Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 40132 times)

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
Yeesh.  Well, after the initial kick in the teeth that was Statesman, it doesn't really matter what they do now.  They can't really piss off CoX fans any more than they already have.  We're at max velocity in that department anyway.
Not sure there is a maximum for hate or anger. Don't think we've even gotten around to the pitchforks yet.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
The event stage that you have to play to unlock Ghost Widow is Independence Port.

It has Council troops as the main enemies, Galaxy Troops, Archons, Adjutants, Warwolves, Mech bots. Ghost Widow AND Arakhn are the final bosses of the stage. The special stage power-up represents the old Blue, Red, and Green Inspirations.

It's a 100% nostalgia trip and it's fantastic.
Missing this great game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
What, no Family an it's in IP?  ???

Does not sound like anything I'd be interested in. I am not the target audience for MxM. :P

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
The event stage that you have to play to unlock Ghost Widow is Independence Port.

It has Council troops as the main enemies, Galaxy Troops, Archons, Adjutants, Warwolves, Mech bots. Ghost Widow AND Arakhn are the final bosses of the stage. The special stage power-up represents the old Blue, Red, and Green Inspirations.

It's a 100% nostalgia trip and it's fantastic.

Can you give us a rough estimate of the time and $ one would have to invest to get to that stage?

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
What, no Family an it's in IP?  ???

Does not sound like anything I'd be interested in. I am not the target audience for MxM. :P

I think NCSoft (like Marvel) is trying to avoid Organized Crime references in their games. It's a strange decision by both companies, but it is what it is. Plus the Council/5th Column has been one of my favorite villain groups in the setting (Malta 4 Lyfe).

Can you give us a rough estimate of the time and $ one would have to invest to get to that stage?

You can play that stage literally right now. It's in the current Timespace Distortion rotation for the week. Not sure when it leaves but it should be there for at least another 4 days.

If you play consistently and can get at least an A rank at each running of it, you'll be able to pick up enough Badges to unlock Widow and get some weapon upgrades for her through the Badges.
Missing this great game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »
I think NCSoft (like Marvel) is trying to avoid Organized Crime references in their games. It's a strange decision by both companies, but it is what it is. Plus the Council/5th Column has been one of my favorite villain groups in the setting (Malta 4 Lyfe).

So NCSoft wants to avoid referring to organized crime, but is perfectly fine with fascist?  :roll:

CoX is a game where themes revolve around crime and such, rather odd move to exclude the concept of organized crime.

Frankly, I don't buy it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
Watched a yoobs to see if i wanted to bother downloading it for the one mission. Their version of IP made me more nostalgic for X-men Legends than for CoH.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »
I'm sure it's a fine game, given the kind of game it is. But it doesn't draw me as player regardless of how much lore they dump into it.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »
They'd do better to open a free-play nostalgia month. Then you'd see what the response would be and whether it warrants a return.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
So NCSoft wants to avoid referring to organized crime, but is perfectly fine with fascist?  :roll:

CoX is a game where themes revolve around crime and such, rather odd move to exclude the concept of organized crime.

Frankly, I don't buy it.

The Council weren't Facists, they were just a subgroup within the 5th Column.
Missing this great game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »
A sub-group of fascists. Fascist-lite.  :roll:

Come on, the 5th Column and the Council were representations of Mussolini's Fascists and Hitler's Nazis.
How is that any better than La Cosa Nostra? Really?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2017, 01:08:45 AM »
Besides, are you really arguing that the Council is NOT an organized crime syndicate? Cuz they are. Just like the Family.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
It's not the same thing for either situation.

The Center himself may have been Italian but he wasn't a Nazi nor did he work with the Nazi section of the 5th Column, the whole purpose of his breakaway from Requiem and the rest of them was to cut the chaff that was the section of the group (at least this is the way it was presented in game)

Yes Villain groups are Organized Crime but Organized Crime is synonymous with the Mob, which is why the term is applied to it.

Either way, the Council was one of the villain groups you faced in IP even if it wasn't the main one. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to NOT represent the Family, I'm only explaining why it was done.
Missing this great game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2017, 03:11:17 AM »
Formed in 1938 by the fascists Requiem, Vandal and Nosferatu, the 5th Column is an organization that has gone through a great deal of change. From their early days fighting the First Hero Brigade to their rebirth during the Rikti Invasion, they have always been one of the most insidious threats in Paragon City. It's truly ironic that their biggest defeat was at the hands of enemies from within. The Center and his Council cronies beat the 5th Column at their own game, or so it would appear. Not all the loyalists were subsumed by the Council's takeover, and it's only a matter of time before a strong leader brings the 5th Column back to power.

If you take over a bunch of fascist from the inside with the tacit agreement of the majority of the group, the resulting group is still fascist even if you give it a different logo and name. The Council beat the 5th Column at their own game, by exemplifying fascist ideas to a higher degree. They didn't become a kinder and gentler 5th Column, they were worse.

Out of curiousity ross134, since you are 'explaining why it was done', do you have insider info about the decisions made for MxM? Are you a developer for the game, company or perhaps an investor? How do you know 'why' certain decision were made?
Or are you simply advocating for the game and guessing?

I've done my fair share of guessing, so I'm interested in how you've arrived at your opinion.  ;)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2017, 03:24:01 AM »
And the Family runs Independence Port, which is why it seems a very odd choice NOT to use the Family.

Especially when Striga Isle is the place where Council is very present. 

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2017, 03:42:48 AM »
Doc Artz

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2017, 04:24:23 AM »
>.>

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
My 'friends' at NCSoft;
I wanted to add one final comment before I remove NCSoft from my choice of games list;
Over 15,802 backers have pledged $1,014,600 to help bring City of Heroes back to life. So what is a reasonable date to see our monies come back to life? Or is it still NCSoft holding onto their IP rights? Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent?ref=discovery .
South Korea should NEVER forget the tremendous sacrifice made by many fathers and sons to keep South Korea FREE! United States: Total deaths: 54,246; with 33,652 Americans Killed in Action. Unaccounted for: 3,746 Wounded 103,284; Missing in action: 8,196: Total casualties: 169,365
Source: https://www.historyguy.com/korean_war_casualties_and_statistics.htm
Quit ignoring the wishes of the country, USA, which has supported and been willing to die for you and your people for decades.

I REALLY hope you didn't send that... because that is 100% totally the wrong project that you linked to with everything there......