Author Topic: Feed back, error report, suggeston  (Read 4071 times)

Mythobeast

• Underling
Feed back, error report, suggeston
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
Hi, there. I've been following the hero planners for some time now, and I really have to say that the current iteration is an excellent piece of software. It makes it very easy to build a character, and reasonably easy to figure out the order that I built it when I have to re-create the build in a respec. I'll go apply the "true praise" and toss a donation your way.

First, I found a bug that I figured you'd want to know about. When I put a slash in the "name" field of an unsaved character (i.e. "EG Force/Therm"), and then click "save" or "save as", I get a statement that an error occured. This should be pretty easy to sort out.

Second, I wanted to make a suggestion. In order to better plan the order in which powers are taken, could you include some indication of how early a power could be taken when it's selected? For instance, Stamina can be taken at level 20. The way I was thinking this could be done is to make the squares behind the level 20 and above powers a different color, indicating a range at which the power could be taken. For extra credit, you might consider only highlighting the background behind those after the prerequisites (e.g. only after Health is taken), and then highlight the background behind Health to lvl 20 an intermediate color.

Best,

The Mythological Beast

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Feed back, error report, suggeston
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
In order to better plan the order in which powers are taken, could you include some indication of how early a power could be taken when it's selected?

If you have Pop-Up: On selected, you should be able to see that information by hovering either over any selected power on the right or the name of any power on the left.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:06:29 PM »
First:  / is not allowed in files names no matter the program.  / denotes a new folder.  If you want the primary and secondary in the file name, you will need to save it like this "EG Force-Therm".

Second:  Mid's already shows you what level a power is available both in the pop-up (if you have that option turned on) and in the description window in the bottom right corner.  The level the power is available is next to the power name in that window.  Also, once a power is available, it highlights green in the power list.  If a power is not available yet, it stays light blue.  Basically what you are looking for is already there.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
Code Monkey behind Mids' 2 Cents: (lol)
I made it so when new text loads into the description window (pop-out or not) the scroll wheel will move the axis of the description WITHOUT having to click into it. Very useful feature :D lol.

Also, Windows itself has a list of unusable illegal characters which are:
Code: [Select]
\ / : ? * " < > |(last one is called "pipe symbol" ( shift+ \ )

Mids will throw errors if Windows does, though I will attempt to throw an exception in this case. Because I'd hate to build something all the way, save it with one of those characters, and have Mids close out due to an error.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:36:59 PM by Steiner »
~Steinerd

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:12:50 AM »
Steiner, if you're looking into clearing up name save problems, I recommend testing '?' as well. I haven't tried recently, but I recall having some trouble in the past trying to save the build for my Luminary Nemesis automaton, "Luminary?" :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:14:10 AM »
A random thought on the invalid character issue (without knowing exactly how the "NAME:" field is saved in the .mxd files):  when the program attempts to convert the "NAME" field into a file name for a saved build, would it be possible to convert invalid characters to a default character such as '-' or '_'?

In that way, if "EG Force/Therm" were entered in the name field, when first trying to save the build, the file name created would be something like "EG Force-Therm" or "EG Force_Therm".
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
A random thought on the invalid character issue (without knowing exactly how the "NAME:" field is saved in the .mxd files):  when the program attempts to convert the "NAME" field into a file name for a saved build, would it be possible to convert invalid characters to a default character such as '-' or '_'?

In that way, if "EG Force/Therm" were entered in the name field, when first trying to save the build, the file name created would be something like "EG Force-Therm" or "EG Force_Therm".

I would advise against automatically doing this, to prevent any possible confusion with the user. It should have the same type of dialog that Windows uses saying "hey, you can use these characters {blah character list}.  Try again}

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »
Yea, ? is on that list FW. I forgot it.

Yea, I'm going agree with Nicster on that.

Each illegal character would have to be assigned a valid character, and there simple just aren't that many, and I'd probably end up confusing the code (and myself) let alone the users.

Going to stick with a nice modal dialog box or tool-tip that states the valid chars.
~Steinerd

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:32 AM »
Each illegal character would have to be assigned a valid character, and there simple just aren't that many ...
Why? Just replace them all with a single valid character, like Eabrace suggested initially.

Although in the grand scheme of things, I don't support the change, since it gives the user results different from expected, replacing all invalid characters with a single valid character is far more intelligent if ya'll went for that than trying to do ten different valid characters for ten different invalid characters.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
I think I'll just enable usage of the description file attribute, users will be able to set that as a viewable column in file view. It will just list the Primary/Secondary/Epic. Sound fair?
~Steinerd

eskevar

• Underling
Bug Report
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »
Build 1.69.112 09/Jan/2010
PeaceBringer creation

I can place a lv 3-50 slot in a bright nova from power (lv6+)
I can place a lv 3-50 slot in a white dwarf from power (lv20+)
Normally I can add only slot of that power or higher, so if I choose Dwarf at 30lv, i can add slot 31+

Think that also warshade have same problem (this not tested)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:18:19 AM by eskevar »

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
Re: Bug Report
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »
I can place a lv 3-50 slot in a bright nova from power (lv6+)
I can place a lv 3-50 slot in a white dwarf from power (lv20+)
Normally I can add only slot of that power or higher, so if I choose Dwarf at 30lv, i can add slot 31+

Think that also warshade have same problem (this not tested)
It's been a while since I respecced a kheld, but I believe that's not a bug (since you can do that when respeccing in the actual game)

eskevar

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:43:06 PM »
In game I never respec a PB or WS..
I see the problem with the MHD only when I see what power choose for that toon (start to play 2 months ago and that is my first one).
Anyway I must do the respec of that toon because I choose wrong power at low level, then I can say something about it.
MDS is anyway a must.