Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270931 times)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1520 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
Hi. First time doing anything with sql and stuff like that. So total noob in that area.
Just follow the google document on the ourboro wiki site for coh.
Yes. Quite easy just a few steps that i had to resort to aid on discord and reddit. But now i know the pitfalls so i can aid others :) so happy to not be able to lose the game ever again. No dependencies on other people and servers.
Its all on mt pc. Windows 8.1.  I7 4930k. 4.5ghz. 16 gig ram. Ssd. 1080ti.
Awsome performance in game.
Tell me if you want help in seting it up.

As they say over here in England.  'Well done, my san.'   Really pleased for you.  One of the first to have true democracy in the COH community and to have the game preserved on his own terms.  Well.  Done.  Sir.

You've good sound specs there.  But achieveable ones.  i7.  16 gigs makes sense.  1080ti.  Nice gpu.!!!

And sound performance.  I bet!!!

Aye.  I may have a swing of the bat in having a go at this.  Mucho thanks for the offer of help.  Ty.  Much appreciated.  :)

I'm so glad our community are taking ownership.  I've been pontificating about Solo/LAN and smaller server play for a while now.  (Sorry everybody...)

Glad to see someone achieve it.

I'll check out the Ouro stuff.  *exciting stuff.

Regards,

Azrael.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1521 on: April 29, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
<modhat>
Quick reminder, everyone:

linking to Google doc of something like patch notes:  OK
directly linking to repositories with code of unknown origin that has not been vetted by TitanNO
linking to a Google doc with instructions on downloading code that has not been vetted by TitanNO
linking to Discord channels where you can find more information about downloading code that has not been vetted by Titan:  MAYBE but you should make it clear that no one here is taking responsibility for whatever you download based on their instructions

</modhat>
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

AjD

• Underling
« Reply #1522 on: April 29, 2019, 11:43:16 PM »
The virtual machine private server is very easy to setup because all of the work is done for you basically. It also seems to have very low hardware requirements. For reference my system is:

Windows 10
Pentium G4560 CPU (2 cores 4 threads)
16gb ram
Gtx 1050 ti

Now yes it is only me playing on the server, but still that was all I wanted out of a private server. If you want to host a lot of people then sure it'll be more demanding. I have built a few computers in my time but most of my knowledge is hardware based so if I found it easy I don't see why everyone else wouldn't.

If anyone is stuck then the best place is discord or reddit but honestly there are only like 4 steps :)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1523 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »
The virtual machine private server is very easy to setup because all of the work is done for you basically. It also seems to have very low hardware requirements. For reference my system is:

Windows 10
Pentium G4560 CPU (2 cores 4 threads)
16gb ram
Gtx 1050 ti

Now yes it is only me playing on the server, but still that was all I wanted out of a private server. If you want to host a lot of people then sure it'll be more demanding. I have built a few computers in my time but most of my knowledge is hardware based so if I found it easy I don't see why everyone else wouldn't.

If anyone is stuck then the best place is discord or reddit but honestly there are only like 4 steps :)

I got a cheap key for Windows 10 the other day that I plan on using to bring up my own server.  I looked over though and it seems like as long as you follow the instructions exactly it should only take 20-30 minutes to setup.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1524 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:33 AM »
Yes I've been skimming the steps here at work my win 7 box should do nicely. Both as server and client and my old xp box also was able to play the game back in the day so I can set it up to connect via lan for another to play
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1525 on: April 30, 2019, 04:34:57 AM »
Sorry, it was I who linked the google doc totally unaware of the rules here :)

anyway, the nice thing of running solo server is that you are also the admin, GM and whatever and can set a lot of rules in the game.
Want to set solo requirements for task forces/strike forces no problem.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #1526 on: April 30, 2019, 07:32:20 AM »
Really sweet idea, and any generosity to ease the incarnate grind for the altoholics like myself is welcome.

Sweet idea at a glance, but the end result is people grinding solo AE content instead of forming big groups to run the different incarnate trials. Incarnate trials the devs spent months working on which formed some of my most favorite memories of the game.

I understand why Leo did it on his 200 pop server. But it needs to be reverted(or at least toned down) in the current 3k pop servers for the endgame to truly return. If you wanna ease the grind, increase the rewards from trials. Don't give the rewards from grinding AE.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:47:42 AM by Auroxis »

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #1527 on: April 30, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Set up lan server runs very well and without a hicup

Anyone have any guide to how to change settings, like 2x XP, enable Halloween etc ?

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1528 on: April 30, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
The Devs put a cap limit on AE rewards didn't they?

Still, the farming was too lucrative.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1529 on: April 30, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
I've not gotten high enough to see what the vet level rewards are but I can't imagine they'd make the trials completely unnecessary. And I'm pretty sure we paid off dev effort on the trials well before shutdown. I know I had more than a dozen maxed before they even added the da stuff. Nostalgia might make me run one baf but if there's a way to cut it from 100 I'm all for it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1530 on: April 30, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
The Devs put a cap limit on AE rewards didn't they?

Still, the farming was too lucrative.

AE should never, ever, have had XP rewards.

AjD

• Underling
« Reply #1531 on: April 30, 2019, 05:47:39 PM »
Set up lan server runs very well and without a hicup

Anyone have any guide to how to change settings, like 2x XP, enable Halloween etc ?

You can find that stuff on the ourowiki that's been setup. Add XPScale 2.0 to servers.cfg for double xp and you can start halloween using /shardeventstart scriptdefs/Halloween_11_Event.scriptdef

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1532 on: April 30, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
You can find that stuff on the ourowiki that's been setup. Add XPScale 2.0 to servers.cfg for double xp and you can start halloween using /shardeventstart scriptdefs/Halloween_11_Event.scriptdef

As I recall multiple events can't be run at the same time, right?    Like dxp plus holiday or holiday plus rikti invasion?
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1533 on: April 30, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
The private server thing sounds nice for preservation but I worry that if I can just push a button for my food pellets I'll quit running the maze and my stomach will explode.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1534 on: April 30, 2019, 07:57:04 PM »
The private server thing sounds nice for preservation but I worry that if I can just push a button for my food pellets I'll quit running the maze and my stomach will explode.

Valid point however it looks like the public emulation servers are sticking around, so your personal server can be where you restore your lost alts, test new ones you didn't get to try, then jump into the more public servers with greater knowledge of how powers you never tried would work and a better plan on how to build up an io empower your alt.
In fearful COH-less days

VileTerror

• Underling
« Reply #1535 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »
With a private server you can be the GM for a group of roleplayers.  Give some friends a custom-tailored gaming experience.  That's my plan, anyway.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1536 on: April 30, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
With a private server you can be the GM for a group of roleplayers.  Give some friends a custom-tailored gaming experience.  That's my plan, anyway.

Precisely what I've been thinking. My server once it is up will be Lan only for awhile.

After I get used to admin powers and fully research server costs and bandwidth costs and my budget allows for it I will boot up a more public server.....unless TonyV comes through with the win for community Ncsoft sanctioned servers

Main thing that will stop me from a more public server is money and I do not want to have to setup donations as that will be a slippery slope that could enable trouble with Ncsoft.
In fearful COH-less days

AjD

• Underling
« Reply #1537 on: April 30, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
As I recall multiple events can't be run at the same time, right?    Like dxp plus holiday or holiday plus rikti invasion?

I would've thought the XP multiplier would work regardless of what you are doing as you have to put it directly in the config file but I'm not sure. I rescued Baby New Year (again) yesterday but I was using a character that I boosted to lvl 50 so haven't checked.

I think if you have a group of people and you rotate who the GM is then it should be fine because you'll have different ideas from each person. Playing solo though I can see it getting boring. I like both solo and team play but the idea of not being able to play with other people at all is why I would like a unified public server if possible. I like messing around on my own server (and will continue to) but it just isn't the same.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1538 on: April 30, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »
One advantage the current servers have is that there are so few of them.  I'd say its almost impossible now not to find someone to play with.  That wasn't true on most of the NCSoft servers.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov