Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 271009 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1500 on: April 29, 2019, 12:27:00 AM »
The level cap should never be raised. That's so anti-city of heroes. Just go play WoW if you want to get stuck in an endless loop of power creep and dated content.

Yeah....unless the Battalion is added to the game I see no reason to raise the cap.

However, the 4 lost incarnate powers....yeah those I plan to activate on my own server. Though there is no official lore for them, their names seem self evident as to what they could be.

The Omega slot...for simplicity's sake that will be the bookend to alpha slot, and I would have it take the same powers as alpha slot, but you can't have the same one in each slot

Example: you cannot have two cardiac boosters, but if you want to have T4 cardiac core in one  & T4 damage core in the other that would be fine
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1501 on: April 29, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 05:46:13 PM by Leandro »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1502 on: April 29, 2019, 12:46:25 AM »
No, that was just the solution I came up with for Veteran badges. Since subscription fees are not a thing, you can now continue earning XP after level 50, and those levels are called "Veteran Levels" in your personal info. Every 3 levels you get one of the Veteran badges. There are also some Incarnate rewards attached to them to ease off the grind, although they might be a bit too generous at this point.

Hmmm, now that is interesting and is a good way to keep the three month vet badges moving...

Also, hello Leandro! I don't think we've met yet.
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1503 on: April 29, 2019, 01:15:59 AM »
No, that was just the solution I came up with for Veteran badges. Since subscription fees are not a thing, you can now continue earning XP after level 50, and those levels are called "Veteran Levels" in your personal info. Every 3 levels you get one of the Veteran badges. There are also some Incarnate rewards attached to them to ease off the grind, although they might be a bit too generous at this point.

Really sweet idea, and any generosity to ease the incarnate grind for the altoholics like myself is welcome.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1504 on: April 29, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »

Hello Leandro. :) 

Much pleasure it brings me to see you respond to my post.  I'm glad you're a vibrant part of the CoH community and ty for your leadership (and SCORE's) in bringing the game back to the community and preserving its legacy.  30,000 accounts now!  With 4 servers now creaking under the load.  Personally?  I am thanking you.

That's some rebirth.   8)  We're almost talking phoenix from the ashes territory, here...

(I was teasing...)  However...re: the level cap.  *probing for a response, perhaps.

I do recall one excellent post you did re: raising the level cap to 60 vs the whole Incarnate design and allocating the interface for the powers to a more standard CoH interface aka more like super epics....and re-doing the Brickstown zone (and possibly others...)  It was one of the more creative posts I ever read on these forums.  (I didn't have a problem with the Incarnate idea so much as its implementation in breaking with the standard CoH interface with its 'fussy and fiddly' annex design with nested interface elements...and 'shift' levels.  All of which could have been done in the standard interface.)  And in light of the work done 're-modelling' the Rikti Warzone and finishing the Wharf...(Statesman included...) along with ability to earn 'veteran' levels....  It teased my mind as to the possibilities.  *(I don't know if you remember that post you did.  But, who knows...alot of work...but one for the future?  Looking at Demonhunter's work on zone design...there's no reason SCORE couldn't add him to the team to create 'alt-realities' of all the standard zones.  But SCORE will probably have their own ideas where they want to take their development branch of CoH.)

Personally, I've read the feature list on i25 (along with all the bug fixes) and it is a 'love poem' to CoH. 

6 years of hard work.

Alot of care, attention and respect went into the i25 release (and as I'm musing above...) I hope SCORE continue work on their branch of the game.  I like Leandro and SCORE's ideas eg Veteran levels or the Archetype they introduced.  You look at, eg. Paragon Chat (Codewalker's ode to SG bases...in particular) and you see people that honour and respect the 'feel' of the original game. 

Yes.  I'm intrigued to see more of Leandro and SCORE's ideas.

Regards,

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:37:55 AM by Azrael »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1505 on: April 29, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
The level cap should never be raised. That's so anti-city of heroes. Just go play WoW if you want to get stuck in an endless loop of power creep and dated content.

Never say never. :P

We have 'veteran levels' now. :D

Play WoW?  Now CoH is around.  Are you crazy? :P  (Rasing the cap to 60 to include incarnate content is one thing...but 120?  I think Blizzard lost the plot there.  Played it.  Maybe they should have stopped at 60?  There is a danger in raising the cap endlessly.  The design can get 'leggy.')

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1506 on: April 29, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »

So want to, but will not yet do so.

Servers unstable
Serves could be wiped, not likely but possible.
Ncsoft finally drops the heavy end of the hammer on this whole thing

I am trying to wait until we hear f om TonyV about the community server project plus the "servers for everyone" code package.

My goals

1. A server of my own even if only I am the one to use it
2. Spend as many hours or days as needed on my personal server to restore my lost legends from backups.
3. Play on the community servers if TonyV succeeds
4. Hopefully on the community server to restore some or all my lost legends via sentinel

My ultimate goal: to give Ncsoft the giant middle finger they gave us when they killed CoH

Amen to 1-4.

I think that mirrors my own feelings.

The personal preservation of CoH and my alts is my goal.  And then, I have the option of playing COH with the 'broader' community via the current 'Test' servers...and Tony V's Titan community if he succeeds.

That's the thing.  There's going to be a community of communities.  There's already 3 different server projects ongoing.  One of which is i25 and ongoing.  And a potential 4th if Tony V succeeds.  (We've already had our 1st loss of a server when the 'panic' switch got hit.  However, another team stepped in.  And that augers well for the future.  Different teams can show leadership in running the game as is...modified see i25 or further creativity and modification in take the game in different directions.  What are the odds that some 'purists' try to implement a kind of Battallion and Moonbase content over issues 25/26/27?  Piecing together the snippets from what Matt Miller said in his farewell interview..?  There's the map creator (which is in a rough form usuable by people who are crazy enough to use it) and the AE.  So people can come up with their own content.  It's not unfeasible a Paragon Wiki committee create an offsute to muse future development once i24 is stable and in everybody's hands.)

I think that's the ultimate realisation of the COH community.  Running the CoH community is democratised.

...and the holy grail of your own private server to preserve its legacy in the case of any servers getting legal nuked, financially shutdown...or people get bored of the game.

It's uncertain.  Sure.  (I take your point about going 'all in' not knowing if a server is going to be NC Nuked...legally.  Or if it gets shutdown financially or any other reason.)  But that's exciting in a way.  The CoH community hasn't been this vibrant in a long time.  Things are happening fast.  MMOs all have that sword of damocles hanging over them.

All the more reason for that i24 'home brew CoH in a box' solution sooner.  I'll relax more when that comes.  I only want the ability to host a handful of players.  Well maybe a community of 25 for people who just like to 'hang.'  About what Paragon Chat handles on average (though it can do more than 25-50?)  In fact, a Paragon Chat style solution would suit me fine.  (On its timeline is feature talking of handing over to 'real-time' protocol to handle combat.)

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:36:44 AM by Azrael »

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #1507 on: April 29, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »

Play WoW?  Now CoH is around.  Are you crazy? :P 

Heh, since servers were down, I decided to do something profitable so I uninstalled WoW... and every other game I had, heck I even uninstalled Steam lmao

privateer3

• Underling
« Reply #1508 on: April 29, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
Hopefully the problems created by the quickly growing population will be resolved. Login queues in excess of 1,000, frequent map server disconnections. Haven't been able to play for days.

It is wonderful that some talented programmers rebuilt the server code, but now they need to figure out how to get enough bandwidth and computing power to handle the load.

I started playing CoH on the day NCsoft turned the servers on. We had thousands of players every day. There were hundreds of Supergroups. I was there the day and moment NCsoft turned off the server, and watched the system chat countdown with my friends.

Sure hope I can actually play the game again!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1509 on: April 29, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »
Heh, since servers were down, I decided to do something profitable so I uninstalled WoW... and every other game I had, heck I even uninstalled Steam lmao

Yes.  WoW.  Despite all it's billions and millions.  WoW still can't beat a 'dead' game.  (I'll give it props for the Death Knight AT.  Aside from that...oh yes.  The music is very well done.  Got to give them that...)

CoH.  Like the combat better.  The chat window.  The customisable interface.  The legendary costume creator.  The mobs.  Power sets.  Sidekicking.  CoH was so progressive in its design.  Still stands up today.

:D

Steam...yes.  Going to delete that myself...

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1510 on: April 29, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
Hopefully the problems created by the quickly growing population will be resolved. Login queues in excess of 1,000, frequent map server disconnections. Haven't been able to play for days.

It is wonderful that some talented programmers rebuilt the server code, but now they need to figure out how to get enough bandwidth and computing power to handle the load.

I started playing CoH on the day NCsoft turned the servers on. We had thousands of players every day. There were hundreds of Supergroups. I was there the day and moment NCsoft turned off the server, and watched the system chat countdown with my friends.

Sure hope I can actually play the game again!

Yeah.  NC turned the servers off. :/

Early days yet.

It will come.

Getting a version that is stable, 'efficient' and scaleable is probably a priority right now.  And that's the race that is going on in the background of the 'day to day' drama of the test servers.  Just teething problems.

Getting hit by 30000 accounts is no longer just 500-1000.  The populations has spiked rapidly.  And I'd argue more of the CoH casuals have no idea about it.  (I wouldn't bet against that 30,000 doubling.)

Word is getting out, though...

Azrael.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1511 on: April 29, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Someone was just saying in the discord once you hit 50, you keep leveling.  You just don't receive levels anymore.  So you will get rezzed from it like when you would level, as well as the Full Inspiration you get.  But you don't actually level past 50.  AFAIK no badge is needed - you just naturally do it.
Yes I noticed this on a test server. After level 50, the progress bar was still increasing. I was a bit puzzled about that. I don't remember the game being like that.
*intrigue.  Raising the level cap??? :P
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cLJiSYlfueJheOumRywG8Evip2Mjmu_30Y6ePaetqY/edit
All the Veteran badges are back; they are now rewarded for earning experience after level 50, with each "Veteran Level" counting as one month in the original progression. Badges for levels 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 grant a Respec and a Costume Token.
Veteran Levels:
This is the new name for leveling up after 50. You can check your current Veteran Level in your info window (previously at any City Info Terminal kiosk, under "Character"). They grant the Veteran badges listed above, and also a second set of hidden badges with Empyrean rewards, front-loaded to allow characters to get all their T3s with 9 Veteran Levels (down from 12) and all their T4s with 48 Veteran Levels (down from 57). The Empyreans are tied to badges and no longer drop on every single level.
Badges 3 to 24: 20 Empyrean Merits
Badges 27 to 48: 15 Empyran Merits
Badges 51 to 69: 10 Empyrean Merits
Badges 72 to 99: 5 Empyrean Merits
You will also receive 120 threads for VL 1,2, 4,5, 7,8, and 10,11. (This is subject to change.)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1512 on: April 29, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cLJiSYlfueJheOumRywG8Evip2Mjmu_30Y6ePaetqY/edit

Ty for the link, 5th Horseman.

Noted. 

I'll  also have to get teh hang of the multi-quote system here...

Azrael.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1513 on: April 29, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
Got my private solo server running :) No more worries for disconnects, ques, lag etc.
Works like a Dream.
No-one can take away the game from me now...totally surreal
Off to solo positron task force...

quite a mysterious feeling standing at blue steel looking out in the city...being the only hero in the whole city...my city... ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:50:25 PM by kiario »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1514 on: April 29, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
Got my private solo server running :) No more worries for disconnects, ques, lag etc.
Works like a Dream.

quite a mysterious feeling standing at blue steel looking out in the city...being the only hero in the whole city...my city... ;)

Facetious much? :)
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1515 on: April 29, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »

So want to, but will not yet do so.

Servers unstable
Serves could be wiped, not likely but possible.
Ncsoft finally drops the heavy end of the hammer on this whole thing

I am trying to wait until we hear f om TonyV about the community server project plus the "servers for everyone" code package.

My goals

1. A server of my own even if only I am the one to use it
2. Spend as many hours or days as needed on my personal server to restore my lost legends from backups.
3. Play on the community servers if TonyV succeeds
4. Hopefully on the community server to restore some or all my lost legends via sentinel

My ultimate goal: to give Ncsoft the giant middle finger they gave us when they killed CoH

I don't have Windows 10 so I can't run the SQL stuff but it sounds like you can set up a private server now on a single PC and host it on a VM if its just for one person.  Sounds like its not too hardware dependent if its just one person.

People have been discussing setting up on their offline servers on regular computers while being able to play on them the last couple days.  I think there is a link somewhere too?  I don't know if we are supposed to post it here so I can DM it to you if you want.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1516 on: April 29, 2019, 08:07:25 PM »
Works like a Dream.

You got it working? 

:o

Azrael.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1517 on: April 29, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »
Facetious much? :)
Do you mean joking? No sir totally serious

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1518 on: April 29, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
Do you mean joking? No sir totally serious

In that case.

I'm impressed.  Well done.

Does it need technie knowledge?  Or did you follow a guide?

(What rig specs do you have etc?)

Not jealous.  But I am green with ENVIOUS.

Azrael.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1519 on: April 29, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
Well done!

Easy to do?  Or technie knowledge required?

Marvel or DC style.  You're the only hero in the city.  You're in your own universe.

I'm not jealous.  But I am ENVIOUS!

Azrael.

Hi. First time doing anything with sql and stuff like that. So total noob in that area.
Just follow the google document on the ourboro wiki site for coh.
Yes. Quite easy just a few steps that i had to resort to aid on discord and reddit. But now i know the pitfalls so i can aid others :) so happy to not be able to lose the game ever again. No dependencies on other people and servers.
Its all on mt pc. Windows 8.1.  I7 4930k. 4.5ghz. 16 gig ram. Ssd. 1080ti.
Awsome performance in game.
Tell me if you want help in seting it up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:19:02 PM by kiario »