Author Topic: The Base Love Wish List  (Read 16125 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
The Base Love Wish List
« on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
I admit, I was pretty into SG bases on live. Not as much as some of the more prolific (insane?) builders, but I made my share of unique bases. Once Paragon Chat has "as good as live" bases, which we're already fairly close to minus teleporters and SG emblems, I have a laundry list of 'base love' ideas I always wanted us to get but we never did.

So what's on your wish list? This is just brainstorming here, there's no guarantee any of this will get done, but more a place I can mine for feasible ideas. It doesn't matter if your idea is big, small, amazing, stupid, completely insane, or even if the devs invoked the standard code rant and told you point blank it was impossible, I want it! The pie's the limit as far as bases are concerned.

* NOTE: Please no requests for adding specific items. Rolling that up under a "new items" entry and will address which ones if/when that becomes possible.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:56:28 AM by Codewalker »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: The Base Love Wish List
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:37 PM »
The Big List:
  • Ability to place doorways next to each other, like the old double door bug
  • Adjustable grid sizes for position snapping
  • Adjustable angle increments for rotation snapping
  • Change the room unit size
  • Grouping items together and moving (or duplicating!) them as a unit.
  • Multiple "floors" with doors that connect them.
  • New Items
  • Placeable permanent NPCs
  • Real water
  • Rotating items in all 3 dimensions instead of just XZ plane
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:01:46 AM by Codewalker »

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:38 PM »
A smaller grid for the floor/roof levels on the "Room Section" UI, to include filling in the "wall" portion to create a barrier in the room would be pretty cool.
I am a defender and so can you.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:22:07 AM »
1: Static placeable NPC's (looooong shot i know) so i can have door guards and stuff - so i can build 'missions' for my friends to RP with visual representation

2: Placeable water so i can build pools

3: More vehicles and stuff to be placed - like the static parked cars/police cars/trucks and the vanguard tanks and choppers.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 03:55:30 AM »
Oh, I should mention, please no requests for specific items in this thread. I'm going to add a "new items" entry to cover all 10,000 or so things that could be added, and if/when that becomes possible will figure out a way to get community input on prioritizing them or farming out the effort to identify and prep them.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 04:01:13 AM »
A smaller grid for the floor/roof levels on the "Room Section" UI, to include filling in the "wall" portion to create a barrier in the room would be pretty cool.

LOL, of course the first request would be the ONE thing that I'd probably classify under 'nearly impossible' myself.

The reason is that the rooms are assembled out of room-square sized geometry pieces. So shrinking the size of the basic room block would mean creating all new geometry for floors, ceilings, walls, trim styles, etc. that is smaller but perfectly matches the existing stuff.

But I did specifically say to ask for anything, so I'll toss it up on the wish list. :)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:09 AM »
1: Static placeable NPC's (looooong shot i know) so i can have door guards and stuff - so i can build 'missions' for my friends to RP with visual representation

Probably not as farfetched as you think, since that's pretty much what turrets are.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
A "hook" that lets a process send an IQ to each members of a base channel that instructs them to reload the base map with a new map.

The idea being that when certain interactive conditions are met, a manager process can change the environment around those characters as a result.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
Also, replacable art for paintings and posters.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »
Biggest wish is that items with logos (banners and glass) have an option for no logo. Sometimes a girl just wants a full-windowed observation room without pesky logos.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »
Also, replacable art for paintings and posters.

That would be a great feature for those of us with an extensive screenshot collection!

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
Included in that "placable NPC" request, maybe some pets? Anything from the Icon popmenu Pets submenu: dogs, wolves, lions, ligers, fairies, dones, clockworks, demonlings, etc.

And maybe placable FX? Like an area of fog or something.

If at all possible. Don't want to sound greedy.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
LOL, of course the first request would be the ONE thing that I'd probably classify under 'nearly impossible' myself.

Well, while I'm at it...

Copying/pasting a room and its contents.
I am a defender and so can you.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
Well, while I'm at it...

Copying/pasting a room and its contents.

That's actually a lot easier than some of the other ideas in this list.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 04:48:15 AM »
Ability to place objects in a doorway (like lights, floor tiles, etc.) There's always a 18'' segment that floor tiles, slow fields, lights, etc will not reach

Also agree with slickriptide - ability to put external images (JPG, PNG, GIF) in as an object. (Obviously would have to have a real size limit or your base files would get unwieldy REALLY fast) :)

Bitters

• Celtic Captain 2017
  • Minion
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »
The ability to scale objects.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:04 AM »
Since "anything goes" is the mantra... Had this idea for a while when the game was live.

An evolution of SHIFT-Drag, I thought a "pseudoplane" (for lack of a better term) might make floated object placement faster.  Either a mode switch to turn on a slider, or a Z-Index input box that has two up/down arrows (one for fine control, the other "snaps" to common heights equal to counters, desks, or another object you can pick).  This way, every object you place is only on X and Y placement no matter where or how you are, and Z is directed by the pseudoplane control (every object you move or add floats by default at the given level).  The UI could be a glowing grid at the pseudoplane level (the lit up area being the 'floor of the plane'), or visible only when placing an object, or a 'laser line' around all edges of the room indicating it's on.  Or nothing, it's just on or off.

Questions: would stacking still work on the pseudoplane, thereby making it not 100% effective when building close to floated objects, or would stacking be defeated in programming (if that can even be done)?  An annoyance to turn pseudoplane off when you DO want to stack, so I could see that as a downside to the approach.  Also, negotiating X/Y limits like doorways.  Finally, I'd imagine a one-button kill switch would be needed for it in case something places wrong and pseudoplane screws with the repair because you grabbed an object NOT on the plane and dragged it up, or could it only allow new items to be placed and not affect existing ones? (Again, is that even possible to program into the behavior?)

Why?  The ability to build pseudo floors quickly from room to room.  Or having objects at 2-3 fixed levels floating above (Harry Potter-esque lighting over dining tables) executed consistently from place to place.

There's my idea.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 04:41:26 AM »
There are items, like stacks of papers, that "float" over things like counters and conference tables. I'd like to be able to place them properly instead of this "snap-to" grid. Having a choice toturn snap-to-grid off would be great.

And the big round tables with the giant-sized chairs could use resizing for normal folk.

Kawless

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »
- Working teleporters!
- Have power generation and control working to make said teleporters functional.
- A command to take a single hovering cabinet and create a floor from it to cover a single room,
      generating as many cabinets as are needed.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
I was thinking of the requests to be able to place NPCs in bases and had an idea.  Wonder if it would be possible to capture a base with toons in it? Toons are made of an assemblage of parts in various orientations at various heights, just like the base pieces.  If you could capture those parts in the positions they were in (sitting, standing, lying) and possibly the emote they were doing, you could populate the base with persons doing their jobs.  Call it /savebasetoons  .  Move the toons, and /savebasetoons again to record the new positions.

I'd love to station some toons at their desks in Entry Control and Central Control.