Author Topic: In the News  (Read 9610 times)

Catharctic

In the News
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
Disney Buys Marvel

File this one under, "Things that make you go 'ZOMG NO!'"

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: In the News
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
Disney Buys Marvel

File this one under, "Things that make you go 'ZOMG NO!'"

So much rage about this, so little reason.  Disney owns a lot of things that weren't really impacted by the buyout.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
I saw a story on that just a few minutes ago.

And then I had a moment of silence for Marvel.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:49 AM »
Heard about that sometime this morning, wasn't official though....so I guess it is now....

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »
I'm not a big Marvel fan.  I mean, some of the characters and stories are great, but as a company, I just can't come to terms with how they sued Cryptic and NCsoft because *gasp!* you could make hero characters, including (with just the right settings) ones that bore some resemblance to Marvel characters.  Worse, they sued in spite of NCsoft upholding bans and genericization of copies of copyrighted characters.  And the biggest sin, of course, was that Marvel itself was creating these characters as "evidence" to use in the lawsuit!  All because they were coming out with their own MMORPG and didn't want the competition.

Yeah, after that, I didn't have much use for Marvel.  And of course, Disney is the company that has basically bought indefinite copyright terms.  They can both go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Catharctic

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »
So much rage about this, so little reason.  Disney owns a lot of things that weren't really impacted by the buyout.

I'm actually only concerned with a fringe issue on this: Universal's Islands of Adventure.

I'm probably only concerned because we're planning to go there for Christmas this year. I'm sure it wouldn't be affected soon, but it will be affected in some way by the buy-out.

Catharctic

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
I'm actually only concerned with a fringe issue on this: Universal's Islands of Adventure.

I'm probably only concerned because we're planning to go there for Christmas this year. I'm sure it wouldn't be affected soon, but it will be affected in some way by the buy-out.

Yeah, that's the only thing I'm scratching my head over how it will be handled. 

I mean, the comics aren't going to "Disneyfied".  Look at Kill Bill. That was released by a Disney-owned company.  Look at Lost. Another Disney property.  I'm not too worried.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I'm expecting at least one crappy new Marvel animated series aimed at the kiddies to appear on Toon Disney or something in the next year.  (Not that they haven't already been throwing every Marvel animated series from the past 15 years up on their channels lately.)

That would be the most likely avenue I can see Disney exploiting until they drive a franchise into the ground.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
I'm expecting at least one crappy new Marvel animated series aimed at the kiddies to appear on Toon Disney or something in the next year.  (Not that they haven't already been throwing every Marvel animated series from the past 15 years up on their channels lately.)

It's not like Marvel themselves have produced any worthwhile cartoons recently.  Can't really damage what already sucks.

Catharctic

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
It's not like Marvel themselves have produced any worthwhile cartoons recently.  Can't really damage what already sucks.

QFT

Illustration - A Wolverine Quote From X-Men Evolution - "Recycle that, will ya?"  :gonk:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Can't really damage what already sucks.

Sure you can.  You can keep replaying it over and over and over again until even Stan Lee starts crying and screaming "Why won't it just go away?!"  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »
Sure you can.  You can keep replaying it over and over and over again until even Stan Lee starts crying and screaming "Why won't it just go away?!"  :)

LOL, I can say QFT on some of the things I remember back on old school TV...

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »

I'm enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men :P

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »
I just saw an episode of that last night and was like "Another X-men saga?!"  It's not bad, but sheesh, there's like a dozen different versions of the X-Men that have surfaced since the original Cartoon.

Just like the Transformer sagas.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
I just saw an episode of that last night and was like "Another X-men saga?!"  It's not bad, but sheesh, there's like a dozen different versions of the X-Men that have surfaced since the original Cartoon.

3 animated X-Men Series:

X-Men (1992-1997), X-Men Evolution (2000-2003), and Wolverine and the X-Men (2008-Present)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
A Wolverine Quote From X-Men Evolution - "Recycle that, will ya?"  :gonk:
Depends what "that" is :P

I mean, if "that" is Toad or something, it's funny. If it's litter, then it's stabbin' time.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
Depends what "that" is :P

I mean, if "that" is Toad or something, it's funny. If it's litter, then it's stabbin' time.
from here: http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/xmenevolutio/Strategy_X.htm

[The clerk grabs a bottle of water from the refrigerator behind him.]

Clerk: Warm weather we're havin' for this time of year.

[He sets the bottle down and Logan snatches it, leaving money on the counter. The sound of his adamantium claws can be heard, slicing off the top of the bottle.]

Clerk: Huh?

Logan: Ah.

[He sets the bottom half of the bottle on the counter.]

Logan: Recycle that, will ya?

[He leaves the store and gets on his bike. Sabretooth is watching from atop a rock. He growls, revealing yellowish fangs.]

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »

That would be the most likely avenue I can see Disney exploiting until they drive a franchise into the ground.

like this? <--?
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes