Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270843 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1560 on: May 01, 2019, 11:32:07 PM »
Probably someone from 4Chan looking to shock someone.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1561 on: May 01, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
Probably someone from 4Chan looking to shock someone.

Ya most likely.  I saw some pictures from their private server that was basically just a really racist name, spamming really racist things.  Apparently, that is the whole appeal to that server judging by the pictures and things I read about it.

I think the Homecoming team will ban people for doing that kind of stuff.  They seem to be setting up a code of conduct for both the players and their GM's.

NCsoft should somehow incorporate all current and future CoX private servers into a launcher list similar to what Conan: Exiles and other survival games do, and similar to what Bioware's old Neverwinter Night's multiplayer shows when you log in.  It would list all player-run servers grouped by category according to their customized rule sets, restrictions, populations, etc.

That would rock.  Then everybody would be under one banner.  If certain admins didn't abide by a code of conduct (and their financial restrictions), NCsoft could give them the boot.

EQ does this with the private servers and I like it quite a bit.  Sometimes you need to download a different client or something, but it always shows the servers you can play on.  I think the goal (maybe?) is to make this possible with servers that share similar rulesets and ideals.  Currently, Tequila is needed to access any of server so I think in a sense it already is that way.  You just need to change something in the manifest to be able to see other servers.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1562 on: May 02, 2019, 12:05:05 AM »
Ya most likely.  I saw some pictures from their private server that was basically just a really racist name, spamming really racist things.  Apparently, that is the whole appeal to that server judging by the pictures and things I read about it.

I think the Homecoming team will ban people for doing that kind of stuff.  They seem to be setting up a code of conduct for both the players and their GM's.

EQ does this with the private servers and I like it quite a bit.  Sometimes you need to download a different client or something, but it always shows the servers you can play on.  I think the goal (maybe?) is to make this possible with servers that share similar rulesets and ideals.  Currently, Tequila is needed to access any of server so I think in a sense it already is that way.  You just need to change something in the manifest to be able to see other servers.

Could work but as to other servers and their rules,. There probably won't be a huge deviation until admins start trying to adjust current powers and archetypes or make all new ones like how they currently have radiation melee and rad armor and the sentinel archetype.

Likely it will be where an i24 character can port over to any i24 server, and to i25, but an i25 cannot port over to i24.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1563 on: May 02, 2019, 01:23:58 AM »
Likely it will be where an i24 character can port over to any i24 server, and to i25, but an i25 cannot port over to i24.

Sounds like in order to transfer characters between server it will involve having to create a dev tool to do it.  They said if a server has to shut down, they can try to copy the entire character database over to another(With no promise of success), but individual transfers without creating and thoroughly testing a Dev tool won't be doable.  It sounds like, for any server, character transfer is a long way down the road.

Once it exists, if multiple servers use it, then it might be possible.  For now, embrace the altitis.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:08:17 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1564 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
The other day on one of the servers i saw a character that had a Germanic/warrior costume which is fine, but the name was Adolf Hitler and the bio entry was a bit...well you get the idea.
Cheap shock value, ehhh.

But nobody expects... The Satanic Inquisition!  ;)
Spoiler for Hidden:
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....
Our *three* weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to eeevil....
Our *four*...no...
*Amongst* our weapons....
Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....
I'll come in again
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1565 on: May 02, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
NCsoft should somehow incorporate all current and future CoX private servers into a launcher list similar to what Conan: Exiles and other survival games do, and similar to what Bioware's old Neverwinter Night's multiplayer shows when you log in.  It would list all player-run servers grouped by category according to their customized rule sets, restrictions, populations, etc.

That would rock.  Then everybody would be under one banner.  If certain admins didn't abide by a code of conduct (and their financial restrictions), NCsoft could give them the boot.

Better to give NC Soft the boot.

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1566 on: May 02, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
Better to give NC Soft the boot.

Azrael.

Yeah, I know I have made my feelings about NcSoft pretty clear  over the years and especially recently.

But all pretense and emotion aside, logic dictates to me that the further Ncsoft is from all this, the better.

In fact I'd like to see the login screen edited to have the NCsoft logo on it removed or else have the red circle with line through it.
In fearful COH-less days

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1567 on: May 02, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »
That was interesting.   I downloaded one of the I25 virtual machine solutions.  Easy enough to set up.   I'd have appreciated a "click to ignore errors" when starting the dbserver, but really, what else could you do?

I currently have the VM hosted on a magnetic RAID-5 array.   This makes zoning into new zones slow.  How slow?  Slow enough to make you wonder if the server has hung up.   Once a map has been loaded, zoning is tolerable.  I'm going to create a copy of the VM on an SSD later.  Performance should improve.

NCSoft is now powerless to stop me from playing solo.

I just need one thing to make this perfect - a way to import my Sentinel+ files back into an I25 database.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1568 on: May 03, 2019, 02:34:46 AM »
That was interesting.   I downloaded one of the I25 virtual machine solutions.  Easy enough to set up.   I'd have appreciated a "click to ignore errors" when starting the dbserver, but really, what else could you do?

I currently have the VM hosted on a magnetic RAID-5 array.   This makes zoning into new zones slow.  How slow?  Slow enough to make you wonder if the server has hung up.   Once a map has been loaded, zoning is tolerable.  I'm going to create a copy of the VM on an SSD later.  Performance should improve.

I just need one thing to make this perfect - a way to import my Sentinel+ files back into an I25 database.

So I was actually curious about that.  I know with the Admin powers you can set your self to 50 and Auto Enhance.  But are you able to actually manually create IO sets?  When I set mine up I wanted to recreate my main using the Admin Tools.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1569 on: May 03, 2019, 04:16:36 AM »

Can you reroll the alt, bump it to 50, spawn the crafted incarnate powers, spawn crafted IO's to store in your base and then reslot the alt then restore the lost badges?

In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1570 on: May 03, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »

Congratulations.

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!"  Braveheart.

Azrael.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1571 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »

I made a thing.

Korbian

« Reply #1572 on: May 03, 2019, 03:40:47 PM »
Now I have a GLADOS in my head...

"I wouldn't bother with that thing. My guess is that touching it will just make your life even worse somehow."
"Let's be honest: Neither one of us knows what that thing does. Just put it in the corner, and I'll deal with it later."

Really though.  Good Thing.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1573 on: May 03, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »

I did not use the VM. Loading is just a few seconds between maps

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1574 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
Its quite funny the mmo that became a single player game.
How many folks did say it was impossible on a single machine to run coh :)
Only problemnis no auction house so you have to grind merits

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1575 on: May 03, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
If you're running your own game, I'm sure the coders will find a way to allow one to change a lot of the game parameters, such as multiplying all Merit Rewards by 10, 30, or 50. Or just making everything cost nothing.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1576 on: May 03, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »
If you're running your own game, I'm sure the coders will find a way to allow one to change a lot of the game parameters, such as multiplying all Merit Rewards by 10, 30, or 50. Or just making everything cost nothing.
I25 has removed the min amount on taskforces. I did posi today solo :)

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #1577 on: May 03, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Honestly, i25 is amazing and a near universal improvement over i24, I don't understand why some people want less options. :P

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1578 on: May 03, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »

Did you use the Freedom VM?  If so, mind if I PM you some questions?  I am trying it and was able to get through the steps, but there were no instructions on how to handle errors.  The main issue  was running into was "Chatserver is not connceted"

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1579 on: May 03, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
Its quite funny the mmo that became a single player game.
How many folks did say it was impossible on a single machine to run coh :)
You're confusing what was actually said with how you understood it.
First, technically it's still a MMO, your personal server just has only one player.
Second, six years after the shutdown (and fifteen after the game launched!) the server's RAM demands are still somewhat obscene and thus prohibiting some players from running their personal servers on typical consumer grade hardware. When you asked that question five years ago, the number of machines that could handle both the client and the server on the same system would have been even smaller.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.