Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270846 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1540 on: April 30, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
One advantage the current servers have is that there are so few of them.  I'd say its almost impossible now not to find someone to play with.  That wasn't true on most of the NCSoft servers.

Yeah I can think of three of the old servers that seemed to be dead zones in the last year before shutdown.
Infinity red side
Protector both sides
Pinnacle both sides

Though with the massive resurgence of players, my old estimate of how many servers may be required has been revised upwards. Discord I think has four now, things appear to be more stable but I suspect two more may be needed.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1541 on: May 01, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »
Would it be inappropriate to post here about how much it's going to cost per month to run a single private server?  I'd like to see that, and I think that's information people should have before they jump into "gonna run a public server!" and the initial guesstimates that were posted here to do such a thing seem to have been wildly underestimated.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1542 on: May 01, 2019, 01:13:36 AM »
Would it be inappropriate to post here about how much it's going to cost per month to run a single private server?  I'd like to see that, and I think that's information people should have before they jump into "gonna run a public server!" and the initial guesstimates that were posted here to do such a thing seem to have been wildly underestimated.

I think you'd need to set a maximum simultaneous user limit before you could get a good cost.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1543 on: May 01, 2019, 01:35:18 AM »
I think it's safe to say it's very expensive to try and host any kind of public server.  The last estimate I saw was more than I made a month.

For a private server for you, and maybe 2 or 3 people.  Probably not much at all if anything besides some higher bandwidth usage.  Unless you want to leave it up all the time.  You will probably burn through your internet providers data pretty quickly if that were to happen.  But just hosting it a few hours a couple of times a week shouldn't be too bad.  The people who have been doing that on Reddit haven't mentioned how much it is, so I imagine its rather small.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1544 on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:59 AM »
Different server hosts different fees.

Also....given that this is an emulation server of what could still be called pirated software....some server hosting services may have a thing about that.

Now if Ncsoft just says they consent to community servers.....
In fearful COH-less days

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #1545 on: May 01, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
The current chatter I'm seeing seems to say the servers are light on bandwidth usage and cpu usage, but heavy on RAM.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1546 on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »

Single private server for you and your familly? A good home pc will do. Mine does a fantastic job for the familly. Also running all the settings at ultra and 200% World detail. 60fps +

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1547 on: May 01, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
OK, what about a 30-300 person server?  I'm pretty sure that won't run on a PC.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

bugzee

« Reply #1548 on: May 01, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »

Its easy to load balance the servers too. The game has load balancing features built in so its actually pretty easy to dedicate a few machines to share the load. It actually runs really well, even on old hardware such as a core2 duo e8400. So get a few $100 used computers off of ebay and load them up (be sure to add a good amount of ram though). Its really not out of reach to put a few hundred players on home servers. If you have a good internet connection like FIOS, and you have a static IP, I would say you are good to go.

bugzee

« Reply #1549 on: May 01, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »
Had some thoughts on private servers:

If NCSoft were to not pursue any legal action against server owners, and we were free to make public servers, I would like to see the following things:

1. A server browser, so that we can see all the online servers and be able to choose which ones to play on.

2. In order to be listed on the server browser, the server owner will have to agree to a few things (make this info available via an api): # of online players, # of accts signed up, uptime statistics, max # of players allowed, server ping.

3. The server owners will agree to transfer characters to one another (Will need to make a character transfer tool). So if Joe Schmoe decides to shut his server down, characters can be transferred to a central character repository (perhaps operated by the server browser people) for further transfer to another server. Perhaps server owners will make available, a tool that the player can use at anytime to copy their character to the repository for safe storage as insurance against server shutdowns.

Just some ideas...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:01:01 PM by bugzee »

JJSoulkatana

• Underling
« Reply #1550 on: May 01, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
Big Thank you to all of you doing the work that you do.  While I am surprised that there was a private server running for years, I'm not mad at all.  I needed the break.  During that break I was able to get 4 college degrees finished and concentrate on real life.  It is so nice to be back on the streets kicking butt though and I look forward to doing it all again.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1551 on: May 01, 2019, 03:05:52 PM »
3. The server owners will agree to transfer characters to one another (Will need to make a character transfer tool). So if Joe Schmoe decides to shut his server down, characters can be transferred to a central character repository (perhaps operated by the server browser people) for further transfer to another server.
For character transfers, the server's take on the Inf economy will be relevant.  If your character is coming from a server where the Inf is free or massively inflated, moving to a server where the economy is more 'traditional', the transfer could wreck the economy.  The same with recipes, salvage, and other things that could be sold.

Possible other things that could be of concern are earning badges and whether the original server gives everyone all the badges and the new one requires that you earn them.  Did you earn your Enhancements or were you gifted them.  There's no objectively wrong answer, but there is a question of compatibility.

I don't think anyone cares about character level.

Fundamentally, it's an issue of trust and what the rules are on Server A vs the rules on Server B and whether those are compatible.

bugzee

« Reply #1552 on: May 01, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
Hmm, good points CG...

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1553 on: May 01, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
For character transfers, the server's take on the Inf economy will be relevant.  If your character is coming from a server where the Inf is free or massively inflated, moving to a server where the economy is more 'traditional', the transfer could wreck the economy.  The same with recipes, salvage, and other things that could be sold.

Possible other things that could be of concern are earning badges and whether the original server gives everyone all the badges and the new one requires that you earn them.  Did you earn your Enhancements or were you gifted them.  There's no objectively wrong answer, but there is a question of compatibility.

I don't think anyone cares about character level.

Fundamentally, it's an issue of trust and what the rules are on Server A vs the rules on Server B and whether those are compatible.

Well the game used to have character transfers, so seeing that return would be nice.

As to the character and what it is equipped with in terms of enhancers and badges and inf.....there is likely no way to prove if a character was "administratively boosted" vs. earning all the items through game progression.

There are also the haves and have nots, some players will look at any character and cry that said character has something they do not such as an anniversary badge or the notorious bug Hunter badge.

There will always be someone that thinks someone used an exploit or is an AE farm product or used a macro or a bot or something else to reach level 50, 2 billion influenc, have a maga supergroup base, etc, et , etc.

And with game back on emulation and the current i25build having basically everything unlocked for xcept bug Hunter badge which is fine, and an opportunity to purchase with merits the past years of anniversary badges, during anniversary time only, and even shortened the time to o get day job badges.....let's all just have fun and give that giant middle finger to Ncsoft that they so justly deserve.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:55:17 PM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days

Meridian

• Underling
« Reply #1554 on: May 01, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
Facetious much? :)
I'm just so curious about this post. I think having a private server sounds awesome, why would anyone question whether someone happy with theirs was serious?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1555 on: May 01, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
I'm just so curious about this post. I think having a private server sounds awesome, why would anyone question whether someone happy with theirs was serious?

I thought they were kidding at the time. Relax I am quite glad they are up and running

Soon I shall be as well

The more of us that get servers running be they public or private is more giant middle fingers to ncsoft
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:01:16 PM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1556 on: May 01, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
Currently, the Homecoming team said Character transfers are very, very low on their list of things to add.  The current 4 servers up right now though have WW shared between them as well as all AE missions.  So aside from population, you have access to all the mission and items being sold.

The current homecoming set up is for about 6,000 to 8,000 people and is (I believe) over $5000 a month.  The problem is people spreading out and doing their own thing.  If everyone stayed in the same area it wouldn't be a problem.  Also, 30 to 300 would have some rather different costs.  A 30 person server if you all stayed in the same area wouldn't be much at all I imagine.  300 People would be, even if they all stayed in the same place.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:57:00 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1557 on: May 01, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
Currently, the Homecoming team said Character transfers are very, very low on their list of things to add.  The current 4 servers up right now though have WW shared between them as well as all AE missions.  So aside from population, you have access to all the mission and items being sold.

The current homecoming set up is for about 6,000 to 8,000 people and is (I believe) over $5000 a month.  The problem is people spreading out and doing their own thing.  If everyone stayed in the same area it wouldn't be a problem.  Also, 30 to 300 would have some rather different costs.  A 30 person server if you all stayed in the same area wouldn't be much at all I imagine.  300 People would be, even if they all stayed in the same place.

Plus with all the servers that spring up, it will be harder fo Ncsoft to stop us. Eventually with all the servers that should appear, people will find one to call home and some servers may need to expand and some may not. A server for 100-300 players should be sufficient funds r me to provide a modest home for CoH players

Now if I should win the lottery....well....
In fearful COH-less days

Surelle

« Reply #1558 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:00 PM »
NCsoft should somehow incorporate all current and future CoX private servers into a launcher list similar to what Conan: Exiles and other survival games do, and similar to what Bioware's old Neverwinter Night's multiplayer shows when you log in.  It would list all player-run servers grouped by category according to their customized rule sets, restrictions, populations, etc.

That would rock.  Then everybody would be under one banner.  If certain admins didn't abide by a code of conduct (and their financial restrictions), NCsoft could give them the boot.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1559 on: May 01, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
NCsoft should somehow incorporate all current and future CoX private servers into a launcher list similar to what Conan: Exiles and other survival games do, and similar to what Bioware's old Neverwinter Night's multiplayer shows when you log in.  It would list all player-run servers grouped by category according to their customized rule sets, restrictions, populations, etc.

That would rock.  Then everybody would be under one banner.  If certain admins didn't abide by a code of conduct (and their financial restrictions), NCsoft could give them the boot.

Having Ncsoft as an ally would be great....but that distrust will always be there.

Now as to code of conduct regarding player conduct, costuming and naming...yeah I think we need that ASAP.
The other day on one of the servers i saw a character that had a Germanic/warrior costume which is fine, but the name was Adolf Hitler and the bio entry was a bit...well you get the idea.
In fearful COH-less days