Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 52667 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Neverwinter
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
Now here is something that is definitely different between the Cryptic 3.. The in-game Zen trade is apparently broken due to being flooded Astral Diamond traders. There's already millions of Zen being requested at the maximum allowed rate of trade - 1 Zen to 750 Astral Diamonds.

I wonder how long its been broken? Was the mod 16 thing *that* bad? Or are Astrals just that easy to get. They aren't that hard to get at all even for a newbie.

Anyway, I finally got around to checking out the market with my newb and that's what I found:

https://app.box.com/s/fazjtbroxj88jio5v2tftnb71d2rcz02 (screenie)

You can't sell Astrals there. The line is apparently too long.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 10:36:53 PM »
PWE/Cryptic always seems to get a bad rap when it comes to customer service. I've not had to deal with customer service much but I have at least twice. Both times I can remember, they were fast, friendly, helpful, and generous.

I know I had some issue with CO once back when my account was newish but I can't remember it now I just remember it turning out good.

Anyway, a few years ago in STO, I had a 5000 or so Zen purchase that I was pretty unhappy with due to I didn't get what I thought I was getting due to how the thing I was buying was worded (they word differently now). Not only were they fast to respond to my in-game trouble ticket but when they understood what I told them, they promptly offered to give me a full refund while letting me keep part of the package in question (an entire ship..? I forget. I know I got a large, expensive XP booster at the lease). They were so surprisingly nice about the whole thing I just said screw it and went ahead and bought what I was complaining about even though they had already offered me a full refund.

Today I had a problem charging up the ol' Zen (which I can't do nearly as often as I would like..) and so I hit online Chat on a Sunday and in minutes they very friendly and helpfully sorted out my problem (that was probably caused by me never entering in Personal Info into my Account for whatever reason I don't do it..) and then, when I logged in not only was my Zen there but the very thing that I wanted to buy first - a shiny new Character Slot. How cool is that...?

I think it really helps to not treat them crappy and just be straightforward and explain your valid concerns when asking for help. I've heard of people having problems with PWI/Cryptic support and I wonder if this is why they had problems. I have gotten the impression that they respond really poorly to that. Other than that, I think you just need to have a valid issue and you'll get what you want in the end.

They would probably rather have more money from me than good press, but, that's about all I can give'em at the moment.

I used to frequent a place that let me hang out for free, all the time, when I was broke young man working in retail Software sales. They were just that cool. I would go to leave when my money ran out and they would very often ask me to stay and would make sure I didn't go thirsty. When I got my first and nearly last big IT job it wasn't uncommon that I'd drop a thousand bucks in there in a night. Sometimes I'd come back the next night and do it again. Hang in there PWE/Cryptic : ) And thanks for all the free drinks when my money runs out.
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 12:35:11 AM »
I think it really helps to not treat them crappy and just be straightforward and explain your valid concerns when asking for help. I've heard of people having problems with PWI/Cryptic support and I wonder if this is why they had problems. I have gotten the impression that they respond really poorly to that. Other than that, I think you just need to have a valid issue and you'll get what you want in the end.

The approaches of "Fault-Based Support" vs. "Solution-Based Support."  The Fault-Based approach is centered around "what do I get because I've been wronged by you?"  The other one is centered around "what can you do for me to fix the problem?"  If the problem ultimately gets fixed and doesn't recur, does trinkets and freebies really matter?  Of course, there are situations where you shift between one or the other based on the issue considered.  (Recurring problems that haven't been fixed, issues where the business shows negligence and doesn't care, or when you pay money and don't get what was promised.  Then fault-based perspectives are easier to justify.) 

But treating every single exchange you have with businesses from a fault-based perspective is expecting too much at times.  A botched password reset or broken mission isn't the same severity as a character being wiped off the server by accident or a data breach exposing your billing info.  A lot of players forget that in talking to support staff.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »
Here's another distinction between the Cryptic 3. I would bet you that the most female players play Neverwinter. I bet you that a not super close second would be Champions Online and Star Trek Online is way last.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
Rogue is my current favorite toon. "I'm a natural" was my battle cry yesterday. I picked a tall slim(ish..) Half-Orc after having a short squatty Dorf Paladin (that looks good riding a tiger, unlike the taller races, which, of course is cool, because, well, who doesn't want to look good riding a tiger). Critical Severity (one of their Racials) isn't a common stat on gear (I've not seen it once yet) is mostly why I picked him and a half orc swinging and throwing bladed weapons seems to work RPwise.

Wizard is the next toon I want to try. They get that shield and an extra Encounter slot which could be gold, and, they get a similar evasion ability as Warlocks that I've grown to like a lot. Well, and, they look similar to playing a Warlock except with better deeps.

Warlock is on the shelf unless I want to play him in the big(ger) kid queues as a healer. He's just good enough at it to make it fun and worthwhile but really, I made him for Deeps, soo, yeah...shelf, mostly.

Fighter Tanks look worthy, too, will be trying one of those, eventually.

Fun stuff.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
I'm not on *my* PC lately but I've still been logging in and got a free wolf Mount that my Halfer Wizard is riding. Dorfs look good on tigers - wood elves are too tall for them, mine rides a horse. I'm also playing a half-orc on a horse. All of my mounts have/have been given Rare(?) movement (the 80% speed boost).

My new favorite toon is tied between rogue and wizard. I've not tried a fighter or barbarian yet but plan to. So far all classes are fun in their own way and I plan to level them all.

So, yeah, free account bound wolf Mounts are still available I think, and, a free vanity pet that is character bound.

Hope all j0r Holidays are good.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »
So, I decided to play around with the graphics settings and it turned out so well I just had to post about it.

Graphics/Sliders to Max

then

Graphics/Post Processing:OFF

Display/Brightness/adjust to what looks best
Display/Antialiasing/pick what looks best (msaa - 8x seems to be for me)

Wow it's a whole new game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:13:46 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »
Soooooooo.... Without a guild, I finally broke 18k in gear on 2 toons. 18k.. It took 20k to even be able to engage in my first Server Event and it takes 20k to do any new content..

I'm playing Rogue, playing Warlock. I can get similar DPS in several builds on both for variety and they're both fun. Warlocks got some luv in mod 18 but my Rogue still outdeeps I think and I'm still playing him most.

I'm trying to get the hang of playing a Paladin Tank. A Paladin Healer has been easier in the queues but I switch to tank when they give a Class bonus for it.

Playing mostly the Rogue for now, though. I guess I need to start Golding things out, and raising Enchantment levels, to get my gear level up from this point due to most of my gear is already purple and level 1kish and I'm using ME Artifacts in pri/sec. I think I read that joining a guild adds ~2k to your gear lvl total. I should join one anyway but can't seem to choose a guild tag. Ancient Warriors.. Carpe Nocte.. and.. err.. I forget who else are names I considered. <Under the Influence>... and whoever else ... *shrug* they are all currently recruiting (and the Interface tells me when Recruiters are Online so I just have to click on them to send a Tell!) but I can't decide.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 11:29:47 PM »
Master Expeditions..

I'm not sure why people run so many of these. I mean, yeah, there's some nice drops, but, mostly they aren't any better than what you can get with Seals of the Deep from running Randoms and it didn't take me long to get the ME drops I wanted.

*shrug*

I like hanging out in Yawning Portal, though, and I do use ME artifact primary and secondary gear and a couple of other pieces. Maybe I'm missing something.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »
Healer is still the most rewarding way to play my Warlock as far team contributions go. I struggle with a Hellbringer because it's fun and then I switch to Scourge when a team needs a few heals and I become twice as effective with half the effort.

After dumping all my Paragon Encounter powers (level 34-80?) as a Hellbringer Warlock.. I seemed to be hitting the skirmish kill/dps scoreboards closer to what I get as a Rogue. I was happy to put in a more respectable contribution, but, it just doesn't feel right dumping all non-newb Encounter powers to do it.

Encounter Powers seem to be what I gravitate to. If I'm not using one I'm waiting to use one. Daily Powers are nice to save for a big/end boss or burn when things get too crowded. I haven't figured a way to get mine to pop very often. At-Will Powers are... what you use when you don't get to use a Daily or Encounter power or when you want to build something up (yawn).

Thing is, I feel like I'm always waiting around for an Encounter power to pop which leads to a feeling of not having enough Powers which leads to combat feeling a little boring. Finding out I do as much deeps with my newb Encounter powers as all the fancy Paragon ones has also been underwhelming.

To sum up: *shrug*

: )

I see people doing ~ 6x my deeps on the scoreboards so I know I still have more about the game to discover.

I think one of my favorite things about Neverwinter Combat is Movement. Warlocks have my favorite movement ability. Rogues are good. Wizards too. Block, I'm sure is very handy for tanking and building up Divinity for Paladins, but, has been ... less exciting.

As a Warlock, for example, it's pretty cool to be able to go near invul as I run circles around whatever I need to whenever I have enough Stamina to do so. It's like being able to hit Block in Champions Online and outmaneuver AoE and outrun mobs at the same time. Then Encounter Powers repop, I plant my feet and let loose - rinse, repeat.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
I can never make a satisfying Warlock Hellbringer (dps) build even after Mod 18.. Warlock Scourge (heals) can put out enough deeps to solo just as effectively as a Hellbringer and adds a significant amount of heals to a team with the exact same build.

I think what it boils down to, in the pre-20k game, is.. nearly every Encounter power is too weak. There's plenty of Useful Encounter powers and synergy and all that but they just don't have enough punch.

With more punch I bet I could make a satisfying Hellbringer build or two.. Hummm. Maybe they're just really late bloomers..
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 07:26:23 PM »
Warlock/Hellbringer/Infernal Spheres.

My first low level newb had the same prob I have when I tried to use it today. It'll work fine for awhile and then eventually it always, always, ..sticks. When it sticks, you can't make the Spheres Explode, they are perma-activated until the power gets swapped out, which, makes the power useless for my purposes. So then I have to fumble around with swapping it out or dealing with it not working.

I like it due to its got a fast recharge and is (pb)aoe. It's enough damage to go Boon hunting with and one-shot small groups of minions. Maybe enough to even go in public with. But then it bugs out right in the middle of things. And. Argh. So then I stop using it again for awhile. Rinse. Repeat. It never gets fixed.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 04:33:23 PM »
I'm starting to think that maybe... I just suck at this game. I do OK.... but.. I feel like I should be doing better by now. I feel like I play NW like...an... average player...  /sadface
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »
Bam! 20k+ (gear level) on 2 toons, Baby! Rogue and Warlock. Warlock barely squeaked by (20,006) after getting some minor Mount Insignia upgrades. Both are now in a lvl 20 Guild.

Got my first uber loot recently from a Random (Skirmish?). None other than Sergeant Knox, himself, dropped, and is now my Warlock's Companion.

I still kinda suck at this game but I keep sticking with it for some reason. Had to finally get that 20k gear level. Still have newbs to make is one reason. Want to level at least 2 more toons. Maybe 3. Wizard, Paladin (have both at lvl 40+) and maybe a Fighter. Have to finally see some of that 20k+ content, too..
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 04:42:35 PM »
In case anyone stops by in time....

Is there any decent Guild Gear? What should I be spending my Guild Marks on? I finally joined a guild. So far, the only advice I've gotten is to get Wards, which, I've never even used but I think I know what they are.

SometimesUsually, when I get into Random Trials/Epic Dungeons and (as is very often the case) we fail hard and someone is calling everyone idiots... I ask myself aloud "why do I still play this game". "I could be playing STO and wiping up the map. I could be the one on the top of the dps charts (in Randoms..)." Instead I'm getting my @ss handed to me while someone calls me (and usually rightfully so because I dunno what I'm doing) an Idiot.

*shrug*

Welp, gotta go log in.. lol
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »
I finally graduated to Avernus.. Which, can be a kinda annoying zone to run through if you don't have a fast mount. But.. It does speed up collection of Seals of the Fallen. Now I have to figure out how to get Lion's Guard (endgame?) gear... I dunno where the components drop. Maybe, farther up the Campaign Flowchart.. I dunno. I just now figured out Vallenhas.

Anyway, yay. I found out how to make my Rogue way more survivable. I just had to drop any good DPS Encounter Power. Is what it felt like. And it worked. I definitely don't want to use that same build for all content. I definitely don't need survivability as a priority in normal dungeons and probably even in Skirmishes - better to go for the deeps, to keep things rolling.

I guess I don't need to make the top of the dps charts. I don't in STO, either, but, I do well enough that I rarely get my @ss handed to me. I'm getting closer to that in NW finally. Should be farming Boons more but I get burnt out on it. Otherwise, I finally seem to be on the right track. The Guild really did help make that final push, too, into big kids zones and pants.

I have no idea how to farm the latest Event btw but I could use some stuff from it.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:52 AM »
I have never seen a game that patches so often without patch notes!

"hey, why did my build get reset"

NWO thought of the day..
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
Wow, if you play the game at all or plan to again someday... log in today and go to the Home screen/tab and hit Claim Valuables..

It seems to be a very very good time to make a newb, too.

~~~~

List of (very nice) free goodies:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11398533
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:52:08 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
And the fight for shut-ins attention continues....

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11401363-legendary-mount-bundle%21

From what I can gather this is a first. It really made a lot of smiles, yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops, can't mention goodies without this:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11399593

(A free bag of expensive hugeness)

That free bag is kinda a big deal in Neverwinter.

Lootwise, playing STO for awhile and then playing NW for awhile, really makes you re-appreciate how STO does their loot.. And Events, as far as that goes. It's way, way easier to have Alts in STO. Sharing is way easier in STO than any other Cryptic game but yet they manage to have the best economy.

They do weird magic in STO. My toons got so much more uber with things like Endeavors but yet the game manages to feel ~ the same. They give away more and make sharing between toons easier than any other Cryptic game and yet have the strongest economy - it was super duper strong until recent times. I don't think STO has any more players than NW, either. I think NW may even have a few more.

While I'm here I have to share that I finally stopped asking myself why I play this game. I used to do that.. often. Usually at the end or in more difficult parts of a queue. "Why do I still play this game..." Which was often followed by "I suck at it." But I liked being *in* Neverwinter.. and I liked my toons. Things are finally beginning to gel, now, though. A deeper fun ensues. I *luv* my new tank and can't play it enough (level 40+ atm) even though I just kitted out my 2 mains with all, ok a lot of.., the good stuff.

Neverwinter sure could learn from Star Trek Online when it comes to playing Alts, though. (As could MMO scientists). Man, people were doing flips in NW yesterday at even the prospect of getting Account Bound (anything?) Legendary Mounts (not just anything).

Don't forget to log in and get your free 42 slot(!) bag! That's like gold in NW.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:09:57 PM by Xev »
Some Faves: