Author Topic: HeroCon  (Read 7316 times)

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
HeroCon
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »
So who is going?

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: HeroCon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »
I don't live anywhere near California, so I'm out.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
So who is going?
I was going to--I really, really was.  I even put in for vacation on that Friday and Monday to go.  But given my current job situation with things being up in the air, and how much it would cost me to go (probably at least $750 - $1000, depending on how much entertainment I partake in), I just can't justify the hit on my budget.  :(

I like the game, I really do, and I've spent probably more on it than any rational person would.  But piling that much more on under these circumstances would push me beyond avid fan clearly into the realm of just plain stupid.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
I fully realize that they're headquartered in California, but Paragon Studios needs to seriously consider hosting events on the East Coast sometime.  They've pretty much completely ignored the whole coast since inception.

It's a lot easier for them to transport a number of staff and display stuff than it would be for hundreds of fans.  I'm sure they'd make more than their expenditures back.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
I remember about a year ago, talking about this or some other event on the Official Boards.  I was going to meet up with a few people and have a bowling tourny....well, I never really planned on going since I can't afford it at all.......

I really want to go to something like this, never been, but I just simply can't afford to travel that far. :(

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
If nothing else, they should at least have a get together every once in a while in Rhode Island.  Just saying.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:50 AM »
BOOFALO!!!!

It has like 2 big ass convention centers and it's right on the border with our Canadian brethren, lol.

RI SUCKS! BLUAH! lol

Seriously, I'm pretty sure if we bring it up we might be able to start a donation thing to raise enough to bring the big names out here and have a "Titan Network presents: HeroCon EAST" lol. Idk. just an idea.

Cept East Coast is po' and most of us are pretty froogle with our cash, might not go over too well. lmao.
~Steinerd

gothess

• Lieutenant
  • Dodge This!
    • COH Anonymous SG/ Black Sheep VG
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 05:15:59 AM »
I'm poor and I'm going! :P

Along with two other girly friends, one real life, one I met through the game. It will also be my first ever gaming convention. Thinking of saving up and going to ComicCon next year. *crosses fingers* :D
-T
(aka Ani)

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
....: kicks stone over:..:mumbles:. lucky {insert expletive here}.... :'(
~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I'll go if Steiner pays my way.  ;D

I was actually considering the trip with my brother, but he's so flaky that I decided to stop working on it.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
Well... If you're speaking of "HeroCon East", my imaginary east coast HeroCon, lol... than you're <bleep> out of luck.

I've heard of conventions settings groups to raise enough cash to send a cross-state shuttle bus to x locations for each member of the group, round trip... can't imagine how much it costs though, lol. Probably in the multiple thousands.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:53:54 PM by Steiner »
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
It would probably cost about the same as a charter bus for any other trip like that.  You just hire the charter out of the furthest location away, have them drive to the event picking people up enroute.  Then on the way back they drop people off on the way back through.

Would be interesting with something like that to see if it was organized as everyone paying equally regardless of distance from the event or a structured cost share based on distance from the event.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Catharctic

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
Maybe next year?  ;)

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
Perhaps ! LOL

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
I'm poor and I'm goin' too, and I live on the East Coast. :P
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:56 AM »
Then I guess my use of the word poor was taken too lightly... because I'd hate to be the one to say it... but if you have the money to go to HeroCon... then you're not poor. You're not as 'wealthy' as you might have been recently, but you are most definitely not poor.

And if you are legitimately poor, and are still going to this convention, you're fiscal priorities are quite skewed.

Far be it from me to tell anyone how to live your life or spend your money, however there is an obvious conflict in how I perceive poor and how everyone else seems to perceive it.

Hate to bring this thread down on a note like this, but I take money quite seriously... and claims of being poor when they're obviously not.
~Steinerd

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
Well if you put it that way, which I can understand and certainly agree with...I have money to go, as I do make enough to support myself with necessities then a tad bit left over for fun....however, I'm paying for a wedding and trying to get a house...so my entire life savings is going out the window lol.

So granted, I'm not poor, persay, I certainly will be by the end of the month! >_<

Hence, I'm not going....this time....but who knows what the future holds :P.  I try to stay optomistic :gonk:

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 01:55:45 PM »
Yeah I was going to go into a big explanation but then I realized that very few people have the right to know my financial situation.

But to put it short, were I unable to pay my bills, I would not be going. The entertainment luxuries that many people take for granted I don't have. I will certainly take a hit with this trip but I will in time recover.

I went to a small floating con for six years (with some years I did have to skip because of financials) where I saw the same people making the same excuse every year: 'Oh it's too far away, I can't afford to go.' Yet, knowing it was coming a year in advance every time, they failed to save up each year for even the minimum to go. After 10 or so years of that you've long worn out your excuse, you're just lazy or you never plan.
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

gothess

• Lieutenant
  • Dodge This!
    • COH Anonymous SG/ Black Sheep VG
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
I am poor but planned this well in advance so I had the money to go. I don't pay bills (but will start to after this trip  :P). Currently my only recurring payment is the $15 for the game each month. I live with my boyfriend (well, fiance, but I hate using that word) and his parents, so they pretty much take care of everything else.

I was $8 away from being totally broke last month because I only work during the school year in three 10-week sessions, part-time, off during the summer so no money coming in. And something in my calculations wasn't quite right, but since I started working again, I should be set for this trip. :D

My sisters funded part of my trip because they love me and also I've ALWAYS helped them out of money jams in the past, this was the first time I asked for financial help. :P

I'm excited! Yay!
-T
(aka Ani)

Catharctic

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
Awesome Video Footage Courtesy of Vangelus:

Opening Ceremony Keynote - 1 (Intro)

Opening Ceremony Keynote - 2 <-- Epic Sauce

Opening Ceremony Keynote - 3 (Q & A)