Author Topic: Black Vulcan... er, Lightning season 1  (Read 13422 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Black Vulcan... er, Lightning season 1
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
The music is terrible until it gets so cheesy bad that it's awesome.  I kinda like the suit with the gold trim we get a glimpse of on tape better than the one with glowing bolts.  All in all, though, I think it was a good first episode.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Black Lightning
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:43:14 PM »
Wow that was an amazing pilot episode! I'm speechless. I really don't know what to say about this pilot. It's a great episode and I highly encourage you guys to watch it! So Black Lighting is an Electric/Electric Blaster.  8)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Re: Black Vulcan... er, Lightning season 1
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize there was already a thread. welp

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
<moderator hat>
I merged the two threads.
</moderator hat>

I watched it this morning and I like it.

There's a distinctly different feel from the other DC shows stemming from the premise that he's not in his 20s and didn't just recently discover his powers and decide to start fighting crime.  He's an old pro coming out of retirement.  He already knows what his powers and do and he employs them in a manner that shows he's pretty obviously comfortable with them.

The character struggle here won't be on whether he can find a way to generate more electricity than he did last week ("Run faster, Barry."), it'll be on trying to balance the responsibilities of his very well established family and public lives with the hero life.  And I'm sure the promise he made his ex-wife is going to come up again, even if she did let him off the hook this one time.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:50:36 AM »
I liked it. Hope the series is as good.

Is BL on Earth 1 or Supergirl's Earth? If not then another Earth they can have for a crossover.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:11:22 AM »
Say, where do I recognize the tailor from...

::checks IMDB::

Oh, right... all of the things.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 06:48:33 AM »
I liked it. Hope the series is as good.

Is BL on Earth 1 or Supergirl's Earth? If not then another Earth they can have for a crossover.

one would think SG's would be more likely since the Flash one doesn't have free range metas.

I liked the premiere mostly but I'm worried that you can already see the seeds of Smallville 6.0 brewing.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
one would think SG's would be more likely since the Flash one doesn't have free range metas.

I liked the premiere mostly but I'm worried that you can already see the seeds of Smallville 6.0 brewing.

'free range metas' I like that.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
If I recall, it's been stated that there are currently no plans to cross over Black Lightning with the existing DC properties currently on-air.  I suspect that will change if it's popular enough to make it to season 2.  That would also seem to indicate that this takes place on one of the other Earths we haven't been introduced to yet.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
Whatever world he is on, he isn't the only one with powers.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:02 AM »
I went in not knowing how good this was going to be but I had my hopes and I have to say I was very pleased with the show and thought it was pretty good. Plus come on... he shot him with a harpoon gun!

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
If I recall, it's been stated that there are currently no plans to cross over Black Lightning with the existing DC properties currently on-air.  I suspect that will change if it's popular enough to make it to season 2.  That would also seem to indicate that this takes place on one of the other Earths we haven't been introduced to yet.

They said the same thing about Supergirl, if I recall correctly.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
It made more sense with Supergirl as it was on a different network the first season.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
They said the same thing about Supergirl, if I recall correctly.
Yup.

The biggest hurdle in crossing over with Supergirl at the time was that Supergirl filmed in Los Angeles while Flash and Arrow film in Vancouver.  When they switched networks with Supergirl, they also joined the rest of the properties up in Vancouver.

Black Lightning is currently filming in Atlanta, so there are logistics issues with any crossovers similar to the ones they had with Supergirl in season 1.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:16:49 AM »
Whoa Nellie!

Let's at least see the second episode before we get into a frenzy about a potential crossover!

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
I have to admit I wasn't sure how the show would be but I was pleasantly impressed with the first episode. I like how he seems to have a good handle on what his powers can do as well as... well who doesn't enjoy seeing someone shot with a harpoon?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
Whoa Nellie!

Let's at least see the second episode before we get into a frenzy about a potential crossover!

How dare you, we're trying to have an internet over here :P

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »
Electrical melee is a great power set for low budget TV.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
Electrical melee is a great power set for low budget TV.

Yeah. In a way I hope they don't eventually do a crossover.

The 'feel' of the show wouldn't really fit in with the Flash or Supergirl or Legends. Arrow maybe, since its a similar type.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
It's a long shot but could we end up seeing 'Black Lightning and the Outsiders'?  Or perhaps just the 'Outsiders'?