Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270950 times)

weenus

• Minion
  • the life of the search party.
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1080 on: April 22, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
If anybody needs to write a psych dissertation on mass panic they'd be well served to cut and paste the hell out of the discord server the past little while. they could have announced that the current measles strain has mutated and the vaccine is no longer effective and it'd cause less chicken littletry, if i may coin a term.

I think people are forgetting that us being able to play CoH over the weekend was ahead of most of the optimistic predictions last week. We just have to be patient. We're close to hitting that point where "you can't stop the signal" and NCSoft won't be able to snuff out all of the options we'll have.

I mentioned last week that the SCoRE team couldn't put the genie back in the bottle in regards to trust, but in retrospect I think NCSoft is the one who will fail to put the genie back in the bottle with CoH. The last week will either force them to turn a blind eye, take a more neutral stance, or solve the CoH demand with their own resources, but the ball is rolling now and we just have to watch over the coming weeks to see how this all plays out without flipping our collective wigs and making the situation any worse.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1081 on: April 22, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »
The discord is making me sick.  Leo was right to keep it a secret.  So many rude and undeserving people.  They have CoH back for a week and are already calling the people "spinless and cowards" for not keeping the servor up.  It's disgusting.  No thank you, no we appreciate you trying.  I hate to say it but after reading over this Discord.  The community doesn't deserve CoH.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #1082 on: April 22, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
The discord is making me sick.  Leo was right to keep it a secret.  So many rude and undeserving people.  They have CoH back for a week and are already calling the people "spinless and cowards" for not keeping the servor up.  It's disgusting.  No thank you, no we appreciate you trying.  I hate to say it but after reading over this Discord.  The community doesn't deserve CoH.
I had to close it out. The community is better than that. Those are some purpled-out, Incarnate-slotted, trolls who have invaded. I refuse to believe that what I was seeing in that chat is a reflection of who and what our community has become.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1083 on: April 22, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »

I agree. Then there are those like me who are grateful for being allowed to say hello, maybe one last time to the game and characters. What irks me, is this, there are those that dont care and want to see things burn. No matter the cost and who hurts. Last week I voiced my opinion and feelings and made peace with them. The server team has shown they are trustworthy, it time we should reward that with our own trustworthiness. I'm not saying we should kick their feet and bow down. Just remember it is them who are taking the extreme risk and not us.

I do hope Nc Soft will come to the table to talk about it. And make a honest and fair deal. I think this could happen. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #1084 on: April 22, 2019, 11:13:25 PM »
I'm stepping away from this for a bit.

I've got 3d printing I should be focusing on.

Don't let the asshats tear this community apart.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1085 on: April 22, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
I had to close it out. The community is better than that. Those are some purpled-out, Incarnate-slotted, trolls who have invaded. I refuse to believe that what I was seeing in that chat is a reflection of who and what our community has become.

You must not have been following what was happening on Facebook and Reddit this past week. Digital lynch mob pretty much sums it up, along with your friendly neighborhood online terrorists doxxing/harassing not just Leandro, but people whose only "crime" was being his knowable associates. But, hey, vigilantes are heroes; even if they come from 4chan, right? :-/

As I've said previously - If it wasn't for the CoHTitan community here, I'd be seriously challenged to continue believing that "community" was an appropriate word to describe the self-professed CoH "community" online.

weenus

• Minion
« Reply #1086 on: April 22, 2019, 11:14:26 PM »
It's never really fair to judge a community by the loud people making asses of themselves though. Think back to school, where one or two kids would be a disruptive while the rest of the class was just trying to get through the day. Did the one or two students really fairly represent everyone else in that room?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1087 on: April 22, 2019, 11:20:20 PM »
The discord is making me sick.  Leo was right to keep it a secret.

I find it to be extremely entertaining.

Wyrm

• Boss
« Reply #1088 on: April 22, 2019, 11:23:19 PM »
You must not have been following what was happening on Facebook and Reddit this past week. Digital lynch mob pretty much sums it up, along with your friendly neighborhood online terrorists doxxing/harassing not just Leandro, but people whose only "crime" was being his knowable associates. But, hey, vigilantes are heroes; even if they come from 4chan, right? :-/

As I've said previously - If it wasn't for the CoHTitan community here, I'd be seriously challenged to continue believing that "community" was an appropriate word to describe the self-professed CoH "community" online.
Oh, I'm disappointed in that mess as well. I just wasn't watching it play out in real time, after my wife left the house with tears in her eyes over the initial takedown news this afternoon.

I know what the people who love this game are capable of. I watched it, for years and years. It just happens that there are also people who enjoy tearing down things that other people love, and that's what I'm seeing.

There was (and is) a lot of anger over the shutdown and how we were treated. And you know how it goes. Anger to hate, hate to suffering, suffering to Gungans and midichlorians. None of us want that.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1089 on: April 22, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »
Remain calm and enjoy this drama as much as possible.  I think there is movie in all this somewhere.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1090 on: April 22, 2019, 11:26:07 PM »
Remember everyone, the discord is a reminder why we can't have nice things.

I find it to be extremely entertaining.

That is unfortunate.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #1091 on: April 22, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »
I always thought the community hype was overrated.  When some people talked about their ignore list, sounding like it was longer than their friends list, of course the community seemed great because those people overlooked the warts.  I was never in the in-circle of groups, so I saw a lot of elitist snobbery going on.  That doesn't mean the community was bad, especially compared to other MMOs, but then that bar was set very low.  I would call the COX community good, not great.

weenus

• Minion
« Reply #1092 on: April 22, 2019, 11:36:50 PM »
The discord server is also being ripped apart by the Reddit mob and the chan mob simultaneously.

Someone linked an 8chan thread where they are alternating between scoffing at the idea that they are being blamed for raiding the discord, blaming reddit for raiding the discord, and directing each other to continue raiding the discord. :|

Don't let external manipulation turn you against the community.

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #1093 on: April 22, 2019, 11:37:54 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly?  Whoever is running the server did not receive anything from NCsoft but shut the server down in a panic over something?

Any possible way their ISP mistook the traffic to and from the server as torrent activity and sent them a letter?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1094 on: April 22, 2019, 11:42:14 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly?  Whoever is running the server did not receive anything from NCsoft but shut the server down in a panic over something?

Any possible way their ISP mistook the traffic to and from the server as torrent activity and sent them a letter?

I am not sure anyone besides the people it's happening to have a full picture of everything.  Earlier they said it was big concerning legal problem than someone posted a screenshot of someone saying they deleted everything.  Not sure what the "scare" was but it sounded like it was out of reaction to the scare.  If it was the GDPR I don't blame them for being scared.  But that is just pure speculation, don't quote me as it being the GDPR.

Wyrm

• Boss
« Reply #1095 on: April 22, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »
I always thought the community hype was overrated.  When some people talked about their ignore list, sounding like it was longer than their friends list, of course the community seemed great because those people overlooked the warts.  I was never in the in-circle of groups, so I saw a lot of elitist snobbery going on.  That doesn't mean the community was bad, especially compared to other MMOs, but then that bar was set very low.  I would call the COX community good, not great.
That's your experience, and it's valid. I was talking about the community that surrounded the game; in-game, there were plenty of cliques to go around, and groups with different goals and ideas of "fun." But the game supported all of those, which I found/find fascinating.

The community surrounding the game is the one that organized charity drives, met up at cons, organized responses to the news of the shutdown, sent gifts to the devs, provided build advice, and spawned multiple "spiritual successors," mainly driven by volunteerism and a love of what we had.

So, yes. I had a lot of people on my "ignore" list, because their game play styles/values didn't match what I wanted to do or what I found fun, or because I thought they were obnoxious. The in-game community was just one aspect of the larger CoX community.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1096 on: April 22, 2019, 11:52:39 PM »
This is just in, there wont be anymore updates tonight, for 24 hours while they reorganize their approach.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

weenus

• Minion
« Reply #1097 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:42 PM »
While taking some steps back to figure out the path forward is a good idea, it's not great in the midst of the chaos, trolling, misinformation...

I'd almost consider just locking every channel on that discord until they have more info to go off of, the churn that results from this is going to be catastrophic unfortunately, and pointlessly.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1098 on: April 23, 2019, 12:07:38 AM »
Remember everyone, the discord is a reminder why we can't have nice things.

That is unfortunate.

It's all I've got right now.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1099 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
Hey guys. I've haven't been keeping up with the news lately. Does this means the private server is permanently gone?