Author Topic: Installing Windows 7  (Read 11487 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Installing Windows 7
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:50:51 AM »
Well, tonight I began the tedious process of installing Windows 7.  I mean, not so tedious in the actual installation, but since I was running XP before, I'm going to have to reinstall all of my applications.  Even that's not so bad, a few hours can get me around 99% up and running, but getting all of my settings is always a pain.  But I digress...

So anyway, I've heard good reports of Windows 7 running City of Heroes so far.  I sure hope to hell that they're correct, because I loathe Windows Vista with a purple passion you cannot measure, and I always had problems with it even though I have really a really decent hardware setup.  (I haven't blown away my WinXP system partition yet, just in case!)

Still, I've never been one to turn down helpful hints and advice.  What's everyone else's experience with City of Heroes on Windows 7 so far?  Good, bad, neutral?  Have you run across any gotchas or figured out any clever tricks to make the experience better?  Probably sometime tomorrow I'll get my first taste of what it's like since I'm about to conk out for the night, but I thought I'd get a head start on any thoughts or ideas.

St0n3y

• Boss
Re: Installing Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »
Been runnin Win7 for a while, and have had ZERO isues with it.  Runs everything I throw at it like a champ.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
Been runnin Win7 for a while, and have had ZERO isues with it.  Runs everything I throw at it like a champ.

This.

Catharctic

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm going to upgrade soon.

St0n3y & SP,

Do you leave the features on that carried over from Vista? (UAC, Aero, etc.)

I haven't had any major issues with Vista because I've had things like that turned off for a while. (A lot of people report issues with those features. I just said, "screw it" and turned them off.)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
Aero is awesome, and UAC doesn't really bother me.  It's an annoyance when you first install because it needs to get everything set up, but after that it's not a big deal.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
A buddy of mine got Win7 already and it's awesome.  I'm looking to Upgrade from XP in time, but may just end up getting a whole new machine.

Catharctic

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Aero is awesome, and UAC doesn't really bother me.  It's an annoyance when you first install because it needs to get everything set up, but after that it's not a big deal.

I really like Aero on Vista, but it seemed to be a meanie to COH for quite a while, so I turned it off a long time ago.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »
I really like Aero on Vista, but it seemed to be a meanie to COH for quite a while, so I turned it off a long time ago.

My desktop isn't anything special (Nvidia 8600 256mb RAM, 3GB RAM, etc), and it ran CoH exactly the same with Aero on or off.  Obviously results will vary, but all I'm saying is that my system wasn't some crazy beast and it was ok with Aero on.

When I get my desktop back next week (currently with the wife in GA), I'll install Windows 7 on it and I'll be able to give you a better opinion.  Right now I've just got it on my laptop and that thing can barely run CoH with everything turned down regardless.

Catharctic

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »
Cool.

Let me know.

I don't think it was an issue with Aero & COH. I think it was a combination of things, including the graphics card I'm using at the moment. It may actually be resolved at this point. I might turn it back on cuz it's so pretty.  ;D

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »
Dan, side note, but you just made me aware that your Graphics Card and RAM are exactly the same specs as my own.....that's awesome....

Sorry, just find that interesting...

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »
I turn UAC off because it annoys the hell out of me.  Aero stays on.   I have Win7 Ultimate 64 running on both my desktops and my laptop, and CoH runs great on all of them (except for having to crank graphics down on the laptop due to the low graphics memory).

Desktop 1:
Intel Core I7 920 2.66 GHz
EVGA E758-A1 X58 MB
EVGA GTX285 1GB DDR3
12GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
150GB WD VelociRaptor 10000RPM
500GB WD 7200RPM

Desktop 2:
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40HGz
BioStar TForce 550 MB
4GB DDR2
GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
1.6 TB drive space

Laptop:
Intel Core2Duo T7500 2.2GHz
4GB DDR2
GeForce  8600M GT 256MB

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
When I had aero running on Vista, if I alt-tabbed out of CoH, it would have problems.  It's been so long now that I can't remember whether it would crash or just stop displaying anything, but I distinctly remember that I had to turn aero off for CoH to work, since I'm constantly tabbing out to check something on the Paragon Wiki or otherwise do stuff.

Also, CoH would periodically crash for no reason at all.  Here's what it would look like:

I was running the latest and greatest drivers and went through all of the troubleshooting steps to try to keep it from happening, all to no avail.  A bunch of people told me that it was overheating, or that it was a hardware problem, and I returned my video card and got a new one with the same result.  I also added a bunch of case fans, and the temperature inside the case was actually really cool.  After I blew away Vista and went back to Windows XP, everything worked fine, and that never happened again.  I haven't played enough under Windows 7 to determine if that will start happening again; obviously, I hope not.  The aero thing seems like a non-issue though, so far.  I could tab out without issue.

That's not the only reason I hated Vista, there were other really hum-dingers.  City of Heroes was but one application that I had problems with.  I'm still in the process of installing and testing stuff to see how it works.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
I never had any issues with Vista ... at all.  8)

Also - I run CoH windowed.

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
I didn't have problems with Vista either.  Gaming rig would run full screen, other desktop I could run multiple windowed instances, and do a lot of other things and not have issues.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
I had an issue like that, it was the crappy support the 8000 series GForce cards had for Vista. Problems have been resolved for Win7 since Win7 can user relatively any driver.
~Steinerd

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »
I loathe Windows Vista with a purple passion you cannot measure
Then why are you getting W7? W7 is pretty much just a Vista service pack, in a new box. See Windows Mojave.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 05:09:30 AM »
This was Vista... not Win7

Though Win7 has a lot of the same features Vista... Win7 base code is completely different.

It supports almost ALL drivers, doesn't require Internet Explorer to be installed as the library that runs your file explorer (as vista did), handles Virtualization MUCH better... to the point where I can get Ubuntu running on VirtualPC for Win7, it handles system resources like XP does (meaning you don't need 2gigs of Ram to run it)... just to name a few.

Windows will always have its faults, no doubt about it... however saying that Win7 is Vista is an udder fabrication of the truth and quite hurtful  :'(. lol

You're prolly running a linux distro, so your overall exposure to the hell Vista had and the beauty of Win7 in contrast, should be UNBELIEVABLY different if you haven't already experienced the difference.

..:kick:.. so there!
~Steinerd

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »
doesn't require Internet Explorer to be installed as the library that runs your file explorer (as vista did)
I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE I.E. INSTALLED???? REALLY????

*BRAIN ASPLODES IN GLEE AT THE POSSIBILITY* ????
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 06:11:42 AM »
Then why are you getting W7? W7 is pretty much just a Vista service pack, in a new box. See Windows Mojave.

Yeah, they say that, but there really is a difference that I can tell.  By this time with Windows Vista, I had gotten to the point where I was almost ready to swear it off.  I had all sorts of problems running City of Heroes, problems that I'm not getting now.  Well, except that the UAC still dings me whenever I try to run it.  >:(  Still, so far it has been stable, and I can actually take screenshots now.

And other stuff has been working similarly well so far, not nearly the pain and anguish I experienced with Vista.  I suppose you could argue that developers have gotten used to the New Way of Doing Things by now, and by extension, Win 7 : Vista as Win XP : Win 2000, and maybe you're right.  Still, it doesn't change the fact that it is a much better experience.

Although, don't get me wrong.  I'm sure I'll still find fault with stuff.  So far, the UAC on CoH launch is irritating.  Also, my G15 keyboard LCD is pretty much useless; the LCD clock app that is supposed to come with it apparently just plain doesn't work.  And they kept that stupid filesystem layout with the Program Files (x64) stuff.  Those are minor annoyances, though, and mitigated by the fact that stuff actually works so far, something I couldn't say with Vista.

On the bright side, there have been a few surprises.  This morning when I went into my office, the machine was off.  At first, that irritated me because I don't like waiting for my machine to wake up out of sleep mode.  I hit the power button, and I swear to god within two seconds or so, it was on.  Bam!  Just like that.  A lot like my MacBook, in fact.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'm going to leave the drop-into-sleep-mode setting on and save a few bucks on my power bill.  And the whole "pin my apps to the taskbar" thing is cool, too.  It's about time that PCs caught up to the Mac in that arena too, whose dock has been doing that for ages.  And I honestly don't remember if Vista does this (I don't think it does), but the ability to customize how system tray icons show up is actually pretty ingenious.  (And something, I daresay, the Mac--gasp!--doesn't do!)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:17:16 AM by TonyV »

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE I.E. INSTALLED???? REALLY????

*BRAIN ASPLODES IN GLEE AT THE POSSIBILITY* ????

That right der ;D