Author Topic: Fixing high resolution settings  (Read 3458 times)

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
Fixing high resolution settings
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:31:14 AM »
Arrgh, I really putzed up my resolution/game settings. Help with specific settings and/or pointer to CURRENT fix page or discussion appreciated... I don't need fixes for yesteryear or for Icon/Chat.

Setup is  Win10, GTX1050ti, center monitor is a Samsung 4k, one lower-res monitor each side. I had a working setup but I think it was running at half res, 1920x1080, and every time I cycled into the game it pushed stuff off the right hand monitor and messed up window scaling on return for open apps. I was trying to get the game to run in some native 4K display (3840x2160) and despite game settings, Nvidia console and Windows graphics console, I can't get anything to work. I either end up with a small format game display, or it sprawls over the center and right monitors and I often can't reach login and setting buttons.

I was into the game with my windows in place and the game restricted to the center monitor, but alt-head/centerpoint pushed about 1/3 down and right.

Anyone have a working 4K setup to share, or a setup for a lesser res that will put everything back? Thanks.
== The Guide, the GABB files and the GSNOTTY list, all at (NEW!) www.Shenanigunner.com ==

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Fixing high resolution settings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:59:44 AM »
It's kinda outside of COH's expectations.  They were flirting with 2K when the shutdown happened. 

I have a 29" Ultrawide display (2560 x 1080).  Granted, I'm not in 4K territory, but a lot of distortion for sure. For the most part, using Windowed Fullscreen mode and adjusting the Window Scale under User Interface in the Windows Tab of Options helps.  Also, in Windows 10, when right-clicking the program you use for City of Heroes (Homecoming, Reborn, etc. depending on your game executable in the I24/25 client folder), click Properties, the Compatibility tab, and give the options under "Change High DPI Settings" a spin.  You might get it to look more acceptable with Application as the High DPI Scaling override.

(This advice is client-neutral, it would help with Homecoming, Reborn, coxg, or even Paragon Chat if you need it.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »
Fixed it by resetting everything and rebuilding around 2560x1600.

I don't want/expect 4K from this game, but having my desktop and apps munged ever time gets tiresome...

Thanks.
== The Guide, the GABB files and the GSNOTTY list, all at (NEW!) www.Shenanigunner.com ==

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
I don't want/expect 4K from this game, but having my desktop and apps munged ever time gets tiresome...

Yeah, because my TV is shared across all my devices as an output, if I forget to swap inputs before turning my PC on I get the "joy" of moving my several dozen icons into the correct place. God I wish there was an app that locked icons on a desktop!
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Actually, there are icon save/restore apps. I used one in the past. Not sure if they're still out there/current.