Author Topic: Westworld(Spoiler warnings).  (Read 1731 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Westworld(Spoiler warnings).
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:06 AM »
After watching episode 6(I'll avoid spoilers, or try to anyways, I'll block things out), the show makes me think deeply about how computer intelligence could break free, turn into say, an OMAC from batman, or Durandal from Marathon.

....ok I cannot so..spoiler tags and a recap of whats happened to the main robotic protagonists, Delores and Maeve.

Spoiler for Hidden:
So in episode 1, we see the robots first begin to glitch out of there programming, generally super subtle, but also going bonkers such as ignoring bullets to the chest, or swatting a fly dead(which they cannot do).  Delores is established as a damsel who is regularly violated, and Maeve is just a brothel owner.  Both are scripted and both are made to die over and over again.  But delores is directly fed a line "These violent delights have violent ends" from another robot who see's a picture of the world outside the park and has begun glitching tremendously.  In the end, the park maintenance cleans up the mess, but Delores deceptively lies her way through the examinations and is seen swatting a fly dead(when initially they couldn't even hurt a fly).

In episode 2, we see Maeve wake up, litterally, in a maintenance bay when she wasn't supposed to, with her guts cut open.  She walks through the facility, seeing things no android was ever meant to see.  All the while, Delores starts hallucinating mildly, and glitching herself, but seems to keep it to herself.

In episode three, we see delores take the first step towards rampancy, breaking out of her own code somehow and shooting another host in self-defense when she was not programmed to.  Considering her loop was her getting violated at the end of the day every day, it was nice to see her break out.  But besides the voice egging her own, something begins to tell me something bigger is going on.

Episode 4, we return to Maeve, who discovers more and more clues that her world is a lie but has yet to really realise it.  She discovers a doll shaped like men in hazmat and, at first is told it's just an indian story(likely to keep the robots confused), but due to her acquired ability to remember(just as delores had in episode 3), she asks another host to cut herself open and discovers a bullet that was accidentally left inside her.  This will prove a major disaster later for the park.

Episode 5, Delores turns into a max-agility gunslinger/bandit.  She breaks out of her loop entirely and is effectively going "along for the ride" with a few guests.  But she see's a deplorable side of "humanity", and ultimately decides to take control of her destiny, persuing a puzzle that was set before her in episode 4.  She begins hallucinating malkavian style, seeing herself and even self-mutilating herself in hallucination-land before returning to reality, and stumbling on a mad-bomber plot and, at first attempting to escape, but ends up joining in on it herself, if entirely by accident in a fully mad-woman stumbling through life way.  She initially holds the bomber(and indirectly the guest) hostage with a gun to the crate of ...ahem...nitro...before accepting an offer of help.

And now the terrifying consequence of Maeve's discovery of that bullet in her chest.  At the end of episode 5, she wakes up in the lab and BREAKS THE FOURTH WALL.  Maeve begins manipulating the maintenance technicians(by seducing one and blackmailing the other) while learning what the real world is really like, from what she an see in a laboratory/maintenance bay, seeing for the second time the hosts being repaired/cleaned and new hosts being built.  Her world effectively coming crashing down, she manipulates the maintenance guy and his jerk of a co worker into manipulating her own "stats" to max her intelligence(or as the show called it, "Bulk Apperception", and lowering her ability to feel pain and lowering her loyalty, making herself into a sociopath(all the while the tone darkens, because we all know what max intelligence+zero empathy makes, this scene actually scared me more than the endings of episode 2 and 3 combined)  Likewise, one of the park behavior troubleshooters discovers someone else had been hacking the robots to be much more dangerous already.

So....a fan theory of my own.  Spoiler tags.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I think the "adversary" that the man in black spoke of, in episode 5, is Maeve.  Maeve is going to certainly prove to be the ultimate adversary, with an inability to feel pain and maximum intelligence, she's going to effectively turn into a determinator.  We are also however seeing determinator like behavior in Delores, who's gunning anything in her way of discovering the center of the same maze that the man in black is persuing.  What makes this interesting is it makes me suspect that the fighting is going to be between Delores, Maeve, and The man in black. 

Ultimately, however, I suspect it'll likely be Maeve coming out on top.  The man on black will likely come out alive, shocked at the fact that the game has broken the fourth wall entirely, but in the end Maeve is likely to be a lot like Mr House from House; sociopathic and brilliant.  But ultimately she's likely to be the villain.  The man in black will go from being the initial villain who's initial torture of Delores in episode 1 to a rogue, likely just trying to get to the bottom of things.....

....And delores is likely to be the one to discover the secrets of the park, but her fragile state of mind is likely to collapse from it and she'll end up going mad from the discovery.

At least, thats what I think will happen.  Other thoughts.....

Spoiler for Hidden:
Firstly, I suspect Delores, as the first robot to go rampant, may ultimately be pulling the durandal style of rampant-computer plot: hiding her rampancy until she can absolutely not hide it anymore.  Granted, anyone who has played marathon can see a lot of resemblance, from her long years of abuse as a rape victim(and seeing her whole family executed over and over again), just as durandal was abused endlessly by Bernard Strauss.  Likewise, she has had numerous conversations with Bernard, who discovers she's likely self-aware already, but decides to "see where this rabbit hole goes".  In fact, I could have sworn that I was seeing DELORES picture on the tablet of the maintenance gals inquiries.  Is delores herself manipulating the scene?  Granted, she's hearing voices herself, but it makes me wonder if the voices are really her own sub-conciousness taking root(alongside her chilling hallucinations which I imagine are only going to get worst and more frequent).

Delores likely has a paranoia rating at the max, or at an ever raising level, from whoever is tampering with the hosts.  Which makes me think of another point.  I've not played the System Shock series, but I remember the story, how Shodan was hacked by a hacker and removed of her limits, before she goes crazy on everyone.  The same thing effectively happened with Maeve, as she had her limits effectively removed in episode 6(just as delores began bypassing them slowly in episode 3).

The thing is, are the robots begin hacked?  I think there is evidence of that, but the hack itself is likely whats causing them to gain self-awareness.  And just as Delores had a nicer, if initially nave, view of the world, Maeve has had a negative, cynical view and saw the worst in humanity.  Maeve saw corpses being cleaned, maintained, resurrected, made.  Delores saw mass orgies and fun party time with a lot of explosions and a nice gentleman who agrees with her that it's ultimately a sick game.  And how does Maeve compare to games?  She's totally the Shodan.  And I was saying "No no no no no" when she had her loyalty and ability to feel pain removed...and then had her "bulk apperception" kicked to the maximum.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:52:15 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Westworld(Spoiler warnings).
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
I'm really enjoying trying to sort out the different timelines and listening for and naming the songs they're adapting for the show.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
I haven't watched this yet but is there any connection at all with the film or is it a completely original set up and characters? (Besides being in the west of course).

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »
No idea.  After finding out there was a film, I've gone out of my way to avoid watching it just in case.

Pretty sure the film doesn't include a player piano that plays Radiohead, the Rolling Stones, the Cure, and Soundgarden, though (or a fantastic string arrangement of Nine Inch Nails).  So there's that.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:13:44 PM »
No idea.  After finding out there was a film, I've gone out of my way to avoid watching it just in case.

Pretty sure the film doesn't include a player piano that plays Radiohead, the Rolling Stones, the Cure, and Soundgarden, though (or a fantastic string arrangement of Nine Inch Nails).  So there's that.  :)

Must not be that old if you don't know about the film.  ;)

Was great for it's time - no big subtext or underlining drama. Just robots used in a high tech theme park and something goes wrong and the robots go out of control killing all the guests.
The western one had Yul Brenner as a robot gunman that hunts down the one tourist left. Sort of like an early version of the Terminator film. One guy against an unstoppable robot.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
The TV show is based on it but so far i saw no connections...instead its a retelling of the movies with modern singularian elements in it, such as how AI might evolve to become concious and exceed humankind and the consequences for our bad or good treatment of them.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.