Author Topic: Save files vanishing  (Read 4738 times)

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
Save files vanishing
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:17 PM »
So I just turned the UAC off on my Windows login after being really tired of the constant prompts in Vista. Now I'm missing a few of my MXD files, though I *know* they were in the \Save\ folder before I disabled UAC. If I try doing a search for one of the missing files, Windows says it's not there anymore.

I encountered this problem a couple of times before I disabled the UAC, even though the desktop shortcut was set 'Run as Administrator'. But if I launched Mids from the recently used programs file, also set to 'Run as Administrator', the "missing" MXD files would magically reappear.

I changed the default save location to be back under the \Program Files\Mids\ directory and it hasn't been a problem. (I also don't have anything in the Documents folders because I have yet to transfer my files over. Vista's file management is a PITA compared to XP.)

Does anyone have suggestions on how I could recover my missing builds? Would re-enabling UAC temporarily fix this?

Vista: the greatest way to insult the intelligence of smart users.

Thanks,
-- Lady T

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Save files vanishing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
Well you might not like vista too much... but it's security systems are far superior to XP and most other OSs.

With that, UAC = Off is not exactly the best way to avoid those pop-ups but in contrast to dealing with constant "Are You Sure"'s and forcing every new application to an "auto-answer" it is the simplest (I did it too lol).

Regardless of the UAC being on or off, unless you are logged in as Administrator (you'll know because the "Run as Administrator" check box in properties via the Compatibility tab will be grayed out) the only things that have access to those files in that folder is the program itself and your username; PC-Name\Username.

Meaning, outside of subconscious deletion (I am a victim of this), the only way for those files to go missing is if they were moved by the MIDS' app or possibly a very naughty bug/virus running around your computer with your user credentials.

I would check the default location that you've previously stored builds, and possibly your Documents.
Code: (copy and paste this into an explorer window) [Select]
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Hero & Villain Builds

Let me know if you resolve this issue, because although you seem to be the only one right now... it happening to you means it can happen to others and Titan will need to rectify the issue or notify our users of the application's hidden procedures.
~Steinerd

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
I'm on an administrator login. I've checked off the 'Run as Administrator' for my main apps: City of Heroes, Glycerine, Mids, TeamSpeak. Heck I had to make *Notepad* Run as Admin to edit a bind file.

I could not have accidentally deleted an MXD file as I don't delete old builds but move them into an archive subfolder (i.e. \Mids\Save\Old Builds\). I've also opened Windows Explorer and gone to the \Mids\Save\ folder and the missing files aren't there. Windows Explorer is already set to display Hidden files too.

As for the Documents folder, there is literally nothing there except the standard "let me help you organize better!" Windows folders. One of the first things I do on reinstalling Mids is to change the default save path to where it used to be prior to the Vista correction. The Documents folder is empty because I have yet to transfer my old My Documents files off the external HD.

Avast is running in the background and I don't download much off the 'Net. Not sure how I would infect myself from that. No P2P, IM, opening emails from unknown people, etc. I'll run a forced scan afterwards to make sure.

I don't know how you got the programs to auto-answer. Even setting the little shield on each icon, Vista *still* prompted me every. Bloody. Time. Grrr.

-- Lady T

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »
That is quite odd. If you didn't delete them, I doubt mids has any code that deletes your files... idk that's seriously weird.

Well. Don't you fret much longer, future versions of mids will have the ability to save your builds online, and eventually parse them into the new planner, it will work in the opposite order as well. (I still have to talk to mids about this of course).

btw, the "auto-answer" is a tweak to the security dlls, I have to change it everytime vista does an update, and it's getting to the point where vista can't go 2 days without an update... so I just turned UAC off.

Well, don't have to go to a shady site to get a virus these days... some just inject the binaries into your system via java... tricky stuff out there. Doubt you got hit with anything like that... but it is always an option when files go missing.
~Steinerd

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
I don't think it's Mids. It's something stupid that Windows is doing. A few weeks ago I noticed a newer build "disappear" from the Open File window when I used one shortcut (desktop) versus another shortcut (popular programs on the Start Menu). So I simply started launching the program from the Start Menu only and it seemed to fix the problem.

...until I completely disabled the UAC. I'll re-enable it and see if I can get the vanished files back. I think they're there but something in Windows is masking their presence. And if I get them back I'm copying them to my external HD, redisable UAC, then copy them back to the internal HD.

Shouldn't the line be "future builds may include Feature XYZ" at this point?  ;)

-- Lady T

Catharctic

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:46 AM »
This might be the issue some people are having that causes the program to stall before opening.

Stupid Windows. :-p

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:53:15 AM »
Okay, so I turned Vista's UAC back on and the "missing" MXD files are back again.

I've just duplicated the save files to my external HD and I'll turn off the prompt-for-everything again before I copy them back to the internal drive. I'll find out whether the copies from the external 'stick'/remain visible or not. (I don't see why they wouldn't, but with my luck...)

Mids has an addict over here. I felt lost when I couldn't look at my builds for leveling characters today.  :roll:

-- Lady T

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:10:18 AM by Lady Thanatos »

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
I don't understand how files could go missing based on the UAC being off or on...

Check this out... http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/172929-left-uac-off-huge-virus-problems.html

Sounds like that person has the same issue.

Either windows is being stupid or Avast is being smarter than it should be, lol.
~Steinerd

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
Shouldn't the line be "future builds may include Feature XYZ" at this point?  ;)

-- Lady T

Well... The features I was regarding where of an old thought that SuckerPunch and Mav-X have been attempting to do for awhile...

However, MIDS' is the only one with the source to his application, unlike Glycerine which we have on a private SVN. So the list of feature changes that he's receieved so far are on him... but if I can make a module that just pops up in the background on click to do everything I said in the last post... idk... it's "down the road" ideas honestly.
~Steinerd

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
I have the same problem...I'm on XP but I just ran Mids the other day, first time in months since I virtually stopped playing, and it Updated something, now my Save Files are gone.  I had 2 of them and they are nowhere to be found.  I've turned my PC inside out and can't find them.

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
Okay now I don't know what's going on. Last night after I re-enabled UAC, I ran a FileSync, figured everything was fine, and re-disabled UAC and went to bed.

Except the same "missing" files weren't visible on the internal HD this morning. Okay... re-enable UAC again, reboot, and use Windows Explorer to browse to the internal \Mids\Save\ folder. The files aren't there. Now this is getting really strange.

Shift to Mids, do an Open File and just looked at the screen. The files are back again! ("Missing" files highlighted by me to draw attention to them.)

All right. Then I'll do this the more convoluted way and copy the files from the Open File window over to the external HD. Which would work, if Windows could see the files. Insert muttered curses here.

Yet strangely enough, for a file that is Windows is blind to, I can load up the build. What. The. Fark.  ???

Next I'm going to try exporting the builds to text files and re-import them with a different save name. I've also started a full internal HD scan with Avast. Let's see if it shows something.

-- Lady T

Edit: 26 minutes later and no infected files detected.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:41:28 PM by Lady Thanatos »

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »
seriously... WOW.

This is going in the my book of improbably happenings lol. Let me know if you've got any theories on why it might do this... I'll investigate.
~Steinerd

Shorts

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »
Ahem. If I may...  :)

I may have an explanation to the dissappearing/reappearing act here.

When UAC is enabled (and I strongly suggest to keep it on, but that's another story) and you try to do something windows normally wouldn't allow you to do (like saving files to a folder in Program Files), your request to do so gets, transparently to the user, redirected to a different folder. Namely %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\<Yada Yada>. I'd check for any missing files there.  8)
Excreta ergo sum.

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
Eureka, that's where they were. Stupid virtualization. *moves them back where they belong*

UAC can go take a long walk off a short pier. I dealt with it for two months but enough was enough.  I have other issues with Vista that I'm pointedly ignoring... which is probably why my personal files are still on my external HD to this day.  :P

Thank Shorts!

-- Lady T