Author Topic: Eternals  (Read 2503 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Eternals
« on: January 19, 2022, 06:57:56 AM »
This movie recently came up on Disney+ and I didn't see a thread for it.  It is a pretty dull movie that might have been better as a series.  It rushes past a lot of potential history and character development to pad out exposition with flashbacks.  The best parts (aside from the camera guy following them around) are at the end - an amusing but terrible looking Pip the Troll, and the introduction of the Black Knight as a potential Avenger.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Eternals
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »
I didn't dislike it per se, it was just boring and slow. Also troubling is that the characters most likely to play larger roles later (Sersei and Dane) weren't the interesting characters in this.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 06:01:17 PM »
The film felt like it could have used another pass in the editing room for pacing, but aside from that, it was OK.  The only real issue with that is we've all been conditioned to expect better than "OK" from Marvel.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »
This movie recently came up on Disney+ and I didn't see a thread for it.  It is a pretty dull movie that might have been better as a series.  It rushes past a lot of potential history and character development to pad out exposition with flashbacks.  The best parts (aside from the camera guy following them around) are at the end - an amusing but terrible looking Pip the Troll, and the introduction of the Black Knight as a potential Avenger.

100% Agree.  For all the talk about how Chloe Zhao was going to make this deep movie about character relationships, it all felt very flat (as was the "action").   

Spoiler for Hidden:
And at the climax, all I could think of was Galactus' emergence in fortnight and how much cooler it was.   The arrival of Pip and Starfox was also very cliche --I liked nothing about it from  "you're friends need help!" cliche to the notion that Starfox and Thanos are siblings.  blech

I have less than no interest in an Eternal sequel, except for the Black Knight.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »
I mean, you don't have to like the movie, but Starfox and Thanos being siblings wasn't a "notion" made up specifically for the movie, that was something established in the Eternals comics in 1973.  That's who the character is and always has been.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
I mean, you don't have to like the movie, but Starfox and Thanos being siblings wasn't a "notion" made up specifically for the movie, that was something established in the Eternals comics in 1973.  That's who the character is and always has been.

Oh, I know that, but given the creative liberties they've taken, this kinda feels like it should have been one of them is all I intended ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 04:39:16 AM »
Given the overall "meh" reputation this movie has garnered, I was pleasantly surprised to find it enjoyable. Perhaps it helps to play lots of Civilization—or just to have lowered expectations. It's definitely a slow burn though, I can see why someone expecting Marvel's usual fast and quippy style would be disappointed.