Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 52620 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Neverwinter
« on: October 23, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
Well... finally, I was able to download Neverwinter (yahoo) and I have to ask...

Who're the uberest deeps toons?

Any tips on my first entry into the Character Creator...?

I've really been looking forward to trying Neverwinter ever since... it came out. I've got a history with this title as well as just really liking this type of game.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
Re: Neverwinter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »
I decided to try a wood elf necro.. ? I'm far from a D&D expert but still.. I had no idea there were such things.

P.S.
Shooter Mode is making my head hurt. Kinda like a hard to read book.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
I read something once about someone struggling with NWO shooter mode and then getting used to it and I've done the same. It's even been semi-addictive. Basically they've just removed manual targeting that caaaan be aggravating to get to work sometimes in other Cryptic games. And they made me make a hotkey to enable my curser to click on HUD elements and train my brain when to use it.

The honeymoon of effortlessly moving through waves of mobs ended ~ level 12 and I Finally ran into my first tough boss fight. It was worthy.

Looks like we get 2 free slots to start the game out with. My natureboy necro has been a good pick so far. I played a necro for some years as my main, so, yeah. I get the theme. Kinde odd to play one as a wood elf but I'm getting used to it and the rest of the game.

It looks kinda like they stole some of the Champions Online artists in this game. I don't see any STO resemblance. Was kinda surprised that the graphics don't really seem any better than STO due to NWO is a few years newer. If anything, STO may be pulling slightly ahead with their new efforts. Then again, I'm just seeing newb zone stuff so far, soooo, we'll see.

Big fun so far and I'm looking forward to playing more and to making a melee. I'm kinda a switcher... I like to have a main game and a backup game and I take breaks from the main game occasionally. Freakin' STO is a farm fest right now.. I mean, they have us punching a timeclock and on a schedule.. Don't get me wrong, it's a great time to play STO, but, for me, it's also a great time to take a little break, and, so far, NWO looks to be a good diversion.. from my main diversion.

~~~

Bonus: STO and CO are down for weekly stuff, and.... NWO is Up. Cool.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:15:41 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
The reason why most of the art looks familiar is do to the fact that most of the devs that weren't taken from sto were taken to neverwinter.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »
STO art doesn't look anything like CO or NWO, is the thing. I can see *some* CO art style already in NWO, though. Like when a boss stands there looking a little bit comic bookey and is pounding his palm with his fist until you get into agro range - that's all CO.

At 3 years newer, NWO is way easier on my video card than STO (the fan won't even spin up half the time as I recall..) too, as is CO, and it goes for a fantasy look rather than realism, like CO.

In STO my video card starts a slow bake just sitting at the Character Select Screen and they are always going for realism in their depiction of space ships and lasers phasers.. and Humans and whatnot..

NWO is being pretty fun so far like I hoped it would be. I can see myself levelling at least 1 or 2 toons.

~~~~

Hey! I'll take any newb tips, btw.. Like what's the best stats to go for or anything else. My warlock/necro is going for Con/Int/Dex so far and I think I never saw him crit.

On the Wiki, it basically says that the Racial boosts for Dwarves are broken/don't exist. Otherwise I think I'd probably go Dwarf/(some kinda) Fighter next but instead I'll probably go Half Orc or Wood Elf.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:38:13 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
I know the dev swiping thing was a thing in the CO forum for awhile but I am just not seeing the CO in STO when I go back to play it. I can see CO allllll over Neverwinter already.

One thing that Neverwinter and STO doooo seem to have in common, is, a longer learning curve. CO is more of an easy to learn, difficult to master kinda game.

Looking forward to learning more Neverwinter. My 1 toon's still only level 27ish so I dunno anything. I'm thinking to start hitting the queues with him. I want to make a melee, too. Chose Alchemy as a starter Profession but haven't done much with it yet.

I thought I was kinda gearing my toon up by doing nothing but mishes but then the last time I played I was at a merchant and he was selling gear about as good as mine for.. like.. 10 silver and some copper.. At which point I figured, hey, lets hit some queues soon and see what else's out there.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:10:11 PM »
I finally figured out what Gold is good for....

Gold is good for buying Tradeskill stuff that you can sell to other players for Astral Diamonds, sooooo, that you can buy things from other players with Astral Diamonds...the only currency accepted by the Auction House.. who also charges a 10% posting fee.... of Astral Diamonds (a currency you cannot loot from mobs or mishes)..

Cryptic and their currencies..

They are many and varied and never work quite the same from game to game. So far Neverwinter seems to have taken the largest departure from the CO (the first game of their current trio) formula.

CO appears to be the game of the 3 with broken the least robust Tradeskilling. *shrug* I like tradeskilling. Sometimes more than others. It's especially nice when you can take what you earned from fighting to make something nice which is highly useable/sellable, which, appears to be at least partly how it works in Neverwinter so far.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
My first Catch Up Weekend..

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11293713

And do I have plenty of Catching Up to do...

Man I curse myself for dumping my Blacksmith yesterday and then finding out I could have used him to get my Tailor started so I could.... at least make myself some dang pants and a shirt. 28 levels of fancy quest gear and I'm still in my thermals.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 05:50:44 AM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:05:22 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »
So.

I've teamed a few dozen or more times now and I have to ask.. how respected is Warlock deeps? I've put so much effort into Tradeskilling, with this guy, that I'm gonna end up levelling him just due to that.. but.. I have to ask... How do they rate?

Thing is, I don't feel that deepsy and I barely feel necroey. The 1 and only lifetap that I see myself getting (the one you start the game with) is super weak. Unless.. Unless there is some pr0h way to boost the poo out of it, then I have to rate it as a suck at this point.

So now what is necroey? The Soul Puppet. Hmmmm. Well. Ok. I mean, I can get enough bonus damage from it, eventually, to make it worthwhile to try and keep it perma'd but that's about all I see at this point.

The rest of it is just stuff with the name Hell tossed in... Nothing really necroey working, just necroey sounding, and, if Warlocks aren't Necros then what are they?

As for the deeps.. I have the best combo put together I can see and I have tried several others in many random queues, and, it comes close to being good deepswise (and is mostly AoE) but it just doesn't feel.... respectable.

*sigh*

I think I'm gonna make a Roque next... Or a Wizard. Warlocks don't seem to have anything outside of deeps that is all that special (they aren't the necros I'd hoped they'd be) and I guess their deeps does seem respectable.. but barely.

Feel free to tell me that Warlocks are super awesome endgamers and I just need to wait for mine to blossom.

~~

Btw all the parsers are great.. My lvl 57 warlock just outdeepsed a lvl 80 warlock by ~ 20% wuwu. It *is* my first week ever of play ya know.. I want to like this guy it's just that he has no dots... no decent lifetaps... the pet is underwhelming.. it's like.. what's his niche?

His aoe is semi decent but I have to imagine a wizard's being better. I dunno what my niche is.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:42:35 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
Maybe I'm not as good at math as I thought.

Sooooo this is our crit chance... 0.01*((((playerLevel)^0.6925)+6)*(criticalStrike/9977.011)^1)

Wth is.... "^"  ??

~~~~~~~~

For anyone keeping score... I ran across something fairly recent from the horse's mouth that helps make a lot more sense out of Critical Strike and Critical Avoidance (a new to me stat)..

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11093193-developer-blog:-stats-&-mechanics

Sooo according to this.. I currently have ~ > max crit chance (I'm already capped at 50%) when I'm in Undermountain, which, is currently full of mobs I can barely take down - meaning, it's got about as high of level of mobs as I can handle, which, I would think would mean that it has mobs with the highest crit avoidance that I'll be fighting, which, I would think would mean, I should be at 50% crit ~ 100% of the time..

It sure doesn't feel like I crit that much... I did see some crits in my combat window recently but it sure didn't seem like 50%.

*shrug*

I guess I can see why they don't outright tell you your crit chance, now, due to it varies by mob. I don't understand why they capped it at 50% on top of giving mobs Critical Avoidance, but, 50% is pretty darn good to me and I didn't even have to put a monumental amount of effort into getting it. If I ever got that high in CO crit chance it was barely and took a huge amount of effort. 50% would be pretty good in STO for me, too. My severity is already over 100% without any effort whatsoever, too.

I guess I can see now why people don't go full boar crit chance and (apparently) go for Power (that I don't know what it does exactly) if I have my crit chance supposedly maxed already. The stats seem kinda different in Neverwinter than I'm used to but I seem to be catching on slowly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:32:50 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »
Infernal Spheres is out. I wanna be the AoE king of my build but it locked up too too many times so I had to give it up. Killing Flames has been the perfect replacement. I always meant to try this power but then never did for some reason until now. It seems extremely useful.

Found out I need the equivalent of 5...million....astral diamonds to get a level 4 workshop. 5 million. 5. Million.

Some Faves:

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »
Wth is.... "^"  ??

That typically means an exponent. So 2^3 would be two cubed (2 x 2 x 2).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret#Surrogate_symbol_for_superscript_and_exponentiation
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 12:47:42 AM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:27:07 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
I would assume that an exponent of 1 is there so it can be adjusted later "just in case", but I don't actually know.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 03:17:19 AM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:24:18 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
My first and only newb who is ~ 1 month old.. just finished the Undermountain campaign...solo.

*bow*

I had a little unsolicited help with a couple of middle mishes and I could have had help with the end ones but I'm glad I didn't - they toughened me up and trimmed my build down to the best thing I can presently come up with. I died many, many, many many times before completion and my present build is the only one I can come up with up to this point that is good enough to win fights that the others couldn't. The ol' school of hard knocks. And man, some were pretty hard! I had to give'er my all. And then dig down and give'er some more. Good stuff.

I still feel too papery and maybe more important - too undeepsery. I'm hoping gear will help that, lots.

Anyway, I thought it was worth bragging rights making it through Undermountain solo due to I never played the game before and those are some tough fights in half green gear (*shrug* I'm still looting green stuff better than my Purple Quest/Farm Gear..) with a month old Warlock and a lvl 20 Companion that you start the game with (the dog). I spent half that time getting my dang Workshop to level 3 and trying to figure out gear (with little success).

I'm pretty far into Underdark and Sharandar, too.

I'm thinking to make a Cleric or Paladin next to balance out my Warlock time.. I want to be in more of those easier teams with a good healer or tank and I don't wanna be Mr. ScaryDeath/Edgelord all the time, either, playing a Necro Warlock.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
Some Faves: