Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 12569 times)

GamingGlen

• Boss
Re: The Orville
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »
Their undercover antics were cringe worthy, but as pointed out by posters in reddit, those two are not trained undercover operatives and probably quite nervous.  So I'll give them some slack.  As far as why their odd behavior was accepted by the Krill was that the Krill did not know of the deception, but we did.  People can act oddly, even Krill.

At least there was no "open this jar of pickles" line in this episode.  I don't mind it as a running gag, but not in every episode.

I liked the female Krill teacher.  Kirk, I mean Ed, blew his chance to have sex with an alien "babe".    :D

I also liked the Krill leader and priest.  I wasn't too crazy about the "space vampire" thing, since I hate the concept, but that's me.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
I think it is the best Trek I have seen since STNG (although I did like the first reboot movie).

I look forward to the next episode just like I did for STNG.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 08:56:27 PM »
A good episode this week.

It's good they are fleshing the Krill out a little.

I think if I was a crew member on the Orville, I'd be putting in for a transfer now.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
Interesting video posted by Marc Zicree who wrote on TNG and DS9.  He discusses The Orville and Discovery.  Brief mention at the beginning of some of the people that are working on each show that also worked on Star Trek and some discussion of how each of the shows compares to their predecessors.  Even a mention of Babylon 5 when he talks about the cost of producing an episode of Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKsdc1VATg
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
Interesting video posted by Marc Zicree who wrote on TNG and DS9.  He discusses The Orville and Discovery.  Brief mention at the beginning of some of the people that are working on each show that also worked on Star Trek and some discussion of how each of the shows compares to their predecessors.  Even a mention of Babylon 5 when he talks about the cost of producing an episode of Discovery.

I agree with his take on the shows, and I find The Orville more appealing then Discovery. It's like they took Roddenberry's vision of the future and just threw it away. I have to wonder if Majel was still alive, would she have made some noise about this? I honestly enjoy The Orville much more. To me it's Star Trek, without being Star Trek in name.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »
I agree with his take on the shows, and I find The Orville more appealing then Discovery. It's like they took Roddenberry's vision of the future and just threw it away. I have to wonder if Majel was still alive, would she have made some noise about this? I honestly enjoy The Orville much more. To me it's Star Trek, without being Star Trek in name.

Star Trek, has always been a bit preachy.  "We must obey the prime directive" non-sense.

Orville, feels more human.
Like imagine you get your first command.
And your ex-wife is your executive office.
"You have the bridge, number one, and half my stuff."

And their enemy, The Krill, perfect enemy type.
Star Trek kept making friends with their enemies.

But at times, it feels a little like "Family Guy".

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:53 AM »
And their enemy, The Krill, perfect enemy type.
Star Trek kept making friends with their enemies.

Star Trek is American Shonen. 

"Over warp 9?!"
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
Larry and I just started watching The Orville.

I absolutely adore it.

I'm old enough to have seen STO first run.  The Orville is STO, if STO had been written with modern effects, by modern writers.  Every episode is a love letter to STO.  And I am absolutely astounded at how good Seth MacFarlane is as the captain.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
Alright, I'm totally upvoting that episode.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
I was kind of meh with it.  I get what they were aiming for, but so many plot holes.

So you're stuck with the votes your entire life?   They could have kept John got a few minutes and waited to get those last X down votes.  Evidently up votes don't counter down votes.

Wouldn't the officials have found out about his counterfeit badge counters?  They didn't bother to check his identity and found him to be not in the system?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 04:43:10 AM »
The public downvoted identity checks and overanalysis.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »
Watched the first episode of the show. It was pretty good with a couple of jokes thrown in.  I'm surprised to see an hourlong comedy. That's pretty unusual.

I like the characters and how they're poking fun at what's going on.  I agree that it's being done with love and respect for the original material. I'll be watching more episodes. :)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
Watched the first episode of the show. It was pretty good with a couple of jokes thrown in.  I'm surprised to see an hourlong comedy. That's pretty unusual.

I like the characters and how they're poking fun at what's going on.  I agree that it's being done with love and respect for the original material. I'll be watching more episodes. :)

Right.  This is obviously meant to be a near perfect homage to TOS. The jokes are in there to maintain its status as a parody because as a parody they can mimic the look and feel of the original.  If the jokes weren't there they would be shut down in an instant because they are too close to being a copy.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »
It's not close enough to Star Trek that it would be shut down. The only thing about Trek IP that's protectable are its setting-specific, copyrighted, and trademarked names and likenesses, and The Orville doesn't come within a lightyear of any of them.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 04:27:18 AM »
The Orville has already been renewed for a second season.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
So last night's episode was pretty good.

The balance between the humor and straight drama is still a bit uneven, but I think they're getting better.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Still, the only thing that's made me even chuckle through the whole series was cutting off Gordon's leg in ep 5. And I like it that way.

Latest episode was a really good story. More Isaac, please.

But really, more John LaMarr. There really has been almost no development there.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:20 AM »
I think of it more as a homage to Star Trek TNG, borrowing a lot but stealing nothing. I will give a bow to Seth for the huge brass balls it took just to pitch something so unorthodox and wildly ambitious. Bet he had to call in every marker he had to get this going. I'm gonna give it time to see how it does, but so far I'm really impressed... and entertained... and even at times awed.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
So, I wonder if the Krill already knew where Earth was?  If not, I hope that Gordon telling that kid won't bite them later on...

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:59 PM »
We don't even know if Gordon was being sincere.

And frankly, every time someone from Earth chats with someone in space they're giving their location away. It makes keeping it secret almost impossible.