Author Topic: Batgirl solo film  (Read 2803 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Batgirl solo film
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »
According to Syfy Wire, Joss Whedon is set to write and direct the first Batgirl solo film. My first thought, on reading that: "Please tell me that Summer Glau isn't too old to play, and would be interested in playing, the part that she was meant for!"
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Batgirl solo film
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:59 AM »
According to Syfy Wire, Joss Whedon is set to write and direct the first Batgirl solo film. My first thought, on reading that: "Please tell me that Summer Glau isn't too old to play, and would be interested in playing, the part that she was meant for!"

Is this classic Batgirl or the new lesbian one? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:08:22 AM »
Apparently, there's very little information so far; the article starts by saying that Whedon is "said to be nearing a deal to write, direct and produce" such a film. Copied and pasted:

"No official word yet on any other details about the film, up to and including which version of Batgirl is likely to appear. Sources have told Entertainment Weekly that the film will take on the Barbara Gordon version of the character. More specifically, they claim the film will be based on the New 52 version of the character. Written by Gail Simone, this version of Babs had recently recovered from a spinal injury following her shooting by the Joker in The Killing Joke. During the series, she grapples with everything from Batwoman to the Joker to the Court of Owls, all while struggling to overcome her PTSD and return to the role she once played in the streets of Gotham."
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:26:59 AM »
Is this classic Batgirl or the new lesbian one? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

You're thinking of Batwoman. Barbara is the current Batgirl (again).

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:25:19 AM »
Well if Whedon does this then at some point Batgirl will spar with Batman and either beat him or fight him to a standstill.  His heroines don't lose ever and they always go up against a challenge that should obliterate them.  At least I can't remember any of them losing a fight.

Not that I object because his characters are great but it would be nice to see some vulnerability occasionally.

So have any of them lost a fight?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »
I believe Buffy lost fights on a number of occasions.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Standard heroic lead cycle - lose to big bad, beat big bad, repeat til cancellation.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
Sometimes "beat big bad" ends up a pyrrhic victory.  Joss is pretty mean to his characters.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
If it weren't that Babs has already been paralyzed i'd be waiting for him to maim her face in some way like he seems to enjoy.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
You're thinking of Batwoman. Barbara is the current Batgirl (again).

meh. I lost track 2 reboots ago.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
The main question should be, "Which beloved character will be killed to sate Whedon's bloodlust?"
 ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
The main question should be, "Which beloved character will be killed to sate Whedon's bloodlust?"
 ;D

One half of whichever romance is deep rather than just physical.
Willow Tara
Xander Anya
Zoe Wash
Fred Wesley
           or
Wesley Fred depending on point of view

I would also add characters that are secondary but add heart like Book and Buffy's mom but since it's a movie not a series he isn't going to have time to develop them.

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
Joss has been in "near completed" talks for quite a few movies over the years that never happened.  15 years ago he was set to write and direct Wonder Woman, never happened.  Until shooting starts, don't believe the hype.  Once shooting starts, only believe a little of it.  Even if he does sign, doesn't mean he'll actually finish it (how many directors has the Flash movie had so far?)

If he does it, and Warner keeps their noses out, it'll be great.  But I'm not putting this on my calendar until something more substantial comes up.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
Yeah, but we could get the whole bat-family!

Batgirl
Batwoman
Bat hound
Bat Mite
Man-Bat

Bats...bats everywhere!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
Yeah, but we could get the whole bat-family!

Batgirl
Batwoman
Bat hound
Bat Mite
Man-Bat

Bats...bats everywhere!

You missed Batwing and Bat-Hombre, though Crisis retconned the latter to the Gaucho.