Author Topic: SOLO: A Star Wars Story  (Read 3726 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
SOLO: A Star Wars Story
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

So, what'd everyone think?

I was pleasantly surprised with what we got.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »
I haven't seen it yet but I must say Disney really knows how to mil....er take advantage of their properties.

Lucas took 30 something years to make 6 films and Disney made 4 films in about 6.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »
I'm gonna catch this one later streaming.  Just not excited enough about it to bother with the theatre.  Plus, my mind really rebels against Woody Harrelson in Star Wars for some reason.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:42 AM »
It was.... good. Not great but good. I swear I could name most of the movies it's emulating but it does that well. Sadly it's a film less made up of characters and more a series of character traits that say stuff which detracts as most of the people in it seem shallow and very predictable. Still I can't say I wouldn't recommend seeing the film, but it's more a matinee film and don't go in with high expectations.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:47:00 AM by HalcyonS »

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
I really have one major problem with the film... 

Spoiler for Hidden:
They jam packed this thing with all the "big deal" events in Solo's life.  Everything every fan has ever had a question about, like, "how'd he get the Falcon from Lando," and "How did he meet Chewbacca," and "How did he meet Lando," seemingly occurred in this one "adventure".  There were even questions answered that fans have never asked, like, "How'd he get that last name" and "Why does he always shoot first?" 

I mean, it's silly that seemingly every significant event in this character's life, every single event that made him the character we know, took place in this one "adventure."

Otherwise, except for the mis-fire of Lando's droid (what an *ugh* of a character) the film was fine for what it was.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
They jam packed this thing with all the "big deal" events in Solo's life.  Everything every fan has ever had a question about, like, "how'd he get the Falcon from Lando," and "How did he meet Chewbacca," and "How did he meet Lando," seemingly occurred in this one "adventure".  There were even questions answered that fans have never asked, like, "How'd he get that last name" and "Why does he always shoot first?" 

I mean, it's silly that seemingly every significant event in this character's life, every single event that made him the character we know, took place in this one "adventure."

Otherwise, except for the mis-fire of Lando's droid (what an *ugh* of a character) the film was fine for what it was.

I thought according to the original film he doesn't shoot first anymore.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »
I thought according to the original film he doesn't shoot first anymore.

That's certainly not the way it is in the *original* film.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
That's certainly not the way it is in the *original* film.

Well you know what I meant. The SE versions are the original films as far as Lucas is concerned.

The only DVD's I still own are the ones with the original versions without all of Lucas's mucking about.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
I don't think Lucas' concerns are a concern these days.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:51:35 AM »
I don't think Lucas' concerns are a concern these days.

That is true.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:

YES!
Spoiler for Hidden:
It makes it so that Han did nothing else for the 10 years until ANH, except upgrade the Falcon and get in debt with Jabba.

But I really liked L3-37, but did she really need to be called "Leet" in Leetspeak? Really?
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
YES!
Spoiler for Hidden:
It makes it so that Han did nothing else for the 10 years until ANH, except upgrade the Falcon and get in debt with Jabba.

But I really liked L3-37, but did she really need to be called "Leet" in Leetspeak? Really?

He went straight from this adventure to the Cantina.  That's how he's in debt to Jabba, a 10 year running unpaid bar tab.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 08:05:03 PM »
YES!
Spoiler for Hidden:

I could understand them doing that if they aren't sure they're going to have sequels. I know the actors are all signed on for two more films, but it also hasn't performed well at the box office (for a SW movie). Better to get all those questions answered and hope for sequels to expand upon things, than to answer a couple of questions then not get the opportunity to answer the rest.

I saw the movie a few nights ago, and I loved it....probably more than Infinity War or even Deadpool. It probably helped I went in not expecting much. The final major reveal had me like  :o

Spoiler for Hidden:
I watched TCW and Rebels, so I know that guy's backstory, but still I really didn't expect to see him in a movie again. Much less this one.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
This finally came to Netflix!  And I thought it was fun.  Only two things bugged me:

1.  Was that really supposed to be Darth Maul?  Shouldn't he be long gone at this point?

2.  When Han was escaping through the crowd towards the beginning and he grabbed a hat, they totally should've used a battered old fedora.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
What bugged me the most is that they squeezed the best things of Han's life into one adventure/movie. He meets his BFF, Lando, and gets his ship all at once? Kind of cheapens the character, imo.

Yes, that was Maul.
Yes, he "should" have been long gone. But he isn't. *cue dramatic music*
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »
1.  Was that really supposed to be Darth Maul?  Shouldn't he be long gone at this point?
Maul manages to survive long enough to be a pain until just before the events in A New Hope.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov