Author Topic: Some Netflix Saturday Morning Cartoons  (Read 6471 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Some Netflix Saturday Morning Cartoons
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
I have no way of knowing if you have Netflix or not but that is how I found these lil gems and am passing them on.

First is an oldie that didn't come up on a forum search and now it will: (2011) Marvel Anime: Wolverine. This just showed up on Netflix (again I would imagine) and the first half of its single short season was a worthy Saturday morning thing to view this morning and I plan to spend another Saturday morning finishing it off.

Next (I was surprised to notice just now..) is actually newish. Transformers: War for Cybertron: Siege. Also very entertaining and a lil short on episodes and maybe you actually haven't seen it already hehe.

So anyway, there ya go. My picks for Comics AND other media for the day.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Some Netflix Saturday Morning Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
I started the Transformers thing but didn't finish it.

The Wolverine thing was advertised to me by Netflix's idle slideshow, but when I searched for it it didn't show up yet.  Then I got distracted by a free month of Disney+ and the prospect of catching The Mandolorian and maybe Ducktales.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
I started the Transformers thing but didn't finish it.

For whatever reason I never watched much Transformers and I think I started off playing this Transformers thing on Netflix for background noise but then I was a little drawn in by the art and story (Robot Mysticism.. good good guys and good bad bad guys) and ended up watching the whole thing. I enjoyed it!  : )  Definitely way better than anything else named Transformers on Netflix that I looked up afterwards.

The Wolverine thing

This is kinda weird. I know about as much about Anime (fancy name for (Japanese?) cartoon?) as I do Transformers but I get the feeling they toned down the blood spraying/ultra-violence/over-the-topness, and, tried to remain faithful to the kinda Wolverine cartoon/comic I'd enjoy. It still feels Wolveriny. I mean, it's different but not too? The art is really good and I like the story and action so far.

I just noticed there is another Marvel Anime thing called Marvel Anime: X-Men on Netflix too. Haven't watched any of it yet but tossed it in the list.

Ducktales.

hehehe
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
Xmen anime was pretty good as well. there were also blade and iron man series around the same time but i have no idea if they're on netflix. all were decent iirc with a similar familiar but different vibe as you described.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »
It looks like they've had the Iron Man one before due to the exact name came up on "Suggestions" but they didn't have the actual video. Maybe they'll rotate it back in. I'd watch it!
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
I thought I'd like the X-Men cartoon err anime better than the Wolverine one due to it has the whole crew, and, Wolverine looks more Wolveriny, but, so far (only a few episodes in), I have to say I like the all-Wolverine 'Marvel Anime' better. The characters are way richer, story more engaging. It has style. I like how they drew Cyclops in his brief appearance too.

X-Men has good eye candy, and, it's the X-Men.. so that right there makes it watchable. It hasn't grabbed me like Wolverine did yet though.
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 10:37:43 PM »
I just started chapter two of Transformers: War for Cybertron (Earthrise) today.  I found the first chapter (Siege) quite entertaining, so I've been looking forward to this.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 04:21:42 AM »
Went to look up that title on Netflix and a preview of it started playing when I logged in. Ha! Sweet. Yeah I'll be watching it too.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:49 AM »
Marvel Anime: X-Men was a slow starter but it picked up and had moments where it was nearly as good as Marvel Anime: Wolverine. It was worth watching. The most noteworthy thing to me beyond the artists' attention to the female form has to be their portrayal of Beast, who, although I like his character/concept, i always remember him being just kinda .... boring. In this, I thought Beast was done better than average.

Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
Ran out of DuckTales, which was fantastic but annoyingly ended with a cliffhanger.  Started on that Wolverine anime after getting bored partway through the first episode of the new season of Sabrina.  The intro gave the hilarious impression that Wolverine has an improbable number of hands.  The subs and dubs frequently conflict.  Wolverine is too tall and pretty.  But the action is pretty good, and the story is alright so far.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 05:44:27 PM »
Ran out of DuckTales, which was fantastic but annoyingly ended with a cliffhanger. 

I don't know which part of this sentence made me laugh more..

getting bored partway through the first episode of the new season of Sabrina. 

IMPOSSIBLE.

lol..

I'm just teasing, no offense, but it did surprise me and does strike me funny you're a Ducktales and Sabrina fan. I halfway thought you were joking about the Ducktales thing from the start of this thread. I mean, even as a young kid, those would be too kiddy for me. Ducktales is funny and Sabrina is cool, and if they were on a screen at a gathering with kids or in a hospital waiting room or something I'd watch them and probably enjoy them, but, umm.. yeah.. hehe.

*whistle*

Wolverine is too tall and pretty.

Yeah. Oh there are many contradictions. I think it really helps if you can call on your suspension of disbelief and just go with things as they are and view the thing for what it is - a better than average cartoon. I came to appreciate how they stayed true to the basics of the X-Men/Wolverine 'legend' but freely interpreted things into something their own that still felt based in X-Men/Wolverine/Marvel lore.

The subs and dubs frequently conflict. 

Reeeeally.. Now how did I miss that.

But the action is pretty good, and the story is alright so far.

Now you're speaking my language. The art is good too. I hope I don't ruin anything if you haven't gotten this far yet but - Spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Omega effing Red is over the top..lol.

I should never talk about shows people haven't finished watching like I just did. We did that here with Space Force once with me being the one that hadn't seen them all and it kinda ruined it for me there for awhile due to I started being all critical when I watched it instead of just laughing. I went back later and watched the same episodes and.. laughed.
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 05:35:28 AM »
Sabrina is definitely not a kids show.  The old sitcom version was more appropriate in that regard.

But I do watch a number of shows targeted at younger viewers.  DuckTales, MLP, Hilda, Batman TAS...  I'm not vain enough to worry about whether something is "kiddy" or "girly" or anything like that.  If I enjoy it, I enjoy it.

The Omega Red fight was pretty good, and it was nice how they worked in some backstory.  On the burning ship, I was amused by the visually telegraphed use of the Backdraft effect.  The dub just said something like 'are they gonna fight all night' but the subs explained the explosive rush of air and directly called it the Backdraft phenomenon.

I keep meaning to look and see if that Kikyo is Silver Samurai...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 03:22:13 AM »
Sabrina is definitely not a kids show.

For some reason I had it in my head that Sabrina was a very young girls thing... I stand corrected!

I'm not vain enough to worry about whether something is "kiddy" or "girly" or anything like that. 

Well me either, obviously hehe. Point taken. Titan is a good place for people like us. Grown people still watching cartoons and reading comics. I dunno why it struck me funny it just did. Ducktales and cliffhanger in the same sentence..

Ah well, I dunno. My bad! It's not funny anymore. I just noticed that the Transformers stuff I've been watching recently is rated TV-Y7 and I wouldn't have called it a kiddy cartoon so whadda I know.

The Omega Red fight was pretty good, and it was nice how they worked in some backstory. 

Fight(s). I was struck by how obsessed he was. I mean he just keeps coming back no matter what they have to do to him. At one point, I'm like, even if you do win... then what? You'll still be you.. A really messed up dude. He was truly dedicated to his task..! You have to give him an A for effort.. I kinda felt sorry for him.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 07:15:09 PM »
Sabrina is definitely not a kids show.

Lordy.. I watched some of this yesterday. You are correct.

Started on that Wolverine anime after getting bored partway through the first episode of the new season of Sabrina. 

Bored wouldn't be the word I would use. I don't have a word, exactly, but, after getting ~ 14 minutes in, it kinda felt like.... I thought I might have lost my keys in the bottom of a large trash bucket and was trying to fish them out..
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
I find it funny that the X-Men anime has the better Wolverine design, whereas the Wolverine anime had a better Cyclops design. 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
Ikr!

I thought I'd like the X-Men one better due to it had the whole team and the characters had a more traditional look but I came away feeling like the Wolverine one tried to adapt our legend into another culture whereas the X-Men one felt more like adapting our legend into cash - it just didn't seem to have the same heart.

They're both nicely done but I was more engaged by Wolverine. Coulda just been my moods at the time.
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 05:57:33 AM »
I dunno, but the gulf between subs and dubs for X-Men is even more amusing.  Early on the mad cyberdoc is attacking and in the dub he's using full, coherent sentences, while in the subs he just keeps shouting "organs".  Or there's the moment when someone asks Scott if it's okay that someone will be joining them on the Blackbird and in the dub he says "sure" but the sub says "no."

So far I'm enjoying it more than Wolverine.  The only thing I don't like is the cat version of Beast.  I didn't like it in the comics, either.  At some point I need to finish The Mandalorian and start the new season of Cobra Kai, but it looks like the new season of Disenchanted is coming soon.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »

So far I'm enjoying it more than Wolverine.

I sat down and watched Wolverine while X-Men mostly played in the background when I watched it, sooo, that's why I have to give X-Men a handicap when judging it. It did seem to pick up after the first episodes. It just never grabbed me the same.

The only thing I don't like is the cat version of Beast. 

So pretty much you are opposite on which toon interests you more, and, the one character I thought stood out in the one that interested me less, was the only thing you didn't like.

We should do a show!

I vaguely remember there being 2 Beasts now that you mention it.. See, my thing with Beast as a kid was, I liked his concept, but, whatever he could do, someone else in the team could do better.. So he was kinda boring.. That's all I remembered about Beast. Then when I watched this X-Men I thought they did a good job of not making him a background character. Which is like saying they did an above average job with him.

I like him on his own as a concept but they could lose Beast altogether and I'd probably forget he was even in the team.

At some point I need to finish The Mandalorian and start the new season of Cobra Kai, but it looks like the new season of Disenchanted is coming soon.

There must be new episodes of Lost in Space coming soon too assuming they didn't already cancel that very nicely done show.
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »
As far as I'm aware, there were three versions of Beast.  Originally, he looked more human with just a stocky, muscular physique and really big feet.  Then there's the regular blue furred version that showed up in the 90s X-Men cartoon.  Then at some point he mutated a bit more in the comic, getting that lion-like head (he may have also gotten digitigrade legs and a tail).

There may have also been a grey furred version, but that might not have actually been Beast or perhaps was a Beast from a parallel Earth?  Like Linkara always says: comic books are weird.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:11 PM »
human and blue furry are the main. the grey was just in his early furry appearances. he was pretty consistent once going blue up until astonishing x-men when he goes more feline. after that it was open season and starts to depend on the artist. they do tend to have Dark Beast (from the Age of Apocalypse timeline) be more toward the grey but not always. but yeah, comic books are weird, x-men doubly so.