Author Topic: Uploaded image gone wonky?  (Read 10487 times)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: Uploaded image gone wonky?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
Everything looks fine to me in Firefox  ???

Deadrocks

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 12:51:08 AM »
I upload a picture of one of my toons, but it isn't showing up anywhere. His page still has the default background picture, and when I go into edit the page, the picture I uploaded isn't shown.

Does it take awhile to process?

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 05:37:06 AM »
Here: (http://pics.livejournal.com/syrusb/pic/000w0za2) is what I am seeing. I picked 4 images where I thought the scrunchiness was most obvious.
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 07:06:41 AM »
I'm scratching my head.  Those images look OK to me.  Maybe I'm missing a detail.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »
It's easiest to tell if you look at the lines. The non-lined images I made have a much more subtle distortion, and I noticed it on one of them first; thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Liz

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »
Hmm, I think I see the issue, but I'm not sure why it would be acting like that.

Is that in Firefox 2 or 3?

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »
Liz

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
FF3 is the bomb diggity.  I'm not seeing the same thing, but i'll poke around on various systems and see what I can dig up.

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 02:43:31 AM »
If it helps, I'm noticing the distortion on all images (or most of them) from anyone; the distortion is more difficult to tell on some images, so I can't be 100% sure.  Also, I am not noticing distortion on the overlayed faction/origin/at icons. It could be that they're too small to tell, but I looked pretty hard at 'em.
Liz

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 03:44:11 AM »
I know why it's doing this... I took a peek at the upload script... after user uploads their image, it passes through a script, one that will create a NEW image in it's place in a "secret" location on our server... now with php, when you use GD2 Image Manipulation to create image files, you have a choice to choose compression/quality.

Changing compression on an image that isn't already 75 from the COH client won't cause much distortion. I will assume that you take pride in those images you're using, and that the original they're taken from what almost no compression and HIGH dpi...?

If that's the case, that the script compressed an image that was originally 100 Quality to 75 causing the icky lines.

Up to you SP, but possibly changing the quality margin in the upload script to 100 would fix these... it will cause larger files on our server... but for the price of happy users, lol.
~Steinerd

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 04:26:59 AM »
Ah if high DPI is the case, I have no problem recreating lower-DPI images for display instead. I usually don't bother dropping the DPI for web icons since I don't think I've encountered a problem with it before now. I don't see the need to 'cause the server extra load and whatnot over a simple matter.
Liz

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 04:44:19 AM »
Shouldn't make a HUGE difference...

But whatever is easiest for SP and yourself I guess...
~Steinerd

werewriter

• Minion
    • Beware of Fanboy
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
I uploaded some images this morning, and they didn't show up. I figured they just needed some time. I just checked them again, and now there's no trace of them - even the icon representing an image is gone! I uploaded 201x201px images, and went through the crop tool with them. Is this a new bug or the same old one being persnickety?
[/url]

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
Everything seems to be uploading just fine for me.  Try clearing your cache and try again?

werewriter

• Minion
    • Beware of Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 12:43:42 AM »
Everything seems to be uploading just fine for me.  Try clearing your cache and try again?

Cleared all private data in firefox, and uploaded them again. They're not displaying, but the icons were there in the list.
[/url]

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
So I made new lower-quality images and uploaded a handful then noticed that didn't make a difference.

I shrugged off the problem for then, but came back to it today. Everything is proportioned correctly in IE, but Firefox is apparently making just about everything slightly larger.

I had my default font sizes in Firefox set to 16pts Tahoma, and dropped it to 12pts (I'm sorry, 12pt is too tiny fer my eyes to stand regularly), but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Here's an overlay, with the Firefox image on 25% opacity. You can see the great difference:

Anyone have a clue how I can smack Firefox into displaying correctly?
Liz

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 12:13:55 AM »
You scaled the UI larger?  Or just the font size? 

If you use a different Firefox (on a different machine, presumably at the default UI scaling) do you see the same results?

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »
I only have one computer. I dunno if I scaled the UI larger. In Firefox's settings all I could change was the default font sizes/types. And I've it set to use a page's set font/size if they are coded so. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

I was looking for some setting that would let me change other sizes and finding nothing.  My DPI in Windows XP is set to 'normal' at 96 (I figured 72 would be the norm...), and that's the closest thing to changing UI scale that I can figure.

I mean.. if this problem is just me I'll deal with it if it can't be changed. I'm probably one of the few out there paying so close attention to notice the difference.
Liz

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
Well the reason I ask is because that image is a specific size - 200x200.  The only way to make it any different is to scale the size the webpages are displayed at within the browser. 

Based on your overlay, I'd wager that's what is going on.   If that's the case, then there's not much I can do.  However, if it's not, I want to make sure it gets checked out.

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:06 AM »
Errr, then do you have any idea how I can change what the browser is doing so it works with a pages default?
Liz