Author Topic: By the power of Netflix!  (Read 3884 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
By the power of Netflix!
« on: July 25, 2021, 08:21:23 PM »
I'm gonna have to give Masters of the Universe: Revelation a thumbs up.

~~~
Oh hey I just noticed Mark Hamill is the voice of Skeletor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:30:39 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: By the power of Netflix!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 04:53:54 AM »
I immediately recognized his voice in the trailer.  And Buffy as Teela.

It's also apparently done by the same studio that did Castlevania.

Season 1 has allegedly been broken up into two parts, so episode 5 is a sort of mid-season cliffhanger. 

I've enjoyed it so far.  My favourite character was always Orko and he got some great moments.  I suspect he will have more.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 04:38:23 AM »
I admit I used to HATE Orko as a kid, but they did a really good job making me feel for him and like him in this series.

That being said, while I like the show, the tone of the show seems to jump around a lot where it's going for a cheezy kid show, then getting real dark real fast.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:43:20 PM »
I like Mark Hamill more now than when every second or third TV ad was about that movie he was in in the 70's. Thought he was a really good bad guy in the episodes of the Flash I saw him in too. As Skeletor it's like he's even less shackled to reality and takes that persona to the next level.

The most memorable thing to me about original He-Man is that it came on before Thundercats and I used to watch it with my roommate.

This version has great art and characters and seems determined to be dramatic but still pretty much is... He-Man. Kiddy cartoon  : )

Oh that ending! Bad bad Skeletor.. Evil Lyn swapped sides pretty darn fast, huh. Maybe she was just trying to protect them.. or maybe not. If not she sure did switch sides easy lol. Or is she really on her OWN side.. dun dun dunn..

You know who I remember seeing the least of in this? HE-MAN! It was mostly Flea-Man, huh? They're saving him for later..
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 02:09:01 AM »
There's apparently been some drama among some fans about He-Man getting sidelined.  I expected it due to the title.  Hopefully before the end we get at least one moment where He-Man runs, stops, looks both ways, and runs again.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
Oh no, it feels like more of a build up thing to me. I mean, everyone including his alter-ego have been properly introduced and we couldn't really build up the bad guys or the situation any more... Now here He-Man comes to save the day/multiverse/heavens/whatever's current.

They've been holding him back rather than making it all about topping what he just did. Now we know he'd give everything for his friends and that HamillTor is playing for keeps all while letting everyone else (show that they can) take the action. Then in steps He-Man for the big finish.

My expectations have been set. Good luck!

Or maybe Skeletor really does win, becomes Master of the Universe, and He-Man is forever banished to the hell that's reserved for people who had the nerve to leave heaven. And in the sequel Evil-Lyn kills Skeletor, becomes Master of the Universe, burns heaven and hell down making He-man her zombie love slave, while she's revealed to be even nastier than Skeletor ever was.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
With the He-Man and She-Ra licenses split up, I fully expect Teela to find a magic sword and become Tee-La (because she's not changing her name).

And this, let me note, would not be a bad thing.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 09:59:52 PM »
With the He-Man and She-Ra licenses split up, I fully expect Teela to find a magic sword and become Tee-La (because she's not changing her name).

And this, let me note, would not be a bad thing.

See now I was trying to remember how She-Ra fit into the whole He-Man universe. What I remember from the cartoons (that were the only thing worth watching with beers after work) is He-Man *and* She-Ra.. But all we get in this is Teela and I honestly don't even remember her except kinda vaguely. I remember the other main characters. Bad helmet man. Scaredy tiger. Magic imp. Evil Babe. Skeleton dude.

I was more of a Justice League or Hulk or ... you know ... grown-up sophisticated comics fan. So He-Man was a little beneath me at the time but a kiddy cartoon was better than no cartoon. Kinda thing. Having said that I think this is a grown up sophisticated representation of what I remember, while, not leaving behind its kiddy cartoon roots/feel.

Anyway, yeah! I did wonder what happened to She-Ra.
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 02:05:33 AM »
See now I was trying to remember how She-Ra fit into the whole He-Man universe.
Minor lore dump:

Eternia and Etheria are two separate worlds in two different dimensions.  Eternia, home of He-Man and Skeletor, is the world we're most familiar with.

King Randor and Queen Marlena had twins they named Adam and Adora during an attempted invasion by the intergalactic Horde.  The Horde's forces were led by Hordak.  Hordak kidnapped infant Adora.  Man-at-Arms captured Hordak's student (and Randor's half-brother) Skeletor.  Skeletor ratted out Hordak and told Man-at-Arms where to find him. Before Man-at-Arms could rescue Adora, Hordak escaped through a dimensional portal to Etheria.

Years later, Hordak had managed to take over Etheria and Adora had become a Force Captain in his army.  The Sorceress begins having dreams about the events during the Horde invasion and wakes to find the Sword of Protection floating above her.  She follows the sword through Grayskull to a new portal.  The Sorceress summons He-Man to take the Sword of Protection through the portal and seek out its owner.  He-Man travels to Etheria, gets captured, meets Adora (they have no idea they're related), and decides to give her the sword.

The sword allows Adora to break free of Shadow Weaver's mind control, and she learns about her past from a spiritual projection of the Sorceress.  She becomes She-Ra for the first time.  She frees He-Man, He-Man starts breaking Hordak's toys, She-Ra jumps on Spriit, turning him into Swift Wind, and flies off to warn the Rebellion that Hordak is coming.  When She-Ra returns to help He-Man finish breaking Hordak's toys, she tells him they're twins.  Mic drop.

They summon the Sorceress's spirit through the Sword of Protection and get the whole story about what happened when they were infants.  Emotional reunion.  He-Man and She-Ra free the Queen, and their work here on Etheria apparently being finished, they return to Eternia for a big family reunion.  Hordak (sneaky bastard) sees them go through the portal and follows.

The royal family throws a party.  Hordak and Skeletor crash the party and kidnap Adora (again).  She tricks Beast Man into giving her sword back and defeats Skeletor.  Hordak turns tail and flees back to Etheria.  Adora tells her parents the she has to return to free Etheria from Horde oppression.  Crying ensues.  Adora returns home.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »
And Teela fits into all that by being the Sorceress's daughter, though she's not aware of it.  She thinks she's Duncan's (aka Man-At-Arms) daughter.

Evil-Lyn, to round out the main cast, is in most accounts an Earth woman, a scientist named Evelyn Morgan Powers, whose scientific skills translated to sorcerous powers on Eternia, and her jealousy of Marlena led her to join Skeletor.

(Queen Marlena was originally an astronaut from Earth, with Evelyn as a member of her crew. When their ship crashed, they couldn't get back to Earth, and neither really tried all that hard: one found romance, one found power)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
Wow!

That is so much info (who knew lol) I re-read it like 5 times just to get warmed up.

Why isn't Hordak Master of the Universe?? He sounds next level.
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 09:09:05 AM »
Hordak and Skeletor are probably both just incarnations of Kang, anyway.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 03:33:02 PM »
Wow!

That is so much info (who knew lol) I re-read it like 5 times just to get warmed up.

Why isn't Hordak Master of the Universe?? He sounds next level.

Hordak and the Evil Horde were originally part of the He-Man toy line, but the He-Man cartoon ended before they had a chance to introduce him, so they made the Horde the main villains of the She-Ra cartoon instead and incorporated She-Ra's villains into it.

The only villains that were part of the original She-Ra toy line were Catra and Entraptra (and Entraptra only appeared in a handful of episodes, unlike her modern equivalent Entrapta). Scorpia was created for the show and had no toy equivalent.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »
I just keep thinking that I want more Hordak. I mean, if Skeletor is just the student.. What must Hordak be like.

........."Your dad fought off Skeletor and the evil hordes with He-Man and his mandoll friends. Now YOU face SKELETOR'S DADDY... He's All-New *and* All-OG .... Hordak.

And then I think... how in the world do you guys know so much about He-Man.. Actually that's the first thought.

Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 12:57:04 AM »
For what it's worth, Hordak serves another master.  He is a clone of Horde Prime.

I honestly wasn't that big of a fan of He-Man as a kid, but we had a very limited number of channels to pick from at the time, so I watched every episode several times over.  And those were elementary school years, so I had a LOT of room available for storing story lore.  I have similar amounts of Transformers, Voltron, and Thundercats lore crammed into my head.  :D
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
Well don't get me wrong it's total respect on the He-Man knowledge. I'm sitting here going, yeah, I remember he was blonde and had a bad haircut... And you guys know his barber's name and where he learned to cut hair.

I think it's great you know that stuff. I wish I wouldn't have forgotten so much from comics. When my collection got stolen I just didn't wanna think about it and I never bought another comic and now I wish I could remember more of those great stories and characters.

For what it's worth, Hordak serves another master.  He is a clone of Horde Prime.

Wow. So Skeletor moves down another peg. This all seems like unmined gold.
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
Part 2 is up and it's been a wild ride so far. 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 02:33:09 AM »
Yeah, huh!

They picked up that part 1 big finish and biggered it. Superbly, masterfully done.

Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 05:12:28 AM »
Yeah, the second part was just awesome.  And the ending makes me hope we get another season.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2024, 09:26:42 PM »
Yeah, the second part was just awesome.  And the ending makes me hope we get another season.

Wish, Granted!

Go-go He-Man: Revolution!

I only watched original He-Man way back when, when, there was just nothing else to watch, and, I didn't really get into it, so, I don't know He-Man canon other than the awful haircut and big muscles and sword and Skeletor.

Netflix seems to change He-Man canon with every new production which is something I normally really don't like... but.. it seems to work really well, every time. Probably at least in part due to I never knew original He-Man canon.

Back in the Star Wars days I didn't really like Mark Hamill but he has definitely grown on me! He's good in The Machine currently playing on Netflix, too.

I really like HM: Revolution! Great stories, great characters, and once again, great art.

Never thought I'd be praising He-Man! Been making a habit of it lately... 3 Netflix hits in a row.
Some Faves: