048ECCC39734E|
|528FD861C9FF37F37BCEC533F6F0FDBE2BC487C7C2709F4EA2341D1F45C93B39AB0|
|E2FB2288BA789B084103D32C7FBF2AD4C52191EC47276397E72318BBAFC64282772|
|EEABB1F73C3993339964E17CE08EA6D3497828A3F33839A5C9419C25324DEB3C393|
|DCBE09143B3094EBD67E7F14938BA9CC9F1304A33C8DE8576B6E1FE668318708BBC|
|24EE02F644498357137CE5A6E82BEB5A5044D32FE226E13BA43528AD69EC28ABA26|
|1754361400808D7A156996B95A956352882B30F347C855A2645954D8A5A0A8AB8C3|
|ADC11158D493B0FE007CD182823685966C0AAD0545FC84A70E6F8F431BE26AE840D|
|23A6510F52D65996035B84EE39EB22CB03C4EE3F1BB6AA8C282162F680D94754307|
|74DAE63AED3D65FD80DE3AEAECF2528776B5ABE1172CE871D21E597D0D6D48BACCF|
|BBD4CAFBF121411F8456C103A35DC3A4AEB53D46A50C46FA8BBC6BDAEED524710B3|
|CE95D629E656A0412BC1E841D426476D52D4ED40835F3C60460E97D852AA64E76A1|
|85E0D7795AE54165FB720FFF01F6754E13F041C4339DB95C54F93DB4DB552D0E2FF|
|BA3EBBF392F60BFCDB8E504628C7282F515EA1BC468950DEA09CA0E45F16D18DFBD|
|8D7039487288F50DAD09FF8882B2D07C4417151EA284B280D94264A0BA58FF20925|
|FF0B7FDCED83|
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »
41-50

It's in this level range where your final build will probably vary wildly from mine.  When you reach level 41 and gain access to the ancillary pools, another whole bag of options opens up for you.  Not only your power selections might vary.  Depending on which pool you go with, you may find that your slots are better spent in entirely different places.

This is also the level range where I start upgrading all of my old common IOs.  It's also where I start getting serious about going after set IOs since the enhancements fluxuations that might present themselves with only partial sets slotted is usually masked by common IOs hitting the ED curves.

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Hero Profile:
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (3) Resist Damage IO
  • (3) Resist Damage IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (31) Healing IO
  • (33) Healing IO
  • (34) Healing IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (43) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (46) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (A) Jumping IO
  • (A) Run Speed IO
  • (A) Healing IO
  • (19) Healing IO
  • (19) Healing IO
  • (A) Taunt Duration IO
Level 24: Consume
Level 26: Fiery Embrace
Level 28: Breath of Fire
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 30: Fire Sword Circle
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 32: Rise of the Phoenix
  • (A) Disorient Duration IO
Level 35: Incinerate
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 41: Char
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (42) Hold Duration IO
  • (42) Hold Duration IO
  • (42) Hold Duration IO
Level 44: Fire Blast
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (45) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (45) Damage Increase IO
Level 47: Melt Armor
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (48) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (48) Defense Debuff IO
  • (50) Defense Debuff IO
Level 49: Burn
  • (A) Damage Increase IO
  • (50) Damage Increase IO
------------
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty

|MxDz;1396;591;1182;HEX;|
|78DA9D94CB6ED35010864F6EE4E6340921CDA54D93D3369090D6243B2E0B8428959|
|01A29AA2A5640E45687362272AAD895E88E07E0157810C40610B74780F760C1CECC|
|9C99443E821596FD7F3EE3B9698EEDE1AB3D4B88D7F745C47A38753C6F7CE4B82FD|
|53C35BCF01D7F32734552085123E3784FBD50AEA7ECFD899A5F8E1F5CCC9D2A3F19|
|AAA95AD8F57DF1B17BA6E6CAF5EDC58D359ACDA6F68172CE27EE292DF627BEAB3C2|
|FC78BD3331F1E656935C565F1D1F9E4C41E5DCED578E8783E64AF423B5DB83EA641|
|227089202A760003113550CC083E8284A86BD3151946A111C62AE113A48D50DA44A|
|4A74D71031BDB1A2D82245C855A31AE15A35A291906676F19F800B5121C95A0A815|
|19C60DF2BB6960153624491D8AE46F404394A07C9A12C5D3942823C3E0D05DC217F|
|0CDF2E8B2342CCB40054AE4289FC875B42901A63C57CDEF6A53124C454E53E43918|
|488143891D4A2D6DBA6602FA2E739DF2409B3E436F15BDAF41B44213AF1AF8060E3|
|54E5A2353DD401992AEF154D76818EB320CD908639B50C9E020296D83A2366418DF|
|A16E937B6DF6A92388D9E44A9B14B3250D18251835886A73549BA2AE4B038DF0E63|
|37EC0EBD5A1A85887A2BAED7FE027F8F5387B8FFC76A401E35560FC825F80CD2F90|
|4D51B7A481A6C680F01566D1E73DE853868181F5F8F2DB83130E71F0976514E7EF1|
|72C116DE9C6979F74902E684F41CEFF75BCB31625D387F82F384219A13C41798AF2|
|0CE5398A83728C728212BC5F46E76F635F7750EEA2DC4329437FE20D7A26B320591|
|40B2587B282924729A09450EA286F51823F1FCCDFE4|
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
Whew.  OK, time for a break.  Hamidon needs a good beating...
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
I will start a fire/* tank tomorrow using your base and see how I like it I have a day off so it should be good fun :D

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
I will start a fire/* tank tomorrow using your base and see how I like it I have a day off so it should be good fun :D

Cool.  Let me know if you have any feedback or questions along the way.

Here's build #2:  Dark Armor/Dual Blades

Dark Armor as a set can be very Endurance intense, so all attacks are slotted with three EndRdx to keep your Endurance from draining too quickly during combat.  If you find that Endurance is really not an issue for you, it might be worth considering swapping a third Dmg or single RechRdx in place of the third EndRdx in some of the attacks.

Being a Tanker, survival is more important than damage output, so priority was given to DmgRdx, Heal, and EndMod slots after EndRdx slots were allocated.  Power selection also placed a higher priority on survival powers than attack powers.

Damage slots were allocated after survival slots.

The final level 50 slot in Cloak of Fear was a toss-up that might have also served well as a Dmg slot in Dark Regeneration.

With the exception of the Empower combo, the build is capable of executing all combo attacks at their earliest possible levels: Weaken (Nimble Slash, Ablating Strike, Typhoon's Edge) at 16, Empower (Nimble Slash, Ablating Strike, Blinding Feint) at 22, Attack Vitals (Ablating Strike, Vengeful Slice, Sweeping Strike) at 35, Sweep (One Thousand Cuts, Power Slice, Typhoon's Edge) at 38.  (Blinding Feint is available at 20, but I placed Stamina first.)

Taking Cloak of Fear before 38 is possible, but would probably push one or more of the combo attacks back a couple of levels.

Picked up Energy Mastery for Conserve Power and Physical Perfection.  You may find when you reach this level that you don't need either one.  As is always the case with Ancillaries, your mileage may vary.

All in all, Dark Armor on a Brute is a HP rollercoaster with the second or third activation in almost any spawn being Dark Regeneration.  Since Tankers have more HP to play with and get more resistance out of the armor toggles, this is less likely to be a concern for you.  Keep in mind, however, that the heal on the power comes at the end of the animation, so if your hit points are dropping quickly, do not wait until you are in the red to activate your heal.

Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom are both good powers for choking out incoming damage.  Anything that's terrorized or stumbling can't attack.

Note that Oppressive Gloom has a very low Endurance cost.  The power is fueled by ticking away at your hit points.  Don't be too concerned by the sound of that.  It only eats about 4.5 HP every 2 seconds.  Remember that you'll have a base of 1874 hit points at that point in the game, so 4.5 every two seconds is nothing.

As I mentioned before, keep in mind that there is no native knockback resistance in Dark Armor.  I highly recommend trying to obtain a -KB enhancement and slotting it somewhere as early as possible.  (Combat Jumping would probably be the best place since the Def buff from the power is only 5%.

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Dual Blades
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Embrace
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (11) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
Level 1: Nimble Slash
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (3) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (5) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 2: Murky Cloud
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (15) Resist Damage IO
Level 4: Ablating Strike
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 6: Obsidian Shield
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
  • (15) Resist Damage IO
  • (19) Resist Damage IO
Level 8: Dark Regeneration
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (25) Healing IO
Level 10: Combat Jumping
  • (A) Defense Buff IO
Level 12: Swift
  • (A) Run Speed IO
  • (A) Jumping IO
Level 16: Typhoon's Edge
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (17) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (17) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (19) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (48) Damage Increase IO
  • (A) Healing IO
  • (33) Healing IO
  • (34) Healing IO
Level 22: Blinding Feint
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (23) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (23) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (25) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 24: Taunt
  • (A) Taunt Duration IO
Level 26: Power Slice
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (27) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (33) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 28: Death Shroud
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 30: Vengeful Slice
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (33) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 32: Soul Transfer
  • (A) Damage Increase IO
Level 35: Sweeping Strike
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 38: Cloak of Fear
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (50) Fear Duration IO
Level 41: One Thousand Cuts
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (42) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (45) Damage Increase IO
Level 44: Conserve Power
  • (45) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (45) Recharge Reduction IO
Level 47: Physical Perfection
  • (48) Endurance Modification IO
  • (48) Healing IO
Level 49: Oppressive Gloom
  • (A) Accuracy IO
------------
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty

|MxDz;1402;604;1208;HEX;|
|78DA9D935D6FD25018C70F50C65B193064BCCC328A9B03D9BA71E7CB855199C9929|
|19065F14A25DD3CB266B52C6D67E4CE0FE05730DEFB05742EEA47ABCFD3E70C4F23|
|5736F0FFB5FF3E6FA7A71D7E18A88C7D7CCC62EA33DBF4BCF1B1E99C73373DBCF44|
|DDF9A3A2CC518AB93391EF0B7DCF1B83130DDF3F113F7DDD4AD893B436E73F02F4D|
|7BFCD436DF70AF74E09C71973BBE7173A28EA653DB38E4E685E54CE8E2B9E53BDCF|
|37274615B9333BF149E1F38EF2DCF3AB16CCB9F95F72FAC5363DFE1EE64361E9A9E|
|CFDD590D86EAC2FF7B86892388B36D409F65092A21F81B90648DD08AEB321482AEC|
|9B882AC98281B8BD45B26C4B28C2544D944432EB414C18626E307944D8AB2C948BD|
|15C23504A4C2CE8192A2B2695D469650DB08B10A7B43EB0B58A6195A49B072C2CAE|
|D845615ACBCB0F29DD04AC0F805317E81FA1475192B841D9A7B9790824225317E89|
|26681174421A02CA22A0DC0AAD5B1128D0B742EB4B56A8EFAA2EA346E86B32E2905|
|5150BA8F6438B8155170BA853A1862EA31579FE5B846FF0B0D644D61A65DDD66534|
|23CB1648422F4D64690D39AE19E9B515E9F51B7AAD8BA1D7C95A82426D51A84D85E|
|EE80B704F93F1130A6D5296B2495977F505E8B76993A0494734E95078575F00517D|
|9BF0055EE69ED8B95E8FEE44F015DE20430418B499BB02B4F7BF60CC3DB1DE3DF16|
|C95F9B7073F38D8E13FCE48997F692C163A5D8C09AD20C814E777FFF7B8526F5A66|
|8EE0D1B0639411CA0B949728AF505EA398282728A728C1F53CBB701FE77A80F210E|
|5114A05E6639F3032851F5D0E4545C9A32CA314508A28659406CA6794E00F21E9DF|
|50|
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:55:43 PM by eabrace »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »
I've had a little go of both until level 14, and my stratergy has changed to be a team tank so deffence is needed any options?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Well, like I said, Tankers don't really flourish until about the time they can start slotting SOs.  Until that point, no matter which power sets you take, you're going to have a hard time enhancing your resistance/defense enough to really take a beating by yourself.

What it's really going to come down to is strategy.  You'll need to rely on the rest of your team for buffs, crowd control, and damage output.  Basically, it becomes a game of you keeping the mobs off of the Defenders, Controllers, and Blasters while the Defenders buff you (and the rest of the team) to keep you on your feet, the Controllers lock down the most troublesome mobs, and the Blasters and Scrappers take out as many targets as they can in the shortest possible amount of time.  It is, after all, a team effort.  :)

But, if you're looking for a power set that offers a ton of straight-up defense, you might want to check out Ice Armor or Shield Defense.

Early on, my Ice/Axe Tanker felt like it matured the fastest of all the Tankers I've played so far.  But there's almost always something out there that has your number, and in this case it was Vahzilok spawns.  Vahzilok spawns have two things going for them.  For starters, they have a lot of attacks that deal only Toxic damage.  While there are powers in the game that offer defense against almost every damage type, there are none that protect against Toxic.  The only forms of protection in the game for Toxic attacks are Toxic resistance, and positional (Melee, Ranged, AoE) defenses.  Since Ice Armor's defenses are typed rather than positional, your armor toggles do nothing to prevent those Toxic attacks from coming through.  You do have some Toxic resistance if you fire off Hoarfrost, but since all of the Toxic darts the Vahz fire at you also slow your recharge, you may not get the chance to fire that often enough to keep the resistance up.  The other thing Vahzilok spawns have going for them is size.  Vahz spawns are almost always bigger than the spawns you find yourself up against with other enemy groups like the Clockwork, Hellions, and Skulls.  So, not only are you unable to defend against some of the attacks coming in, there will be a larger number of attacks coming in.

Shield Defense I've only gotten to level 15 so far, but I'm liking the way it feels.  Two things I really like about it so far are a) the defense buffs are positional, so there aren't any holes in the protection (i.e. Psionic or Toxic), and b) the status protection (Active Defense) is a click buff.  Slotted for recharge and set to auto fire, Active Defense can work just as well as a toggle, but doesn't continuously burn Endurance.  Since I haven't played the set very far, I can't offer personal experience on how well the set performs in the higher levels of the game.  The Shield Tankers and Scrappers I've run with seem to do pretty well, though.

If you're looking for a mix of resistance and defense, I'd check out Invulnerability or Stone Armor.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:32 PM »
Build #3:  Electric/Super Strength

Of the three, this one offers the most difficult power selection decisions at each level.  There are multiple options every time, and most of them are pretty good picks.

This time around I took the Flight pool for travel.  Air Superiority provides a pretty decent attack as a travel prerequisite and with that many "must have" powers in your primary, it was difficult to squeeze in another secondary power that early.

There is one major hole in the build.  You'll find that although you actually have some resistance (55.5%) to Psionic, you have absolutely no protection against Toxic damage - unless you trigger Power Surge.  You'll have to be aware during combat of any Toxic threats that present themselves and take them out quickly.

There's another place in the build at level 40 with some room for improvement.  At this point, your resistance to Smashing/Lethal damage is only ~55.5%.  With S/L being the most prevalent forms of damage in the game, it's not a bad idea to get a little closer to the resistance cap there (90% for Tankers).  Taking and slotting Tough brings you up to 79.2%.  This should be sufficient most of the time, leaving Power Surge for times where you really need the extra help (it bumps all but Toxic and Psionic resistance up over the cap even if you turn Tough off.)  You may actually want to take Kick (or Boxing) and Tough earlier to close the S/L gap sooner, but you'll have to make the difficult decision of what picks to postpone in order to do so.

I had originally placed Weave at level 50, but swapped it out for Hurl.  Unslotted, Weave only provides 5% defense at a cost of 0.33 end/sec.  For the endurance cost, that's not much defense.  (Compare that to getting 2.5% defense for 0.07 end/sec with combat jumping.)  You could change that out for just about anything.  (I personally enjoy Hurl because it's one of the few ranged Tanker attacks - and works quite well for pulling when slotted for range.)

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Electric Armor
Secondary Power Set: Super Strength
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Charged Armor
  • (A) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (9) Resist Damage IO
  • (9) Resist Damage IO
  • (37) Resist Damage IO
Level 1: Jab
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 2: Conductive Shield
  • (13) Resist Damage IO
  • (15) Resist Damage IO
  • (40) Resist Damage IO
Level 4: Punch
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 6: Static Shield
  • (15) Resist Damage IO
  • (17) Resist Damage IO
  • (40) Resist Damage IO
Level 8: Grounded
  • (A) Resist Damage IO
Level 10: Air Superiority
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (13) Endurance Reduction IO
Level 12: Energize
  • (17) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (19) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (19) Healing IO
  • (23) Healing IO
  • (23) Healing IO
Level 14: Fly
  • (A) Flight Speed IO
  • (A) Flight Speed IO
  • (A) Healing IO
  • (43) Healing IO
  • (43) Healing IO
  • (A) Taunt Duration IO
Level 24: Knockout Blow
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 26: Lightning Field
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 28: Rage
  • (29) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (31) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (37) To Hit Buff IO
Level 30: Power Sink
Level 32: Power Surge
  • (46) Recharge Reduction IO
Level 35: Lightning Reflexes
  • (A) Flight Speed IO
Level 38: Foot Stomp
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 41: Haymaker
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (42) Damage Increase IO
Level 44: Kick
  • (A) Accuracy IO
Level 47: Tough
  • (48) Resist Damage IO
  • (48) Resist Damage IO
  • (50) Resist Damage IO
Level 49: Hurl
  • (A) Accuracy IO
  • (50) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (50) Endurance Reduction IO
------------
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty
  • (A) Empty

|MxDz;1401;605;1210;HEX;|
|78DA9D945F6FD25018C64F81CA80326088DB80BA9D8DB931A01BD30BFF5C18E3303|
|11909718B576EA492233462216D4DF4CE0FE057F083186FFDAFDFA9BE6FDF33D213|
|BDB281E7D73E7DCEFB9E734AE9BF3936187B779F69C6C3A9EDFBC333DB7D293CBD6|
|F8F9D114B33C64C7286C7E285707D61F5A6621478CE68F8C07B35F36AF26E5F4C85|
|B04E5FCFE1FC34F0843B0E26A5C7EE44C069605D9EE406B3D9D47A3475C693C0A07|
|3277085EFE7E505F88E3BA65B27C29EC3C54A6FEE8CAC9EED059361DFF603E1BD5D|
|836935E1FBB900A2C1978549C6015DB6D48EA3416867993C429D55232BC1E348113|
|6CD089CF015AA6BB2BA460183EA2D1376091DA89E94D593D578BD2B0AB852FD1B54|
|D765759DC7CB1695EADF2197A61C4B939585C792910D33D430CBE33094E548FC804|
|239392AD7A24E84158946846B0A72D02B4FA3587E3BB274B00A724605B2D26095C8|
|4A9468E0BE8225089465A0BC195957151CC02656649F4A37B2BA60AD92955AA565A|
|EF138B6CD38BEC0FAD6A985BE4EF12A8FA3AE8C6A108EA0492DFA0D85C91AED439D|
|709DD0388AF00BAA9B944B984A40E237043668B6DA06591DC24FB8B32597B645FB7|
|50BBAEEC8A5EDD05C6F700534BB5D8205F13D19DFA378932BA0DC3E21019BDD924F|
|BA45F136FF073A661C491865C92616050E24DA71740937614E87144F1C52932E8FA|
|39E5ABC74F081839DFCE50C52F2FD05478B9C666AF14A8799E2E2EEFF1E1F8DCB96|
|9927F82770863240798AF20CE51CE502C546798E3242093F2D46176EE3BCEEA0DC4|
|5B9875281F9B1F7984CE38B95433150F228CB280594224A19A58AF20125FC031216|
|DFEE|
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:05:32 AM »
I started a ss/inv tank and got to 18 in one day 90% solo I think this is the build for me, run out of endurance quickly. Using haymaker but I can take a beating.