Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262134 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #820 on: April 19, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »
Oh please. If there's a theme song for this, I dare you to find something better fitting than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tbJGItHag

I'm rather partial to this one myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hKPWrX85U8

Well, we went from some really bad things being done (rape and death threats are never justified) to something great.

An amazing week (understatement of the year).

Yeah it's a lot to take in, and I almost just walked my big lurky butt away from this community entirely because of how ugly it all got... I'm just glad the focus is back on where it should be- getting everyone back in the City again, because THAT'S the important thing.  :)

Lyc~

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #821 on: April 19, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
This is my "CoH Is Back!"song! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-iHTjTTyY

Taliseian

• Minion
« Reply #822 on: April 19, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
Here is my Theme Song recommendation.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqdzL1ThVbM

T

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #823 on: April 19, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
I am watching these events which interest as well. Let's see how it all turns out over the next few weeks.

My primary concerns have been touched on already, and I don't see a need to add more about them except I'd like to see over the next few weeks/months if the original IP holder(s) take any notice and/or any actions.

My other concerns are about me and where I am today, which has already been touched on by other some. The game is now pretty old; the technologies, animations, general graphics, style of the zones, and so on. MMO"s have made a lot of progress. Would it still have the same draw were I to play again?

My old characters, hrm, hard to say. As I recall, leveling wasn't too hard, nor was the incarnate system for the end game. It might be fun to start afresh. Otoh, some of those characters were dear friends I don't remember enough about; if my old account were made available to me I might find that a good thing.

The community will be different, would I still fit in? I was part of the RP-crowd (more or less, I was loosely connected towards the end) on Virtue. Will the roleplayers who're still interested find the same place to play? One of the nice things about the servers on Classic CoX was their different personalities. It would be a loss, imo, for them to become fully homogenized just because a critical population turns out to be necessary for server survival.

Would the developers supporting it learn to start building new content, or would be have to be satisfied with the (tremendous) amount of content it had at shutdown. If the former, would someone, or anyone, care to coordinate the general lore among the various new server/development efforts?

Would it end up as a short nostalgia run, or could it have a longer life? I don't know.

I think that the best way to approach it is to treat it as what it is - a retro classic that's a product of its time, with all the good and bad points that comes with it.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #824 on: April 19, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
The boldest of bold moves is the fact that if they have access to the complete code, then at least one of the Paragon devs did the right thing before the shutdown.

Amen.

Azrael.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #825 on: April 19, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
Doubtful.  I think Sentinel is keyed in to NCSoft's former servers.  It would need to be revised.

I hope it is revised.  I really enjoyed the output from the tracker.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #826 on: April 19, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
Hello! 

There have been developments about the first few pieces of the server project coming together.  The promise that something will happen by this weekend is getting closer to reality.

While we are working on several things concerning recent news, I do want to make one thing clear: Titan Network is NOT affiliated with the teams making something out of the SCORE Public Release.  As such, any posts of registering for bootleg/private servers, or bootleg/private server websites, and other places is NOT ALLOWED.

If you want to keep on top of progress of these teams, you can join the unofficial City of Heroes Discord to discuss specifically just that.  Posts with links to these servers or homepages to them will be deleted on sight.  That part has not changed.  This also applies to any software concerning such things, such as server-side code or assets.  We've never allowed those things to be posted here, regardless of current news or affairs.

Thanks for your time.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #827 on: April 19, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
I played about 90% solo and the thing I most enjoyed was the content starting at one and mostly street sweeping going up to about 30 -- I'd usually drop playing before getting heavily into Peregrine and I had a psychotic case of alt-itis... So I fully expect to start at level 1 with entirely new characters.

I'm Azrael and I'm a 'sweep-a-colic.'

*Confession.

Juicy mobs in?  Atlas.  Hollows.  Outcast and Trolls...  Perez.  Steel(!).  Talos.  Striga Isle.  Founders (snipers...)  P.Island.  Mages and Nemesis...

Ok.  I'll stop there...no...wait.  What about the sensational juicy mobs in Brickstown?

The mob sweeping capital?

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #828 on: April 19, 2019, 07:56:28 PM »
One adjustment I wouldn't mind seeing would be for everything from the Paragon Store to be folded into the actual game where it was suitable - like costume parts going into the costume creator, and so on - and for the rest of the store items, along with thee Paragon Rewards, to be added to a vendor or contact - someone like Ms. Liberty, for example.

That's a good call, Golden Girl.

Azrael.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #829 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
I am watching these events which interest as well. Let's see how it all turns out over the next few weeks.

My primary concerns have been touched on already, and I don't see a need to add more about them except I'd like to see over the next few weeks/months if the original IP holder(s) take any notice and/or any actions.

My other concerns are about me and where I am today, which has already been touched on by other some. The game is now pretty old; the technologies, animations, general graphics, style of the zones, and so on. MMO"s have made a lot of progress. Would it still have the same draw were I to play again?

My old characters, hrm, hard to say. As I recall, leveling wasn't too hard, nor was the incarnate system for the end game. It might be fun to start afresh. Otoh, some of those characters were dear friends I don't remember enough about; if my old account were made available to me I might find that a good thing.

The community will be different, would I still fit in? I was part of the RP-crowd (more or less, I was loosely connected towards the end) on Virtue. Will the roleplayers who're still interested find the same place to play? One of the nice things about the servers on Classic CoX was their different personalities. It would be a loss, imo, for them to become fully homogenized just because a critical population turns out to be necessary for server survival.

Would the developers supporting it learn to start building new content, or would be have to be satisfied with the (tremendous) amount of content it had at shutdown. If the former, would someone, or anyone, care to coordinate the general lore among the various new server/development efforts?

Would it end up as a short nostalgia run, or could it have a longer life? I don't know.

I got hooked by the entire CoX package.  Change it too much, too fast, and it may not have the allure.

Had you told me the day I bought the game that I'd be playing it 8 and half years later, I would have laughed at you.  Or declared you to be insane.

The game changed a lot over those years but I think always for the better except for some of the almost random nerfs and the pointless destruction of Galaxy City.

One addition I would make to the game would be a TF to free Earth Axis.  That seemed like a missed opportunity.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #830 on: April 19, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
Leandro said the store doesn't exist as it was and all of it was converted to buy stuff with Inf.

Fine by me. 

On the 'market thing.'  I always got slightly bristly about the premium (eg. Armageddon sets or any purple sets) IOs being tough to drop or get. 

I wished they'd just be like normal SO original.  But get them from higher premium NPCs like Atlas, Statesman i.e. the main Hero NPC in each zone who you talk to for levelling up for example.  It would give them more functionality.  And status.

I don't mind the purple assets being a premium.  But at least if I could buy them with influence, I could save up.  Most of the times they cost astronomic sums or where unavailable on the market at all.

Just having them at a set price premium at a premium hero NPC vendor should suffice?

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #831 on: April 19, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
I think that the best way to approach it is to treat it as what it is - a retro classic that's a product of its time, with all the good and bad points that comes with it.

Like Vinyl.

It's making a comeback, right?

You get the big album art...lyric sleeves...

...and turn it over half way.

CoH 'Legacy.'   It's a Classic.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #832 on: April 19, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
Memory coming back -- somebody mentioned the blimp and I went OMG THE BLIMP... How could I forget the BLIMP!   

I'm just remembering that a few releases before close they changed low-level Atlas content so you had instantly regen-ing Hellion mobs (and others) in some parts of Atlas and if you didn't run those missions, they were eternally stealing those crates or starting fires and there was nothing you could do about it.

Like I said to Horseman.

I was a top the Atlas Statue globe sipping a cup of tea at shutdown.

The atlas blimp was humming as it floated on by.

It seemed strangely poetic.

Azrael.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #833 on: April 19, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts about how this release will be distributed?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #834 on: April 19, 2019, 08:15:40 PM »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #835 on: April 19, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
One inevitable question that's going to come up is the one about developing the game - some people will want the game exactly as it was on midnight November 30th 2012, while other will want to "fix" or "improve" parts of it, as well as simply add more things to it.
Ideally, everyone could be kept happy with a CoH Classic server - which would effectively freeze the game as it was at the shutdown - and a CoH Evolution server, where some of the more technical and artistic members of the community could come together to add things to the game, like new power sets, enemies, zones, missions and so on.
For example, I don't think it'd be too far of a stretch to think that with a bit of work and imagination, Khallisti Wharf could be completed - and the Mission Architect system was actually based on the developers' own mission creation tool, so that's a pretty solid foundation that could lead to the possibility of new lore-friendly content being added to the game that could advance and deepen the existing storylines.

I'm sure something to that effect will happen in broad strokes.

You'll have 'vanilla.'  You'll have 'Unbroken' with the improved power sets.

And you're going to have people doing mind bending things like LUA mission scripting that takes missions to new levels.  New power sets.  New costumes. New character models.

And?

A zone creator.  A map creator.  A mission creator.

All to come in time.  Once a stable i24 has been re-forged?  Tool sets will be able to modify and dev' stuff quicker.

It's nothing the 3d engine modding community hasn't been doing for a long while now.

With shattered fragments of glass preventing the take down.

Azrael.

PS.  Sure.  Who DOESN'T remember Golden Girl 'hanging' in Atlas.  I never recalled her power sets though.  I'm sure I peaked.  But I don't remember.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #836 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #837 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
I don't think you have to worry, I think you will get Classic, Modded and everything under the sun now.

From what I saw last night - I want to go with Allita (sp) and whatever she/he develops. They seems to be very purposeful. In fact they said we are going to do this first server setup completely the wrong way to find out the pitfalls - annotate those errors and then do it the right way so that is will be more stable.

It impressed me that they knew before they did it that it would cause issues but that those issue would highlight what needed to be done to get it right. That takes incredible knowledge and depth of understanding to troubleshoot something this complex so easily.

And like that.

Azrael.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #838 on: April 19, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
Here is the issue I can see NCSoft having:

If the pirate server is not for profit, playing a FREE TO PLAY GAME and not making any money from a closed game - what exactly does NCSoft suffer as loss?

I have been running this through my head the last few days:

1. no market to monetize
2. no monthly fees
3. no merchandise sold
4. no one paid for running the server
5. no competition with the same game running currently - I can see the ads now FREE FOREVER TO PLAY biting them in the butt

How would they show actual loss?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #839 on: April 19, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
I was thinking from the point of view of helping to keep the community together, it'd be awesome if CoH Classic and CoH Evolution were like the hub of a network of fan-run servers, surrounded by crazily modded "elseworld" servers, so that players could help and support each others ideas and work, rather than everyone going off on their own and scattering the community into little groups.

It might happen that way.  We'll have to see how it 'evolves.'

Some are going to want it 'as it was.'  Some are going to be naughty and mod it.  And then the people who get bored of it as 'it was' will want to stick a toe in the water...  Basically i24.  'Legacy.'  And 'i25' 'Unbroken.' 

And yes.  All the DC style alt' Earths a, b, c, d, e, Earth 2 (where the original Golden Age heroes retired to...) 3, z, 4, GG...etc.

...and you're going to get the code junkies who are going to go nuts with it.

And shards?

More than the grains of sand on the Earth. 

Preserve.  At all costs.

Azrael.