Author Topic: Mids crashing at runtime  (Read 3558 times)

elizibar

• Underling
Mids crashing at runtime
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
I did a clean install of Mids to G:\Mids Hero Designer

Try to run it, and Vista pops up "Mids' Hero Designer has stopped working"

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   hero designer.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.6.1.0
  Problem Signature 03:   4aaf85ce
  Problem Signature 04:   Hero Designer
  Problem Signature 05:   1.6.1.0
  Problem Signature 06:   4aaf85ce
  Problem Signature 07:   1f
  Problem Signature 08:   c6
  Problem Signature 09:   System.InvalidOperationException
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I'm running Vista 64 on an Intel i7 CPU.  I'm not sure what all information would be useful to give.

Mids worked fine until the I16 update, which stopped my original Mids installation from working (same error).  Since it's been a few months, I figured I should say something.  No combination of compatibility mods, running it as an administrator, etc. help the problem.

...I guess I could always virtualize a Windows XP environment in VMware to run Mids, but that might expose me for the CoH build addict that I am. >.>;

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
Re: Mids crashing at runtime
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
I did a clean install of Mids to G:\Mids Hero Designer

Try to run it, and Vista pops up "Mids' Hero Designer has stopped working"

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   hero designer.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.6.1.0
  Problem Signature 03:   4aaf85ce
  Problem Signature 04:   Hero Designer
  Problem Signature 05:   1.6.1.0
  Problem Signature 06:   4aaf85ce
  Problem Signature 07:   1f
  Problem Signature 08:   c6
  Problem Signature 09:   System.InvalidOperationException
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I'm running Vista 64 on an Intel i7 CPU.  I'm not sure what all information would be useful to give.

Mids worked fine until the I16 update, which stopped my original Mids installation from working (same error).  Since it's been a few months, I figured I should say something.  No combination of compatibility mods, running it as an administrator, etc. help the problem.

...I guess I could always virtualize a Windows XP environment in VMware to run Mids, but that might expose me for the CoH build addict that I am. >.>;

Was this give a .NET Exception, or a straight-up MS crash message? 

Also, what versions of the .NET framework do you have installed?  Do you have all of the security updates (and service packs) installed for both Vista64 and the .NETs?

Not specifically a Mids developer, but I figure I might be able to get the troubleshooting wheels turning.  This is the first that I (personally) have heard about this issue.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
(I recommended backing up any builds you might have in your "My Documents" before doing this)

This error might be due to something REAL stupid (on my behalf) I forgot to include in the newest installation.
I've had to deal with something like this once before... it's usually because Mids' is attempting to get its information from 2 locations...

I need you to look in a few places, you having Vista x64 and all.

Check (C:\ assumed to be your boot drive letter, change to the correct letter if different)
  • C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Local
  • C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)
  • C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Romaing
For any folders with Mids in the name, (make sure your any instances of Mids' are closed) and delete any folders you might see with Mids in the name from the above list. Uninstall Mids using the uninstaller shortcut in your start-menu programs, go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Mids.... etc or whatever you might have it named as, and manually delete any residual files and directories (including "Data" folders).

Now attempt a completely new install and everything SHOULD work.

Reply back with your findings, or if you feel this is over your head I can provide you a link (via PM) for me to remote assist you using GoToAssistExpress.
~Steinerd

elizibar

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:57 AM »
Was this give a .NET Exception, or a straight-up MS crash message? 

Also, what versions of the .NET framework do you have installed?  Do you have all of the security updates (and service packs) installed for both Vista64 and the .NETs?

Not specifically a Mids developer, but I figure I might be able to get the troubleshooting wheels turning.  This is the first that I (personally) have heard about this issue.

Straight up MS crash message.

Just to be sure it wasn't an update issue, I went and updated everything to the most current things Windows Update would let me get.  That didn't help things, so I uninstalled .NET and got the latest redistributable package (.NET framework 3.5), then ran windows update in case there were any hotfixes or misc. updates that the download I grabbed needed.

Didn't help.

(I recommended backing up any builds you might have in your "My Documents" before doing this)

This error might be due to something REAL stupid (on my behalf) I forgot to include in the newest installation.
I've had to deal with something like this once before... it's usually because Mids' is attempting to get its information from 2 locations...

I need you to look in a few places, you having Vista x64 and all.

(snip awesome directions)

There were no folders with Mids in their names in those directories.  To be safe, I went ahead and had Vista search my computer for any instances of Mids.  It found a shortcut randomly stuck in a folder on my desktop but came up empty for anything outside of the Mids folder itself.  I went ahead and uninstalled Mids.

Then I got to thinking that I should check the registry, so I did.  I found a couple keys sitting in there referencing Mids, and pointing to the wrong directory (to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mids... instead of G:\Mids... where I normally install it).  So I deleted those.  I should have taken note of the full information to pass along here but it didn't occur to me at the moment.

Reinstalled Mids, ran it, crashed.

Did the stuff I described after the quote from Nicster, ran Mids, same crash.  Went through your directions again, uninstalled, reinstalled Mids.  Ran it.  Same crash.

At this point, I'm willing to chalk it up one of those bizarre computer problems that isn't really worth too much effort to fix.  It's totally not a big deal.  Virtualization is pretty quick and easy these days, and I can always just run Mids on my little Win XP netbook.  ...Which is a nice idea for when I do respecs:  less alt-tabbing between CoH and Mids.

Thanks for your help; I do appreciate it. :)

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
There were no folders with Mids in their names in those directories.  To be safe, I went ahead and had Vista search my computer for any instances of Mids.  It found a shortcut randomly stuck in a folder on my desktop but came up empty for anything outside of the Mids folder itself.  I went ahead and uninstalled Mids.
By default, Mids' builds are stored in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Hero & Villain Builds. The saved builds use the MXD filetype extension.