Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 271051 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1380 on: April 25, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
Apparently Leandro doesn't have an admin position in Torchbearer, he's there as a tech advisor.

This puts my mind at ease a bit.

Sources:

https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,105.0.html

Ultimately, this should give Leo more peace of mind.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1381 on: April 25, 2019, 07:36:31 PM »
Superspeed is the same. But as/cj/occasional raptor pack hit is always effective.

Hmm I wonder, would it be the power or outdoor maps that would have to be updated to make super speed capable of running up walls like it should
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

SilverAgeFan

• Underling
« Reply #1382 on: April 25, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
Hmm I wonder, would it be the power or outdoor maps that would have to be updated to make super speed capable of running up walls like it should

I recall significant discussions with BABs back on the original forums about the challenges of making this work for the game, including how view fields are rotated, etc. to make the power functional. IIRC, there was a round of internal experimentation by the original official dev team. (But I could be wrong)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1383 on: April 25, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »
I recall significant discussions with BABs back on the original forums about the challenges of making this work for the game, including how view fields are rotated, etc. to make the power functional. IIRC, there was a round of internal experimentation by the original official dev team. (But I could be wrong)

Hm, okay.......an idea......perhaps while on outdoor maps with Super Speed turned on you can phase through walls, something that the Flash can do.  Indoor missions would not have this and neither would PVP
In fearful COH-less days

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #1384 on: April 25, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
Just realize if each person donated a dollar who played, it would be paid for like 3 times over. Lol

Feign

• Underling
« Reply #1385 on: April 25, 2019, 10:02:33 PM »
As usual, it seems I'm late to find out, but thankfully it looks like the only thing I missed was confusion and anxiety.
I for one hyped about this.

Eiko-chan

• Minion
« Reply #1386 on: April 25, 2019, 11:24:37 PM »
"We're all heroes".
As i have repeatedly tried to remind the community, even back when the game was running officially, some of us are villains.

Personally, I really hope TonyV wins the day, because this is a problem desperately in need of a monetary solution; anyone running a "public" server (farm) is going to need funds to support it. And I'd hope for a mutli-server solution, because I don't think Freedom, Pinnacle, Virtue, and all the other servers are going to play nicely together long-term.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1387 on: April 25, 2019, 11:34:19 PM »
As i have repeatedly tried to remind the community, even back when the game was running officially, some of us are villains.

Personally, I really hope TonyV wins the day, because this is a problem desperately in need of a monetary solution; anyone running a "public" server (farm) is going to need funds to support it. And I'd hope for a mutli-server solution, because I don't think Freedom, Pinnacle, Virtue, and all the other servers are going to play nicely together long-term.

I want TonyV to win as well but multiple private servers is also good. Granted they will eventually differ from each other as admins alter things to their specifications and some may be liked more then others.

The main trick is the cost of money for hardware and bandwidth.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1388 on: April 25, 2019, 11:56:32 PM »

I agree I would happily donate to help keep the servers up.  But until we get the okay I don't want to put the server in jeopardy.  But I don't think its remotely fair for the server host to have to pay all that upkeep themselves.  Let's hope the talks go well, I have faith that TonyV will do everything he can to make it a possibility.

Feign

• Underling
« Reply #1389 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:22 AM »
Actually, watching the drama around SCoRE, it seems to have really shown what degree of lawfulness each of the users here have personally.
Some are mad at the group for possibly stealing code (even if it's from an organization that is arguably evil.)
Some are mad that the group kept the server from the greater community (and mostly from them personally.)
Some see progress for science, secrecy and laws be damned (they did what they had to do, after all.)
And some see another bell toll on the inevitable demise of NCS and are filled with a dark (but widely sympathized) glee.
I also find it interesting how these reactions don't necessarily line up with how we were in-game.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1390 on: April 26, 2019, 03:57:19 AM »
Actually, watching the drama around SCoRE, it seems to have really shown what degree of lawfulness each of the users here have personally.
Some are mad at the group for possibly stealing code (even if it's from an organization that is arguably evil.)
Some are mad that the group kept the server from the greater community (and mostly from them personally.)
Some see progress for science, secrecy and laws be damned (they did what they had to do, after all.)
And some see another bell toll on the inevitable demise of NCS and are filled with a dark (but widely sympathized) glee.
I also find it interesting how these reactions don't necessarily line up with how we were in-game.
Astute and poetic-good observations.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1391 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:24 AM »
Imagine a server set up just for PvP and all the PvPers can find a home.

Far from us.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1392 on: April 26, 2019, 06:35:30 AM »
Imagine a server set up just for PvP and all the PvPers can find a home.

Far from us.

Be nice.  PvPers are people too.  ;D

The stereotypical ones trash talk you after a defeat.  The good ones say, "wanna see my build"?
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1393 on: April 26, 2019, 06:36:54 AM »
Every villain is a hero of their own tale :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1394 on: April 26, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
I just finished reading the consolidated patch notes for "i25" and, I must say, if I had to chose, I'd rather play "i25" then a perfectly re-created "i24."

It just fixes so many things. And while I would't agree with all the ways they handled no longer having a real-money or auction-house economy... for the most part, it's perfectly fine.

And while I haven't tried it, people who've been using i25's revamped Base-Builder have only raved about it.

If any group wants to have an i24 server, they'd be better off with i25 and just reverting or removing a few things they'd do differently to make it more like i24 rather than take i24 and making all the fixes already done in i25. IMO.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1395 on: April 26, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »

People don't 'line' up.  Elementary.

...and you missed a few. ;)

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:14:57 AM by Azrael »

Xringhitter

• Underling
« Reply #1396 on: April 26, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
(sweeps cobwebs n dust away from costume closet).....2909 days since I updated badges....would be nice to hit em again

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1397 on: April 26, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
I just finished reading the consolidated patch notes for "i25" and, I must say, if I had to chose, I'd rather play "i25" then a perfectly re-created "i24."

It just fixes so many things. And while I would't agree with all the ways they handled no longer having a real-money or auction-house economy... for the most part, it's perfectly fine.

And while I haven't tried it, people who've been using i25's revamped Base-Builder have only raved about it.

If any group wants to have an i24 server, they'd be better off with i25 and just reverting or removing a few things they'd do differently to make it more like i24 rather than take i24 and making all the fixes already done in i25. IMO.

Well, now the 'cat is out the bag' if Leandro or SCORE want to run a server with issue 25 and it's continued development, I'd be happy with that.

I think SCORE have shown good judgement in the releases of ICON, Paragon Chat (the SG base is superb work and points to how they would reverse engineer the rest of the game.)

It was 'taking time' and they 'kept it a secret' both things I won't condemn them for.

The 'work' they've done so far shows good judgement and common sense.

That doesn't mean the community can't enjoy or have 'as per shutdown' i23.  (Sorry, i24 which wasn't officially released?  So it isn't 'official' either...mere beta...the wider community didn't have that either due to the hand of 'god' or NC Soft.)  i24 nearly made it...but thanks to the preservation work of SCORE we have it.  (And the original brave dev' who leaked the plans to the Death Star...)  I'd like to know more about i25 personally.  And maybe if Tony V can sort out a deal with NC, SCORE can use Titan as the home of that dev' distro/strain/version.

I hope (and I think they will...) SCORE continue along their development path with i25 'Unbroken Shard'.  I think the last 6 years 'is about right' in terms of getting something out there.  Regardless of how it happened.  Sometimes in life, it takes how long it takes.  'When it's ready or when it's done.'

And while I'm 'pontificating' (that's what forums are for, eh?) :P

So, SCORE took the 'market' out the game.  Easier.  Makes sense to me.  We didn't have it in the early game.  Big deal.  That's more in line with heroes, Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark asides...

As someone noted above, the 'grey morality' of the universe (you believe what your politicians and mainstream media tell you, right?  Or that WWF is well rehearsed real?  Or that WWF and Politics are not so strangely related...) of the community contrasted with heroes in the game?  Meh.  *shrugs.  Heroes pick pocketing the goons they beat up to go trade and play 'wall street' Michael Douglas on the stock exchange.

And that isn't a quandary?  Noooo.....god bless crony capitalism.  Even the 'heroes' are at it...  *Biff, wham, wallop, *pick pockets the 'villain' and sells his 'moral gains' by short selling on the 'stock' exchange.

Lies and truths.  Truth depends greatly upon our point of view.  Especially after the way NC Soft treated the devs', the community and their customers.  In that context, I'm happy that a dev' leaked the code and happy that SCORE preserved the legacy that we are playing now.

Sure that's against the law.  Ahhh, naughty.  But it's ok for corporations to lobby and 'buy' politicians and stack the 'law' in their favour with ransome ware licence ware that sucks the life out of its host until it's a hollowed husk remains and leave it lying on the floor when they've extracted all they can from it.  (We have an 'empty' box with a client with no 'pulse' because 'It's dead Jim.')  Call it 'subscription' call it rental call it 'you don't own it' call it you don't own anything call it the odds are stacked against you.  But hey, it's the 'law' so it must be 'right'.  As somebody put it on the Discord (you have to look carefully amongst the blood lust and fever pitch...), 'Corporations aren't human.'  Deal with them accordingly.

I'm happy that brave 'patriots' leak the fact that our governments spy on us.  Some may condemn as traitors.

'I don't trust the government.  I don't trust alternatives.  It's not that I'm paranoid.  That's just the way it is.'  Fish.

What of it?

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:52:49 AM by Azrael »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1398 on: April 26, 2019, 10:14:01 AM »
Every villain is a hero of their own tale :p

But, of course. :P

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss