Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262235 times)

Jetpack

• Underling
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #860 on: April 19, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
Would someone setting up something like say, a Patreon, where it's not a required donation but something where appreciative players could help towards costs on a regular basis, would that still be a gray area or would that stir up the legal hornet's nest?

Just so everyone knows, it's been noted on Discord that THERE IS NO PATREON FOR THIS AS OF NOW.  Watch out for scammers.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #861 on: April 19, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »
Yeah.  Got to be careful with that and how 'ANY' money is involved.

It's what caught out Nostralius when Blizzard sued over money being involved...

Azrael.

Yep basically it is "no money, no foul"

Ncsoft may try on general principal to shut this down but given that the code is already disseminated like the seed was at the end of sword art online one, they just need to sit back, grit their teeth, and realize they really screwed up with the shut down.

Now...if any private servers install graphics like billboards or graffiti that say "ncsoft sux" or something like that....then they might have a minor case in terms of slander but I am skeptical of that. Still, best not to hit the beehive too much
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #862 on: April 19, 2019, 10:55:12 PM »
I like all the ones posted so far...

But this remains my personal favorite.

https://youtu.be/292PZKiStsU

Lots of DC infringement in that one.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #863 on: April 19, 2019, 11:15:39 PM »
Reminder:

Hello! 

There have been developments about the first few pieces of the server project coming together.  The promise that something will happen by this weekend is getting closer to reality.

While we are working on several things concerning recent news, I do want to make one thing clear: Titan Network is NOT affiliated with the teams making something out of the SCORE Public Release.  As such, any posts of registering for bootleg/private servers, or bootleg/private server websites, and other places is NOT ALLOWED.

If you want to keep on top of progress of these teams, you can join the unofficial City of Heroes Discord to discuss specifically just that.  Posts with links to these servers or homepages to them will be deleted on sight.  That part has not changed.  This also applies to any software concerning such things, such as server-side code or assets.  We've never allowed those things to be posted here, regardless of current news or affairs.

Thanks for your time.

Please use the Unofficial City of Heroes Discord to organize.  I still have to remove links to the private server.  Sorry.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Fellstrike

• Underling
« Reply #864 on: April 19, 2019, 11:17:02 PM »
Sorry. I should have  checked the rules closer. Just didn't want folks to be left out.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #865 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:07 PM »
I understand. 
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #866 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:49 PM »
Reminder:

Please use the Unofficial City of Heroes Discord to organize.  I still have to remove links to the private server.  Sorry.

That was a link to the private? I really had no idea. I am very sorry, I thought it was an error on my end. Thank you btw Tahqyitz for clearing this up. I will stop trying to reg. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #867 on: April 19, 2019, 11:39:09 PM »
I'm Azrael and I'm a 'sweep-a-colic.'

*Confession.

Juicy mobs in?  Atlas.  Hollows.  Outcast and Trolls...  Perez.  Steel(!).  Talos.  Striga Isle.  Founders (snipers...)  P.Island.  Mages and Nemesis...

Ok.  I'll stop there...no...wait.  What about the sensational juicy mobs in Brickstown?

The mob sweeping capital?

Azrael.

Using a speedster to solo/pull those huge red ink mobs in Independence  -- the ones directly across the bay from the station -- man was there anything better.

C'mon you 20 guys, you can all chase me... oh you all want to go back to harass that lone civii  -- how about you last two?  Now there's only 18. Ha Ha lets do it some more!

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #868 on: April 19, 2019, 11:44:11 PM »
Servers up, after an, uh, extended maintenance window, but be prepared for crashing and queuing when we all get on at once.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:52:53 AM by Arkasas »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #869 on: April 19, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
Yes, people are entering the server - but it is not stable yet.

The download is slow as well. I am waiting for a while until things get smoothed out.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #870 on: April 19, 2019, 11:49:47 PM »

PS.  Sure.  Who DOESN'T remember Golden Girl 'hanging' in Atlas.  I never recalled her power sets though.  I'm sure I peaked.  But I don't remember.

Yeah, I BET you did!  Probably right after you peeked.  ;D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #871 on: April 19, 2019, 11:57:03 PM »
   Just want to pop in here and say "hi" for the first time. o/

Been lurking around the forums for many years now but recent events have encouraged me to join.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #872 on: April 20, 2019, 12:01:07 AM »
Welcome! There was a nice meat tray but then Ironwolf resurfaced.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #873 on: April 20, 2019, 12:10:45 AM »
Guys? If you've got the classic Superspeed/Superleap combo and you want to tour the City COMPLETELY on your return, you need something classically heroic - has ups and downs that match city transitions - and long enough for you to not reach the end before you're done.

Here ya go - :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAZO7oFOg5k

EDIT:  Alternately for a bit punchier version and shorter run, try this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyMJNXyiilc&t=1417s

And the third one in the set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQAM8F3bgc&t=148s

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #874 on: April 20, 2019, 12:34:44 AM »
However, they have to prove loss related to a FREE TO PLAY closed game that isn't being monetized and is running at zero cost to them.

They have to prove it in the USA.

Just to be clear. They don't have to prove that there's any "loss". All they have to prove is that someone is using their software and intellectual property without an explicit license to do so. If they claimed damages, then yeah, they might have to show how much damage, but just taking the server offline doesn't require any damages at all.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #875 on: April 20, 2019, 12:42:48 AM »
But it will be the I am Spartacus moment.

Server will just pop up even more no doubt.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #876 on: April 20, 2019, 12:44:41 AM »
But it will be the I am Spartacus moment.

Server will just pop up even more no doubt.

Exactly, the genie is out of the bottle, it can never be sealed back in
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #877 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:07 AM »
Well I sent an official letter to Paragon Studios on Live that I will reiterate here.

Anyone has my permission to use as a character name and concept any of the literary characters I have created.  I consider that "fair use."  (IMHO any writer who gets bent over their creations being used in fanfic or fanart or games is not thinking clearly.)

Bear in mind this does not include the characters any of my collaborators may have created, such as Red Saviour.  I can't speak for them, only for myself.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #878 on: April 20, 2019, 01:33:49 AM »
Well I sent an official letter to Paragon Studios on Live that I will reiterate here.

Anyone has my permission to use as a character name and concept any of the literary characters I have created.  I consider that "fair use."  (IMHO any writer who gets bent over their creations being used in fanfic or fanart or games is not thinking clearly.)

Bear in mind this does not include the characters any of my collaborators may have created, such as Red Saviour.  I can't speak for them, only for myself.

That is very kind of you :)  Not everyone is so giving with their IP's.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #879 on: April 20, 2019, 01:51:17 AM »

I did read and greatly enjoy your book series that was based (loosely) on the City of Heroes group of characters. But I for one don't intend to use any of them. Nevertheless, just for clarity, since you mentioned it, could you give a quick list of the ones that you don't mind people using versus the ones the that are NOT yours that you can't speak for? Or is that already outlined in the books or online somewhere?