Author Topic: Gotham by Gaslight  (Read 1529 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Gotham by Gaslight
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
Not bad, not particularly good. Story's completely different from the comic but both were fairly mediocre. Mignola's art style in the book fits better than the Timmverse animation. Eminently skippable.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Gotham by Gaslight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
Was unaware of this.  Will have to glance at various services to see if it can be rented yet.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:00:40 AM »
Alas, it doesn't seem to be available to rent just yet, but after watching the trailers I gotta say: "Timmverse animation"?  Where?  Bruce's eyes, maybe?  Timm may have been involved beyond apparently doing voicework, but that's certainly not the Timmverse style.  It did look like it needed better shading for any sort of atmosphere, though, which Mignola's work usually has in spades.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:32:03 AM »
wasn't TAS vintage but looks similar to a lot of the other stuff. certainly doesn't look as steampunky as Mignola's.

if you're determined to watch it i'd really wait til it shows up on a service you sub to. it's too meh to spend extra money on.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:12 AM »
The DC animated movies don't reliably show up on my subbed services for free, but they do eventually become rentable.  I certainly won't buy it, but it's getting enough decent reviews that I'll check it out.  Having not seen the original Elseworlds comic, I won't have any expectations going in at least.  It can't be worse than the Damien Wayne garbage.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
yah it's not worse than the Damien stuff. it does have the one benefit over the comic that it doesn't introduce a new character to be obvious villain.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »
Hadn't heard about this one, but just watched the trailer. I will say, if Conroy is unavailable Bruce Greenwood is my next favorite Batman VA.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:12:18 PM »
Wasn't Gaslight the first 'Elseworlds' story. Before they were just imaginary.