Author Topic: Missing PB Inherent Power  (Read 5091 times)

filcher

• Underling
Missing PB Inherent Power
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:28:04 AM »
It seems the inherent PB power "Energy Flight" is missing.  Am I overlooking something, is there a way to add it back or do I have to wait for the next update?  Thank you.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
Re: Missing PB Inherent Power
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:16:51 AM »
Energy Flight was sacrificed for Ninja Run.

Actually, the Known Issues states that the reverse would happen, that the Kheldian inherents would keep Ninja Run from appearing.

The problem is that Mids hard coded only 18 inherent slots. Now, with Ninja Run and Walk, there are at least 20 inherent to display... but there isn't enough room for them all. Energy Flight and Ninja Run are fighting for slot number 4.

So... just how badly do you want Energy Flight to display? Because there is a work around if you're brave enough to fiddle with the editor, but which can possibly break the display of that toon in future updates of Mids.... and cause the Universe to implode on itself.

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:37:55 AM »
Confirmed, sort of.

Both the WS Self TP power and the PB Energy flight appear on the list when the level 1 power is chosen.  When the level 2 power is taken, Ninja Run appears in their place, but only in Dynamic Mode.

In  Level up Mode, the inherent never appears, or vanished too quickly to be noticed.

I also made a history print out of a PB with random powers chosen to level 41 (Dynamic with no slots).  Energy flight does not show up on that print out, but Ninja Run is listed as being granted at level 44.*

I loaded a completed build and Energy Flight was missing from the screen display, and both printouts, but Ninja Run was back at level 2.

For PB and WS, in either Level up, or Dynamic mode, the level indicator on Ninja Run will advance to be the next power taken every time a power is selected.  As you take the level 4 power, it becomes the level 6 one.  When you take something at 6, NR moves to 8.  It doesn't do this for other AT's.

Also, NR isn't available in game at level 2, but all AT's have it listed that way.

Happy Hunting

filcher

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I posted to the CoH boards also. Apparently Ninja Run has eaten some other inherent powers as well! Guess the only option is to wait for an update...sigh.

I don't suppose anyone knows how to edit Mids and restore the other Inherent powers? I personally don't need Ninja Run displayed in my Mids build.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. I posted to the CoH boards also. Apparently Ninja Run has eaten some other inherent powers as well! Guess the only option is to wait for an update...sigh.

I don't suppose anyone knows how to edit Mids and restore the other Inherent powers? I personally don't need Ninja Run displayed in my Mids build.

That's what Zombie Man was talking about.  I'd ask that you two take it to PMs if you're going to talk about editing the DB.  ston3y and EA get a little twitchy when it comes to that ;)

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »
ston3y and EA get a little twitchy when it comes to that ;)
Only in the sense that it's probably the easiest way to screw up your Mids' install, and it's kinda hard to help you fix it if you ask for help later ;)

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »

Look to your PMs on this board.

filcher

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
I'm guessing I didn't word my request correctly.  I previously "edited" Mids using the data base editor in Mids to correct a power that wasn't taking the correct enhancements (which has since been corrected in the latest update).  I believe that was by the design of the developers to allow me those editing privileges.  I only meant to ask if there was a way, using the data base editor provided, to add Energy Flight and/or delete Ninja Run NOT to edit the program code itself.  I appologize for the misunderstanding.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:05:56 PM »
That's what they're talking about; editing the database.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Sorry, there is some internal conflicts being raised on the topics. But I'll give ya some in-sight.

You're not changing code, you are doing exactly what Mids intended when he gave the users the ability to edit their database. However it's a pain the padook to install a new version over a modified database (sometimes...)

Scenario: You change your database. Some time passes... BOOM. New Mids' version released. Ok. Download;Install run.... CRAP. One or both of the following just happened: All of your changes were lost and/or your changes conflict with the new data and cause errors, or at the very least incorrect totals.

However, Mids inadvertently made the data very easy to interchange. So St0n3y and I got to talking and we decided making a small options screen where you can switch between custom data and the "official" data.

I'm even working on some logic that will figure out a third option called "Merge" and it will merge the new data with your data (upon a new release) without changing the things that you've changed. However, this feature is a bit of a stretch of my imagination and I think the former proposal is a happy-medium that will make a lot of people happy. 
~Steinerd

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »
I'm guessing I didn't word my request correctly.  I previously "edited" Mids using the data base editor in Mids to correct a power that wasn't taking the correct enhancements (which has since been corrected in the latest update).  I believe that was by the design of the developers to allow me those editing privileges.  I only meant to ask if there was a way, using the data base editor provided, to add Energy Flight and/or delete Ninja Run NOT to edit the program code itself.  I appologize for the misunderstanding.

And I sent you the instructions of how to edit the database to make Energy Flight show instead of Ninja Run. So, did you get that thing I sentchya? Check your personal messages here.

dmain824

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
Since I did not have the ninja run power I edited the database and changed the level on Ninja Run to 50.  This brought back energy flight.  Is the change global to all characters used or just the one I had open when I did it.  If I get an update will the new database overstamp the old one?

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
Yes.

Scenario: You change your database. Some time passes... BOOM. New Mids' version released. Ok. Download;Install run.... CRAP. One or both of the following just happened: All of your changes were lost and/or your changes conflict with the new data and cause errors, or at the very least incorrect totals.
I'm beginning to question why I even bother writing out explanations if no one ever reads them.
~Steinerd

dmain824

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
guess I will have to uninstall and reinstall the next time a release comes out

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
Nopers. you can simply choose WHERE to install the next copy. Have it be a different location than the previous and setup the shortcuts respectively. It's what Stoney and I do between our different build versions, lol. The data directory is relative to the exe, so aslong as there is a Data folder in the same directory you're running the app from, it should use THAT data, and not the new data.
~Steinerd

Vrmithrax

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
So, I guess my question (since I didn't see it actually stated elsewhere) is:  Is the whole missing inherent powers issue going to be fixed on a new update?  To me, it seems like the inherent powers (which EVERY Kheldian has) would be a bit more important than the optional Ninja Run power...  As it is now, I can't create a proper build for my WarShade, since I normally throw some slots onto Shadow Step.  Love Mids otherwise, been using it (and recommending it to others) for years, but this is a pretty annoying little oversight :)

So, do we get a new fixed version down the line, or do we have to go through this whole convoluted database editing thing if we want our builds accurate?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »
I think I can say with confidence that there will not be a fix before Going Rogue. I believe Steiner has a bunch of other stuff on his plate aside from updating Mids' to I18/GR, as well, I suspect the answer is "not soon".

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 03:05:39 PM »
I wish I were an Oscar-Meyer wiener... HA didn't expect that answer did ya!

I'll have St0n3y poke it with a stick, see if it moves... lol But like FW said, probably not a likely fix before next post-GR release.
~Steinerd

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »
It's all or nothing basically.  The way Mids' was coded, only X amount of inherent powers can be displayed.  The only way to get Ninja Run to show was by changing it to an inherent power, and the slot it uses happens to be the same slot the Kheld inherent power occupies.  The same principal applies to the ammo types in Dual Pistols.

Bottom line, it is either have Ninja Run and it only affect Kheld builds, or not have Ninja Run at all.  I went with the second option since there are more people that use Ninja Run than people who play Khelds.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

Critical Ebon

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Could someone post how to make this change to ninja run? I'm currently working on a PB build and this would help immensely.