Author Topic: Access Denied  (Read 2714 times)

SilverSanguis

• Underling
Access Denied
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
For some reason i'm getting an Access Denied error whenever i'm trying to run the client. I haven't seen anything about this in the forums yet - It's not the AV (excluded) and the app runs as admin (Windows 7).

It says something about being unable to access the files, but those are in the right folder, and i've even removed the read-only attrib... I'm at a loss.

Currently redownloading I24 from scratch and seeing if a fresh install helps. By the way - Paragon Chat desperately needs an uninstaller! I had to find the registry entries manually and remove them to properly reset the app.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Access Denied
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
For some reason i'm getting an Access Denied error whenever i'm trying to run the client.

Can you post the exact text of the message to narrow down where it's coming from?

It's not the AV (excluded)

It probably is. 90% chance. Even if the exclusion is preventing the AV from deleting the files, many, many of them have their hooks deep in the OS and "helpfully" block things for you.

The other 10% chance is that the file permissions in your profile are very messed up, but that would probably cause lots of other issues that you would have noticed.

and the app runs as admin (Windows 7).

Don't.

Currently redownloading I24 from scratch and seeing if a fresh install helps.

It won't, waste of bandwidth. If Paragon Chat accepted the I24 install, then it already verified the checksum on the key files it cares about.

By the way - Paragon Chat desperately needs an uninstaller! I had to find the registry entries manually and remove them to properly reset the app.

What settings were you trying to reset that you had to go into the registry for? The only thing Paragon Chat stores there is the location of the I24 files, which I agree does need a UI to change (it'll be in the options panel when it's done).

Reinstalling Paragon Chat is very unlikely to make a difference, since it doesn't really install in the first place. Just deleting the files is sufficient if you want to get rid of it. In future versions I'll probably move the registry settings into an ini file, making it completely self-contained.

SilverSanguis

• Underling
Re: Access Denied
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:58:15 AM »
You were right - Seems i got the wrong exclusion done...

I had a paragonchat.exe in the coh folder (from the tequila installer), i just excluded the entire appdata/paragonchat folder and it works :)