Author Topic: Tahquitz  (Read 2908 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Tahquitz
« on: May 29, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »
Who or what is a Tahquitz? How do you say it?

Tahquitz (pronounced TAH-KWITS) is the name of a powerful shaman that was banished from the Cahuilla Indian tribe, a Native American group from the desert. The legend goes that Mukat, creator of all things, created Tahquitz as the first and most powerful shaman to do good for humanity. Over time, Tahquitz misbehaved more and more, until finally he was banished from the tribe.

He was sent into exile in a nearby canyon nestled in the San Jacinto mountains, now called Tahquitz Canyon, which is where Tahquitz rock is located. The spirit of Tahquitz is said to be responsible for rock fall, thunder, storms, floods, and just plain bad luck.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Tahquitz
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
Yeah, so?  I got out.  And my luck is my own business!
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Korbian

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »
I think it's actually pronounced TAH-kwish.  But for our purposes here it sounds like TAH-keetz.  Also, don't squeeze the shaman.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 12:31:24 AM »
I think it's actually pronounced TAH-kwish.  But for our purposes here it sounds like TAH-keetz.  Also, don't squeeze the shaman.

Heh, in my head I've always abbreviated it to Tahz. :p
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
Dangit I haven't been getting forum post updates! (problem on my end.)

And my luck is my own business!

lol

Also, don't squeeze the shaman.

When I was a kid I read this book that I have in my head as The Way of the Shaman that tried to walk me through a spirit walk. Kinda like that thing Dr. Strange can do. Don't know why I gave up after the first attempts other than I didn't have a very good self made drumbeat recording (made with spatula rhythmically smacking a bowl as was suggested in the book if you didn't have a drum) and my tech kinda sucked. My tape recorder sucked down those D cells. I was a little worried I'd get there and my batteries would die and I wouldn't get back.

There's lots of really great native American literature as I remember. I was into that and mythology and comics for reading and I read a lot sitting behind a register as a kid. Pretty great stories if you get the right books. I never got as good mythology books as my dad uncharacteristically got from a door to door salesman along with an encyclopedia and some bookshelves.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:02:25 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>