Author Topic: Thor Ragnarok  (Read 1582 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Thor Ragnarok
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:22:38 AM »
My new favorite Marvel teaser trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

"He's a friend from work."

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Thor Ragnarok
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
Feels like they're trying to make Thor into Guardians of the Galaxy. I doubt it'll work but given the first two Thor movies it's worth a shot.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:19 AM »
Getting a little Planet Hulk action in there...  looks fun.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 04:27:15 AM »
Feels like they're trying to make Thor into Guardians of the Galaxy. I doubt it'll work but given the first two Thor movies it's worth a shot.

Given the tone and color palate for Guardians, the comparisons are obvious.  But I think many comic book fans, and I'm one of them, aren't looking to Guardians directly for comparison, we're looking to the 70s and 80s Marvel cosmic look and feel, the Jim Starlin stuff et al.  In effect, I think Marvel wants their "cosmic and outer space" properties to reflect some of the wild pre-nitty-gritty-90s bronze age of comics.  Guardians was the first movie done with approximately that feel.  Thor's look and feel isn't a descendant of Guardians, it is more of a sibling.  I think Dr. Strange is a slightly more distant cousin.  But to me, it seems clear Marvel is positioning Iron Man, Spiderman, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc, living in the "real world."  This world is a little more grounded.  The Guardians, Dr. Strange, and Thor all live somewhere else, and that somewhere else is where they can take more risks with colorful (in more ways than one) adventure.  They basically want Star Wars and Star Trek in the same family.

Plus, I don't think Taika Waititi can really do any other kind of Thor.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:48:07 AM »

My thoughts exactly.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:47 AM »
They haven't let me down yet, and this may be a prelude for blending the two together in time for the Infinity War... I imagine much of this is taking place in the Guardian's galactic back yard, after all...

Just a thought.