Author Topic: The Orville Season 2  (Read 13796 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: The Orville Season 2
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
Back to bad.  I'm not even sure the credits made sense in that episode.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 07:09:25 AM »
The episode started out good, but went downhill after Kelly, at the state dinner, mentioned her and Bortus' birthdays are coming soon which coincided with the planet's society bad "thing".  There's so many things that could have been done better with very little effort.

Seth needs a technological consultant (or a new one), and a philosophy consultant especially concerning religion.  I know, he should borrow Henry from Madam Secretary. :)   

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
The episode started out good, but went downhill after Kelly, at the state dinner, mentioned her and Bortus' birthdays are coming soon which coincided with the planet's society bad "thing". 

Yeah, that's where even my suspension of disbelief hit a wall.  Imprisoning aliens when you could just kick them off your planet and not risk starting a war made no sense.  And there was a more obvious and less ridiculous solution to the problem, too.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Tried. Couldn't make it past 5 minutes. It's suspension breaking idiotic to "first contact" a civilization just because they can send a radio signal.

Back to ignoring this monstrosity of a series.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
The ending struck me as the laziest part.  Because a solar sail made a fake star appear, we're having birthday cake on the bridge.  Nevermind whatever philosophical coda could have been gained at the end concerning that planet.  Just "screw that place".

The care that went into the episode with Bortus's trial concerning his now son was far better thought out that this one.  This time, he's ripping off Voltaire.  And TOS, which had technical limitations to their storytelling that The Orville doesn't face.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:30:58 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 01:27:47 PM »
Coexistence is futile.  You will be annihilated.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
Coexistence is futile.  You will be annihilated.

That was a great episode. However, it felt more of a season final then an episode in the beginning of a season.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
Well, it's sort of the mid-season start. There are 14 episodes this season.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »

That was a great episode. However, it felt more of a season final then an episode in the beginning of a season.

It's the 8th episode of the season, so it's hardly the beginning in any case.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
It's the 8th episode of the season, so it's hardly the beginning in any case.

I think you missed the important part, where I wrote "it felt like a season final." I admit that I miswrote the beginning season.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 02:35:15 AM »
This is the sort of episode I've really been waiting for.  Meanwhile, there's a Fox executive fuming in his office somewhere because he didn't get his weekly dose of fart jokes.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 02:50:38 AM »
And the solution will be that the boys will manage to trick the intellectually superior Issac and infect him with a virus which will spread through the entire race. It will be the three laws of robotics.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
And the solution will be that the boys will manage to trick the intellectually superior Issac and infect him with a virus which will spread through the entire race. It will be the three laws of robotics.

Or since they know they can't beat him, they'll make him play a game against himself until he comes to the conclusion that no one would win.

Or they'll change his mind with the power of love.

Or it'll turn out that all of this is just a final test for those unanswered questions.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
Or none of this is actually happening -- it could just be giant simulation.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
All the Kaylon ships will show up around Earth, tension builds the longer they wait to fire, then suddenly they all change to look like Mr. Potato Head.

Surprise!  It's a prank!

Then they'll hurry off and over the comms will be heard, "To the Krill home world and let's light up like a 1000 stars!".

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
Okay, so it wasn't a prank.  I'm glad it wasn't.

But it was one awesome episode (Identity, pt 2).  It needed another 10 minutes, but perhaps that is on the cutting room floor and will make it into the director's cut on the DVD.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
I was surprised they didn't cop out on the Kaylon threat.  And this two parter was pretty good all around.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »
I wonder how much they spent on the effects in the space battle.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »
Surely the Krill are going to take advantage of the now decimated fleet by the end of the season? Avis demands it!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2019, 06:13:24 PM »
I dunno, but during the episode I kept thinking the Krill looked familiar and it finally dawned on me that they reminded me of Scorpius from Farscape.