Author Topic: So I said yes to install the new update and...  (Read 2453 times)

Nightfall

• Underling
So I said yes to install the new update and...
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:46:22 AM »
I got this error:
ParagonChat.exe - Entry Point Not Found
"The procedure entry point ReleaseSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNAL32.dll."
Now I cannot run Paragon Chat.
Okay, I admit I have no idea what this is since I am not real computer savvy....does anyone know what might have happened here?
Paragon Chat had been operating perfectly until I said yes to install the new update this evening.
Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: So I said yes to install the new update and...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:48:19 AM »
Still running XP I take it?

I'll have to check and see if one of the new libraries is calling that somehow. I thought I had configured liblzma to use Win95/XP-compatible threads instead of Vista+ threads, but maybe something else is referencing it.

In the meantime, since the upgrade never finished, you can probably find a ParagonChat.exe.old inside of the Bin directory. You can delete ParagonChat.exe and replace it with the .old one (rename it to remove the .old).

Nightfall

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Hey Codewalker - thanks for the fast response!
Yep, I have to be the only person I know still running XP, LOL!
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but when you say I can find an old ParagonChat.exe inside of the "Bin directory", where are you referring to exactly? I have looked in the base directory where all the Paragon Chat files are, and can find no ParagonChat.exe file or ParagonChat.exe.old file (I do see a Paragon Chat error bitmap image file).
Unfortunately, when I initially loaded Paragon Chat I did not first set up a directory for it and the files are all scattered in the "my documents/ downloads directory".
Am I looking in the correct place?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
In the place where you have Paragon Chat installed, you should see 'Bin', 'Client', 'Config', 'Database', 'Piggs', 'Screenshots', etc. The .old file will be inside Bin.

If you have a shortcut that launches PC, you can go to properties on it and then click the "Open File Location" button, that should take you right there.

If all else fails, try downloading and running the installer. It should give you a Repair option that will replace the copy you have with the latest version.

This should hopefully be fixed in the 1.1.0.3 update that was just released.

Nightfall

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:52:35 AM »
Okay, renaming the .old file didn't work, so I still had the installer and ran it - as you said, I used the repair option and it let me replace my copy with the latest - everything works correctly now.
Really appreciate the advice - thanks!