Author Topic: Powerless  (Read 2003 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Powerless
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
I should preface this by saying I've not watched a network sitcom since Seinfeld (unless Arrested Development counts) til this, but the DCU setting triggered my compulsion. It is exactly as bad as I imagined. I can stomach it, but then again I'm watching at double speed so it's basically 10 minutes.

The only real DC characters so far are Jack O' Lantern (a villain version) and Crimson Fox, who for some reason has super strength. But then it occurred to me that despite having read the full run of the Giffen/Dematteis Justice League years when she was around a lot, I wasn't entirely sure she didn't have super strength in the comics, and can't really put my finger on what her powers were apart from being French and being twins.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Powerless
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
I know Marvel had a comic book years and years ago called "Damage Control" which is exactly what this is.
Regular people who clean up super hero messes.

Not sure if DC had their own similar comic, and if this is based on that. (Probably since both comic houses copy each others stuff).

Kind of sucks its not on CW or CBS so they could tie it into the Arrowverse.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
I thought there were members of Damage Control had powers...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
I thought there were members of Damage Control had powers...

I think so too, but I don't remember. I do remember at one point they were engineering battles so they'd get more contracts.

This isn't like damage control though. Damage control did actual repairs from super battles. These people work for a Wayne subsidiary making public tech related to supers. So far they've made a villain proximity detector and a rubble umbrella. Really they could be doing anything though, the DCU bits seem shoehorned in to a generic office comedy.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
I think so too, but I don't remember. I do remember at one point they were engineering battles so they'd get more contracts.

This isn't like damage control though. Damage control did actual repairs from super battles. These people work for a Wayne subsidiary making public tech related to supers. So far they've made a villain proximity detector and a rubble umbrella. Really they could be doing anything though, the DCU bits seem shoehorned in to a generic office comedy.

Ah ok. Some of the adverts say something about cleaning up after super battles, so I assumed it was like Damage Control.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
That's what i thought from the ads too. i'd say maybe the business will expand but I doubt this lasts enough episodes for that.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »
That's what i thought from the ads too. i'd say maybe the business will expand but I doubt this lasts enough episodes for that.

It could last though even with mediocre ratings.  There are absolutely zero big names or special effects to eat up the budget so it won't take much to break even.  And by zero special effects I mean my phone has enough power to handle the special effects they have used so far.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 12:38:43 AM »
I'd like to note that the 4th episode was finally watchable.  I actually showed that to my wife who laughed several times and said "that's cute, I'll watch it".
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:20 AM »
Episode 4 almost seemed like a Venture Bros. plot.  And I think it referenced Van Wayne's comic book origin.  Definitely the best episode so far.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
There's a really good show in this mess, somewhere.  Hopefully, the writers can find it before the network axes it.