Author Topic: Arrow Season 5  (Read 23562 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Re: Arrow Season 5
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Sometimes I don't think the show plays fair with us.  They have Adrian get shot and then show Vigilante out and about in the same episode. Clearly a normal human would not be able to be out shooting Oliver when he's got a bullet wound, but then again the show has a hazy relationship with real consequences of injury, so it's possible that Adrian is crazy enough to go out there when he's shot.  Oliver's done similar things. 

So, having Adrian be Prometheus while there's a character called Vigilante is dirty pool. 

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
From the previews for this week, apparently it's Oliver being tortured by Adrian in a room fro 42 minutes.

Hard pass.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »
Wild speculation, based on the fact that we haven't seen her in a long time: I wonder if there's any connection between Evelyn and Vigilante. Her desire for vengeance against Oliver would suggest that she wouldn't stay quiet on the sidelines for this long. Has there been any scene, so far, that would exonerate her from actually BEING Vigilante? (Such as, she was with the team while they fought Vig, or something similar.) Although, as I recall, she's pretty short, compared to the rest of Team Arrow, which would suggest that she isn't.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Pretty sure she was with them at least once when they were going after him. I'd check but that'd involve watching parts of these again which is too horrible to even contemplate.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
Well, that was the worst episode in recent memory.  Maybe even the worst of the season.  So many steps backward through tedious exposition and flashback.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »
Well, that was the worst episode in recent memory.  Maybe even the worst of the season.  So many steps backward through tedious exposition and flashback.

Did you already forget the gun PSA?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:33 PM »
Nope.  That episode was just pointless, and it didn't really affect anything.  The awfulness of the more recent episode of which I spoke far exceeds it. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
So, I didn't actually watch this week's episode. From the trailer and blurbs, it didn't look like my thing.  I've since read/watched some reviews and I understand that the following happened:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Oliver revealed that he likes killing and putting on the costume was a way to justify or enable that.

That's not a hero motivation.  That's a psychopath motivation.  That's a villain.  That's not what I signed up for with this show.  I think I'm done with watching Arrow at this point.  Season 1 was fantastic, S2 was good, S3 was meh and S4 was abysmal.  Now, in S5, Oliver is revealed as a serial killer. 

I give up.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
Like I said, it was a colossal step backwards.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
Well, really, subjected to torture long enough, people will tell you anything you want to hear even if it isn't true, so who knows.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2017, 02:11:05 AM »
A few days of petty torture versus the infinite amount of time and hardships he endured all over the world (and possibly on the moon and in alternate dimensions) during the five years he was missing?  A hero should be made of sterner stuff.  There are four lights.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2017, 02:28:50 AM »
Well, really, subjected to torture long enough, people will tell you anything you want to hear even if it isn't true, so who knows.

I'm well past being ready to tell the writers of these shows anything they want to hear :D

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
I'm well past being ready to tell the writers of these shows anything they want to hear :D
To be fair, they brought that up themselves in the flashbacks.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »
It's been pretty obvious from the beginning that Oliver preferred killing and torture.  And by pretty obvious I mean blatantly obvious with a flashing neon sign over his head saying "I love killing!" I honestly don't see how anybody who has watched the series could have missed that.

Arrow has never been Flash or even Batman.  He has always been the Dexter of the CW verse.  The only difference is the writers have now said it out loud instead of just in actions.

I don't think this episode was so much about making Oliver admit he prefers killing but making fans admit it.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
I fundamentally disagree with this characterization.

Oliver thought killing/torture were necessary or even appropriate, but he never wallowed in it.  He never did it for fun.  He didn't keep torturing people he had strung up once they gave him what they wanted.  He didn't torture people to make an example of them and strike fear into people.  He didn't go out of his way to kill more people than required.  He didn't use long, drawn out painful ways to kill.  He just put an arrow through the people he thought were bad and moved on.  We never saw him doing anything after he had killed someone to show that he enjoyed it.  He was generally satisfied that he had done (in his opinion) the right thing, but he wasn't back at the arrow cave smoking a cigarette.

This is a significant change to the character that has been presented so far.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
Maybe it's just another knock on effect from Barry messing with the timeline and Ollie now thinks that he's in a comic from the 90s? :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
He's at least 75 pockets short on his costume for that.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
He should also probably carry an assault rifle in his quiver, and to be more XTREME! his bow should fire katanas instead of arrows.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »
He should also probably carry an assault rifle in his quiver, and to be more XTREME! his bow should fire katanas instead of arrows.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
If I were the DM, I would've said "I can dig it..."