Author Topic: Contact Referral Lists  (Read 4454 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Contact Referral Lists
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:46:26 AM »
As it is right now, the "Contact Introduced By" and "New Contact(s)" info for each CoH contact is entered as people find ones that aren't already on that contact's page.  However, since Red Tomax already has the charts and methodology explained for which contacts can refer or be referred by others, would there be any problem with me going ahead and filling in the possible combinations?

I'd like to keep the formatting I started using earlier with Genevieve Sanders and expand it through the contacts up to about level 25-29.  I'll take suggestions on how the contacts should be sorted, though.  I had been sorting them alphabetically by last name like they would be in the real world, but I understand that a lot of sorting done with the game material is alphabetically by the actual spelling of the words (meaning by first name).

One thing I'd like to omit is any referral to a contact who is beyond the immediate level range of the existing contact.  An example of this is the article for Cho Ge.  Cho Ge is a level 15-19 contact, but he shows that he will refer Philipa Mereaux who is level 30-34.  I believe this is a case where the character hadn't talked to the contact in quite some time and was offered the next contact at his level range.  I feel this is atypical of the standard contact progression and should not be expected to happen on a regular basis otherwise.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Contact Referral Lists
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
...would there be any problem with me going ahead and filling in the possible combinations?
I think that would be great.

I'd like to keep the formatting I started using earlier with Genevieve Sanders and expand it through the contacts up to about level 25-29.
I like consistency.  This is good.  But I'm curious as to why only through level 29?

I had been sorting them alphabetically by last name like they would be in the real world, but I understand that a lot of sorting done with the game material is alphabetically by the actual spelling of the words (meaning by first name).
I've been doing it the same way you have (by last name) when I've been modifying any of the lists and actually thought about it.

One thing I'd like to omit is any referral to a contact who is beyond the immediate level range of the existing contact.  An example of this is the article for Cho Ge.  Cho Ge is a level 15-19 contact, but he shows that he will refer Philipa Mereaux who is level 30-34.  I believe this is a case where the character hadn't talked to the contact in quite some time and was offered the next contact at his level range.  I feel this is atypical of the standard contact progression and should not be expected to happen on a regular basis otherwise.
You are correct regarding that level 30-34 referral.  I hadn't ever visited Cho with the character after being introduced to him.  That would have been quite some time before the current format of the Contacts window that added the "Active" tab, so I hadn't been aware he had anything to say.  I was cleaning out my active contacts over the weekend and just made a note regarding the introduction to Phillipa.  (The character in question was around 32 or 33 at the time of his visit with Cho.)

I could go either way on keeping or removing any of those references.  I agree that they're probably not "normal" progression, but they're definitely part of the designed system or I would have been introduced to someone in the 25-29 band first and then been immediately referred to Phillpa by my new 25-29 contact the first time I spoke with them.  With the amount of low- to mid-level content available in the game these days, I find that these sorts of introductions where I've missed a level band are not that uncommon for me, but can't speak for others.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
If possible, can we also make a note that some of the contacts can be introduced to by doing a safeguard or mayhem mission?

Example being that I just went through Kalinda and Mongoose, then did papers and a mayhem during DXP.  Without any of the initial PO contacts unlocked, I was referred to The Radio immediately.

Unlocking seems to be a point of confusion with people that I have encountered.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
Did your broker introduce you to the Radio, or were you just get the popup window for a new contact for the radio when you exited the mayhem?

In cases where brokers/detectives provide the introductions, we've started adding those in on the articles, but I don't think all of them have been covered since we initially were only documenting normal contact to normal contact intros.

If the radio just popped up as a contact on exit from a mayhem with no introduction from a broker or another contact (usually Bocor for me), that would be a new one on me.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
Did your broker introduce you to the Radio, or were you just get the popup window for a new contact for the radio when you exited the mayhem?

In cases where brokers/detectives provide the introductions, we've started adding those in on the articles, but I don't think all of them have been covered since we initially were only documenting normal contact to normal contact intros.

If the radio just popped up as a contact on exit from a mayhem with no introduction from a broker or another contact (usually Bocor for me), that would be a new one on me.

It was the broker, yes. -.-

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »
We should be OK then.  Mikey the Ear and Drea the Hook are both listed as providing introductions to the Radio.

On a separate note:
were you just get the popup window
Man, I can't form coherent sentences to save my life today. :P
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
I like consistency.  This is good.  But I'm curious as to why only through level 29?
After looking at the Red Tomax chart again, I'd probably go ahead and fill it in up through level 34.  At level 35 you start adding the psuedo-origin contacts like Steven Sheridan that would make it harder to assume who would be the only contacts that get or make referrals.

As far as the Detective contacts go, I plan to make some characters that I level up exclusively with radio missions.  I've got an idea what system they use for generating referrals, but I'll wait until then to fill it in.