Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270894 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1400 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
I just finished reading the consolidated patch notes for "i25" and, I must say, if I had to chose, I'd rather play "i25" then a perfectly re-created "i24."

It just fixes so many things. And while I would't agree with all the ways they handled no longer having a real-money or auction-house economy... for the most part, it's perfectly fine.

And while I haven't tried it, people who've been using i25's revamped Base-Builder have only raved about it.

If any group wants to have an i24 server, they'd be better off with i25 and just reverting or removing a few things they'd do differently to make it more like i24 rather than take i24 and making all the fixes already done in i25. IMO.

The problem is that Leandro has not made the i25 source public, so most of the development effort is around the i24 source, which we do have. It is best to be self sufficient and be able to get a working game from the ground up for long term usability to handle OS changes or new hardware developments, etc.  We're in it for the long haul.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1401 on: April 26, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »
The problem is that Leandro has not made the i25 source public, so most of the development effort is around the i24 source, which we do have. It is best to be self sufficient and be able to get a working game from the ground up for long term usability to handle OS changes or new hardware developments, etc.  We're in it for the long haul.

That's fair comment.

SCORE worked on i25.  It's 'their' version of the Dev's game.

Most of the dev' work being around i24 makes sense.  That's going to be the version 'most' people accept as legitimate (despite playing i25 on test thanks to Leandro's help...) as it was 'cruelly' snatched from a public release.  And it that's the 'only' copy they have it makes to base development around 'what we do have.'

In short, I agree, it is best to be 'self sufficient'...  And a promising development from the discord channels I spied...  A 'girl' coder has her own home brew server running on her set up?  Surely not.  A hoax?  An imaginary red kryptonite tale...

The sooner that 'i24' is democratised and in the hands of the coh community at large, then the game will never go away again.  A clean, stable, from the ground up copy that can use modern dev' tools to expand the game even further and adapt to OS/Hardware changes...

If we can get it into a 'smaller' hardware requiring package that will run on today's more powerful PCs?  Great.  With nice simple admin' tools.

I'm enjoying i25 by SCORE.  They did a good job.  Leandro (and the rest of SCORE) did a fine job on it.  But I'm also looking towards and voicing my support of all the initiatives.  i25 by SCORE.  The DISCORD CoH server variations (one working on i24 and one temp' Test server using Leandro/SCORE's i25...'for now.')

And yes.  I really hope Tony V (top bloke as we say here in the UK) gets a result from his 'talks' with the NC Soft corporation (good luck, he'll need it.)

There's going to be splintering.  It already has.  Alternative realities.  Good.  The more the merrier.

NC and Paragon Studios aren't going to write the next chapter.  The community is.  In all it's ice cream flavours.

Elec/Elec domis hit like a snow flake.  (But boy do I like them...)  Stone/WP tank?  Got to love that hammer.

Azrael.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »

...but thanks to the preservation work of SCORE we have it.  (And the original brave dev' who leaked the plans to the Death Star...) 

I think it should be OK to give his name now. The leaker was the late Emmanuel "Manny" Bothans.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
I think it should be OK to give his name now. The leaker was the late Emmanuel "Manny" Bothans.

Pffft... I see what you did there. :P

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
The leaker was the late Emmanuel "Manny" Bothans.

Well played!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
That doesn't mean the community can't enjoy or have 'as per shutdown' i23.  (Sorry, i24 which wasn't officially released?  So it isn't 'official' either...mere beta...the wider community didn't have that either due to the hand of 'god' or NC Soft.)  i24 nearly made it...but thanks to the preservation work of SCORE we have it. 
In the months leading up to the shutdown all players were allowed onto the beta server, thus making i24 available to the wider community through there.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »

Nice ROTJ joke!

Seriously though I do not know what the statutes are for theft/cyber theft/data theft in Korea/USA, so even after all these years it may be best if the person remains unknown.

New badge for the game:  Protector of the Source       

or in Cybertronian terminology: Bearer of the Matrix
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Hmmm... After some thought, I've removed this post on the chance that it violates forum posting policies. I'll double-check with the admins about it.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:17:11 PM by slickriptide »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »

New badge for the game:  Protector of the Source       

Amen.

Azrael.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2019, 10:35:40 PM »
The problem is that Leandro has not made the i25 source public, so most of the development effort is around the i24 source, which we do have.

In the SEGS discord discussion that led to the current situation, Leandro was explaining that his source code had timestamps all through it that could compromise his source and that it would take him a long time to clean it. 

Then the PIVOTAL event was when ANOTHER person who had ANOTHER version of the source code joined and started working with Leandro.  The I24 source was released the next day. 

It seems reasonable to conclude that in some manner the second copy of I24 source either allowed the cleanup or it was actually the second person's I24 that was released.  But there would only be Leandro's source for the I25.

However the discord team working on getting the "tall not wide" server package going (one that can run on a single modern machine as opposed to multiple physical machines) has said they don't want the I25 source anyway because it isn't optimized to be easy to expand/update into further development directions.

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2019, 11:23:15 PM »
Well I like some of the i25 stuff lik rad melee and rad armor, but I can add them into my own private server, that's fine.

So... even though this is a test server that might get wiped and our character on it may possibly not be ported into other private servers......is anyone else having trouble restraining their urge to badge hunt?

Any badges I have gained have been either from th AE or hitting an explore badge as I travel around or from leveling or from obtaining ouroborus portal.  I am using a surprising amount of restraint,....anyone else having this problem?

Also I was poking around in pocket d last night, ski slope appears to be open.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1411 on: April 27, 2019, 02:13:42 AM »
Well I like some of the i25 stuff lik rad melee and rad armor, but I can add them into my own private server, that's fine.

So... even though this is a test server that might get wiped and our character on it may possibly not be ported into other private servers......is anyone else having trouble restraining their urge to badge hunt?

Any badges I have gained have been either from th AE or hitting an explore badge as I travel around or from leveling or from obtaining ouroborus portal.  I am using a surprising amount of restraint,....anyone else having this problem?

Also I was poking around in pocket d last night, ski slope appears to be open.

I started making a Task Force in AE lol.  Even if it gets wiped I wanna try and get it finished for the double XP weekend.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1412 on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:33 AM »
I kind of tuned out the discord today, they are having dxp this weekend?

Also dxp never applied to the AE as I recall
In fearful COH-less days

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1413 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »
This Google Doc contains the consolidate patch notes for I25:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cLJiSYlfueJheOumRywG8Evip2Mjmu_30Y6ePaetqY/edit?usp=sharing

How accurate are the contents?  No idea.

Surelle

« Reply #1414 on: April 27, 2019, 03:36:41 AM »
I kind of tuned out the discord today, they are having dxp this weekend?

Also dxp never applied to the AE as I recall

Double Xp on Excelsior is already going Friday night on through Monday midnight.  Woot!  And we also have the 15th anniversary in Paragon Chat Sunday! Jeez, who would have thought all this amazing stuff would be happening back just a few weeks ago, huh?

Some fun stats:

Peak player count has increased to just over 3,500 (today)
Over 22,000 accounts have been created
Over 47,000 characters have been made
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:46:50 AM by Surelle »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1415 on: April 27, 2019, 03:45:10 AM »
This Google Doc contains the consolidate patch notes for I25:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cLJiSYlfueJheOumRywG8Evip2Mjmu_30Y6ePaetqY/edit?usp=sharing

How accurate are the contents?  No idea.

A labour of love.  Looks like they've been busy...

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1416 on: April 27, 2019, 03:49:09 AM »
In the SEGS discord discussion that led to the current situation, Leandro was explaining that his source code had timestamps all through it that could compromise his source and that it would take him a long time to clean it. 

Then the PIVOTAL event was when ANOTHER person who had ANOTHER version of the source code joined and started working with Leandro.  The I24 source was released the next day. 

It seems reasonable to conclude that in some manner the second copy of I24 source either allowed the cleanup or it was actually the second person's I24 that was released.  But there would only be Leandro's source for the I25.

However the discord team working on getting the "tall not wide" server package going (one that can run on a single modern machine as opposed to multiple physical machines) has said they don't want the I25 source anyway because it isn't optimized to be easy to expand/update into further development directions.

Tall not wide.  =  Holy Grail.

Once i24 is optimised.  Stable.  Easy to deploy on a modern PC.  You have a real nexus point for development.

Presumably more modern dev' tools can be used and changes made faster.

I'm enjoying the i25 test server.  But being able to run my own server?  To help preserve the game for the future?  Can't wait.

And one day easy to use zone/map/mission creators will take the game forward.  An enhanced AE+.  Where we can all write an 'i25'.  Unbroken Shard.  A nexus point.

I still think this is all a surreal dream and I'm going to wake up.  It doesn't seem real.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1417 on: April 27, 2019, 03:52:51 AM »
Double Xp on Excelsior is already going Friday night on through Monday midnight.  Woot!  And we also have the 15th anniversary in Paragon Chat Sunday! Jeez, who would have thought all this amazing stuff would be happening back just a few weeks ago, huh?

Some fun stats:

Peak player count has increased to just over 3,500 (today)
Over 22,000 accounts have been created
Over 47,000 characters have been made

I've never seen the tutorial zone so rammed with Heroes!  I can't even kill the outcasts because...people were jumping them.  Lol.

Just packed out...they never stood a chance... :P

Double xp early bird to get people on Excelsior...is gangbusters.  Going nuts for it.

22,000 a/cs made. :O

3500 peak player count.

No demand for CoH, eh?

Azrael.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1418 on: April 27, 2019, 03:55:24 AM »
I'm sure there is a demand for free CoX.   How much demand there would be for paid CoX is another question.

Surelle

« Reply #1419 on: April 27, 2019, 04:03:21 AM »
I'm sure there is a demand for free CoX.   How much demand there would be for paid CoX is another question.

CoX had been F2P for several years before it got shut down, and it had actually seen an increase in revenue during that time.

Imagine all the thousands more people that are too nervous to play on a private server (or they'd rather avoid the lag, performance issues and drama there) that would jump at the chance to play again on an officially sanctioned server.