Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270942 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1000 on: April 22, 2019, 03:26:42 AM »
Fly (but a slow fly compared to Sprint) at level 4.   That's a poor change.

Going off memory I think they altered the travel powers fo long time veteran players so that flight could be taken at L4....the fact that warshades can now access that power pool is great
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1001 on: April 22, 2019, 03:27:37 AM »
On the loading screen, all my characters are listed as being in Atlas Park 33.

A nice tribute.  Or an interesting bug.

A bit of both
In fearful COH-less days

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1002 on: April 22, 2019, 03:33:50 AM »
For some reason, people are begging to join super groups even knowing the server will be wiped.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1003 on: April 22, 2019, 03:54:59 AM »
For some reason, people are begging to join super groups even knowing the server will be wiped.

It's alright.  They're testing it.  Why not?
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

VileTerror

• Underling
« Reply #1004 on: April 22, 2019, 04:16:06 AM »
Super Groups are also a great way to arrange teams with players you come to rely on.

But really . . . I'm a touch confused here.  Erase the level-boosted characters?  Why are folks playing by the rules laid out back in the days of NCSoft's meddling?  Do we really feel a pressing need to adhere to design decisions implemented specifically to pad-out play time and sunk-cost fallacies?  I mean, the admin of any given server can set the rules for their server, of course, and maybe playing as close to how the game was at sunset is appealing to some people . . . but I kind of feel like we're missing the opportunity to play at our own pace.

Was this subject addressed anywhere else, perhaps?  Seems like it could be a contested concept.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1005 on: April 22, 2019, 04:25:43 AM »
I mean, the admin of any given server can set the rules for their server, of course...

You've answered your own inquiry.  While, sure, you can discuss it here, the admin for the public game server made their decision.  If you wish to appeal it, the COH Discord is the best route.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #1006 on: April 22, 2019, 04:27:13 AM »
Super Groups are also a great way to arrange teams with players you come to rely on.

But really . . . I'm a touch confused here.  Erase the level-boosted characters?  Why are folks playing by the rules laid out back in the days of NCSoft's meddling?  Do we really feel a pressing need to adhere to design decisions implemented specifically to pad-out play time and sunk-cost fallacies?  I mean, the admin of any given server can set the rules for their server, of course, and maybe playing as close to how the game was at sunset is appealing to some people . . . but I kind of feel like we're missing the opportunity to play at our own pace.

Was this subject addressed anywhere else, perhaps?  Seems like it could be a contested concept.

There was talk in the Discord, so if you want to learn more, read through old comments there, but essentially what happened was the admins suggested that there'd be a vote on whether or not to keep the characters, and a minor firestorm erupted. People are concerned, after the events of the past week, about elitism and fairness, especially given that some people have been able to get on whenever and others have had significant difficulties in getting on. It's regrettable, but as I understand it the decision is final.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1007 on: April 22, 2019, 04:36:06 AM »
Fly (but a slow fly compared to Sprint) at level 4.   That's a poor change.

Like someone else mentioned that wasn't a SCoRE change that was part of the game, I believe it was an I23 change.  The fly feels the same speed to me on my character that has it.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1008 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
Regarding travel powers at level 4: any wiki page for a travel power (e.g. https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Flight) notes that Issue 21 added a fifth power to the sets, and made the first three powers available at level 4.

By the way,. The Paragon wiki section for issue 24 is not complete, is there a list anywhere of all the changes that were implemented for issue 24?

Note that the actual page "Issue 24" is indeed relatively bare... for example, it doesn't include the Sorcery set planned for I24. But this page here: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Patch_Watchlist contains a list of every page on the wiki that was being tracked as part of I24 (as well as anything else that was likely to be patched in the future).

Edit: See also: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Unimplemented
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:05:48 AM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1009 on: April 22, 2019, 05:12:48 AM »
Everything is going down on April 27th at an as-of-yet undisclosed time.

That's barely enough time to level up a dozen 50's!!

There was talk in the Discord, so if you want to learn more, read through old comments there, but essentially what happened was the admins suggested that there'd be a vote on whether or not to keep the characters, and a minor firestorm erupted. People are concerned, after the events of the past week, about elitism and fairness, especially given that some people have been able to get on whenever and others have had significant difficulties in getting on. It's regrettable, but as I understand it the decision is final.

And this is something that I think most people are forgetting in their fervor: No more official Devs. The Devs were the ones who set the parameters of the game, attempted to keep it balanced, allowed for easy and difficult challenges.

But, when the code gets distributed so that 'anyone' can run the game and invite others to play... well players are going to find that one person has used the Dev powers to make everyone level 50, and another one won't let you make any Stalkers, and another one replaced all the Clockwork models with unicorns.

There are no more arbiters of how the game is supposed to be. Dev-ing and GM-ing and Modding will be wild and unpredictable. And assuredly in some cases, blatantly unfair.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1010 on: April 22, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »
That's barely enough time to level up a dozen 50's!!

And this is something that I think most people are forgetting in their fervor: No more official Devs. The Devs were the ones who set the parameters of the game, attempted to keep it balanced, allowed for easy and difficult challenges.

But, when the code gets distributed so that 'anyone' can run the game and invite others to play... well players are going to find that one person has used the Dev powers to make everyone level 50, and another one won't let you make any Stalkers, and another one replaced all the Clockwork models with unicorns.

There are no more arbiters of how the game is supposed to be. Dev-ing and GM-ing and Modding will be wild and unpredictable. And assuredly in some cases, blatantly unfair.

Yeah this is correct. While I am xpecting that all servers will have the play nice and don't cheat policies along with no trademark infringing characters, enforcement will vary per server.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1011 on: April 22, 2019, 05:48:35 AM »
They stated at the beginning there was a good chance the characters would be wiped. I don't think it is that big of a deal.  We haven't even had CoH back for a week I think anything we get at this point is nothing short of a blessing.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1012 on: April 22, 2019, 07:04:56 AM »
On the loading screen, all my characters are listed as being in Atlas Park 33.
A nice tribute.  Or an interesting bug.
I'm 99% sure it's a tribute.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1013 on: April 22, 2019, 07:59:59 AM »
I've been in 12+ alpha's, beta's, and tests, and i've never 'not' seen a wipe. I expected it. It is only starting after all.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1014 on: April 22, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »
My advice to NCSoft would be to sell non-exclusive, non-commercial licenses to anyone that wants one, for a reasonable fee based on concurrent users.

Obviously, we're talking about an honor system here.  But I think a lot of people would like to get legal.  I would buy a license just to protect myself.

Aye. 

Good idea.

But, a corporation...do something 'community' minded?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Azrael.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1015 on: April 22, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »

It's something only the true faithful would understand.

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #1016 on: April 22, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
It's something only the true faithful would understand.

You would think... but the number of people who ask elsewhere "What is Atlas Park 33?" is truly astounding.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1017 on: April 22, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »

It might be, but it was also a bug for a good bit of Saturday. People were having to reroll. Not sure if that's still the case as the newly minted, post-ap33 Mr.Vee is in Port oakes 2 at last check.

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #1018 on: April 22, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
   Does anyone know if the character wipe will allow us to create a new @global?  I didn't know the name of our first character would also be our global.  You can see where @CHARACTER NAME might cause some confusion...  :-[

Found a solution!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:30:46 PM by Vella »

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #1019 on: April 22, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
Between the server being taken down or crashing I got a Brute to 18, a Tanker to 12, and a Dominator to 8 while still having time  fulfill social/family obligations. The first 30 levels fly by, so recreating at this point is a minimal time loss.

I think my focus for the week will be deciding which characters to recreate, what new builds I want to try, and getting a little testing in on the new concepts to see if they handle properly.